There are 180 users in the forums

1st Rd. Prospect: Justin Hunter - WR (Ten)

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I'm probably one of the few that would be pretty happy with Hunter in rd 1. I never wavered in taking him off of my first round grades. 6' 4" , legit 4.4 speed, and his agility tests were very good.. also a great vertical. It's not ALL about the numbers either... he's been productive too. That's the guy I want complementing Crabtree... but there are a few other 1st rounders I want more.

Of the top WR prospects in the draft, Hunter basically falls at the bottom of my list for several reasons

1-Not a natural hands catcher, in college he used his speed to get separation on any defensive back, at the next level he's going to have less room to operate and will be tested.

2-He's built like an NBA point guard. 6'4" and under 200 pounds is not good, its one reason I suspect why he so frequently went down after first contact

3-Lousy run blocker, a lot of the time he didn't even seem to try and half-ass it, just basically gave up.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM ]
Wouldn't mind Hunter with our late 2nd, but I'd prefer Da'Rick Rogers in the 3rd.
^^^ Rogers won't last till the 3rd. Character concerns or not, he's too talented to fall that far.

I don't like Hunter very much.... at least not in rounds 1 or 2. He needs to develop a bit physically. He's lanky and not real physical for a 6'4" receiver. I think he'd be an injury concern. Somebody with a less immediate need for a WR will draft him in round 2. He will contribute in a supporting role while he gets stonger.

We have an immediate need for a tough, physical receiver that can start now. I'm hoping for Da'Rick Rogers or DeAndre Hopkins in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by blm7754:
^^^ Rogers won't last till the 3rd. Character concerns or not, he's too talented to fall that far.

I don't like Hunter very much.... at least not in rounds 1 or 2. He needs to develop a bit physically. He's lanky and not real physical for a 6'4" receiver. I think he'd be an injury concern. Somebody with a less immediate need for a WR will draft him in round 2. He will contribute in a supporting role while he gets stonger.

We have an immediate need for a tough, physical receiver that can start now. I'm hoping for Da'Rick Rogers or DeAndre Hopkins in the 2nd round.

I see what you mean. Rogers is ultra talented. He can fall anywhere from late 2nd to late 3rd. I'd prefer picking up d-linemen in the 2nd if we go secondary with the 1st.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I see what you mean. Rogers is ultra talented. He can fall anywhere from late 2nd to late 3rd. I'd prefer picking up d-linemen in the 2nd if we go secondary with the 1st.

Well, that's the beauty of having KC's 2nd (suckers )... we can DB + DL with 31 & 34 and use 61 to get a WR. Rogers, Hopkins, Hunter, Quinton Patton (another good one) would all be within reach from 61. We could even use one of our 2 3rd rounders to move up from 61 to ensure we get the right guy.

This draft is going to be awesome!

the Lindys and Pro football weekly mags are out for the draft and one (lindys) compared darick rogers to julio jones in terms of physical style of play

Well, that's the beauty of having KC's 2nd (suckers )... we can DB + DL with 31 & 34 and use 61 to get a WR. Rogers, Hopkins, Hunter, Quinton Patton (another good one) would all be within reach from 61. We could even use one of our 2 3rd rounders to move up from 61 to ensure we get the right guy.

One of my favorite prospects (other than Da'Rick) is NT Brandon Williams, who falls around the same range within late 2nd to late 3rd. If we can somehow get both Brandon and Da'Rick, I'd be a happy camper. Can you imagine a draft that fell like this:

Johnthan Banks
Margus Hunt
Brandon Williams
Da'Rick Rogers
Jamie Collins
Bacarri Rambo
Marcus Lattimore

One of my favorite prospects (other than Da'Rick) is NT Brandon Williams, who falls around the same range within late 2nd to late 3rd. If we can somehow get both Brandon and Da'Rick, I'd be a happy camper. Can you imagine a draft that fell like this:

Johnthan Banks
Margus Hunt
Brandon Williams
Da'Rick Rogers
Jamie Collins
Bacarri Rambo
Marcus Lattimore

That would be sweet. Brandon Williams is a beast... but I'd prefer Jessie Williams. He's a bit more athletic, but he'd probably be gone by 61. Hunt will probably fall though, due to his age. I would love this:

Jonathan Banks
Jessie Williams
Margus Hunt
Da'Rick Rogers

Having so many picks in rounds 3-5 gives us SO much flexibility. We can use those to jockey for position and get exactly the guys we want.
We just picked a WR in the 1st round last year.....

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

aaaand? We picked 2 linemen in the 1st in 1 year before. So?

No worries... we ain't picking a WR in the 1st this year. Especially not Justin Hunter.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

aaaand? We picked 2 linemen in the 1st in 1 year before. So?

Have you seen our D Line dropoff after the Justin Smith injury? Are we the Lions now? WR 1st every single year? They finished 4 - 12 last year.
Too many dropsies. No thanks especially with this WR class. Would rather spend the first two picks on D.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Watch Patterson's highlights and Randy Moss' when he was at Marshall and you'll see a mirror of each other..
Share 49ersWebzone