LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

1st Rd. Prospect: Justin Hunter - WR (Ten)

Originally posted by nickbradley:
What?

we only have 4 WRs under contract for 2013, and Manningham will be in the final year of his contract, and Kdub will be coming off a torn ACL (and is in a contract year).

Jenkins has zero career catches.

its a a huge need

Re-sign Manningham who's done well enough in his role, draft a WR in the later rounds, of which there will be plenty of. In this draft you're likely to get similar talent in the late 2nd and 3rd as you are in the 1st. You're also assuming that they don't bring back Moss as well. Its a situation that now looks more urgent than it likely will be, just like last year when people thought that this team needed to draft 2 or 3 WR's and all of a sudden it turns out that the 1st round pick can't even get on the field because they had plenty of them.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Won't make it to our pick? Let me address that. First, you never know when a prospect will fall. Second, the team could easily trade up, and likely will, given the number of picks we have. Also, Hunter is actually expected in that range. Late first round, to early 2nd. Finally, how does it make sense that you're saying that he's not that good, and has an injury history, and won't make it to our pick. You're either saying he isn't worth the 32nd(hopefully) overall pick, or that he's not going to make it to it. Sounds like you're saying both. A contradiction if you ask me. Now if you don't like him, that's fine. But I'm not sure I would go as far as to guarantee that we won't draft him, or to say that talking about him is pointless.

It is pointless, he'll go higher because of his size and speed combination, somebody will deem it worth the risk, even considering his inconsistency and the torn ACL that he suffered. I just hope that someone is not the 49ers. With Fisher, the Rams will use on their two first rounds on a WR, regardless of who it is, especially after they missed out on Blackmon last year. I see the Dolphins taking whoever the likely consensus top WR is, after that, it'll come down to guys like Hunter, Austin and Patterson depending on combine results etc.

Secondly, I'm not all that fond of Hunter, he's prone to drops far too often for my liking, doesn't use his considerable size well when blocking and is generally inconsistent. Its not a good thing when people go Al Davis style and say "wow, this guy's so big and he's fast" with the inference being that he obviously must be awesome and I don't see that with Hunter at all. I'd much rather take his teammate Patterson, Patton as mentioned, or Matthews in the late 3rd round. Right now he's inconsistent as all hell and you don't know what you're going to get with this guy, his potential is tremendous, but his bust potential is probably higher than others based on the fact that you just don't know what the heck he's going to do or whether or not he's willing to put in the work required to be great.

If the 49ers go out and draft a WR in the first round next year, you can come back here and rant about it and I'll accept that I was wrong, but with Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins and Williams coming back from injury, with the team running 2 TE sets as often as they do, I don't see them dropping a second consecutive first rounder on a position where the team is more relatively set than some others.

I'll disagree that the discussion is pointless, but you not liking him is understandable. He is inconsistent, and rumor has it that lack of appropriate effort may be the reason. However, I think this team is in position to take a risk. If he plays up to his potential, with our RBs, OL, VD, Crabs and Kaep, to add a guy who can be a true #1 (AJ Green/ CJ/ Roddy White type), our offense could be extremely dynamic, and start matching our defense. If he doesn't work out, he'll still be a pretty good WR. If he doesn't work out AT ALL, then we still have 13 picks to improve an already super-bowl contending team. I feel like we're in a perfect situation for high risk, high reward players.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I'll disagree that the discussion is pointless, but you not liking him is understandable. He is inconsistent, and rumor has it that lack of appropriate effort may be the reason. However, I think this team is in position to take a risk. If he plays up to his potential, with our RBs, OL, VD, Crabs and Kaep, to add a guy who can be a true #1 (AJ Green/ CJ/ Roddy White type), our offense could be extremely dynamic, and start matching our defense. If he doesn't work out, he'll still be a pretty good WR. If he doesn't work out AT ALL, then we still have 13 picks to improve an already super-bowl contending team. I feel like we're in a perfect situation for high risk, high reward players.

Which position are they less set at? I think we're more set at almost every other position. Remember, WRs see the field more often than any other position (distribution of playing time)
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Which position are they less set at? I think we're more set at almost every other position. Remember, WRs see the field more often than any other position (distribution of playing time)

Yeah, AJ Jenkins has gotten a ton of time out on the field this year. Bottomline, if the 49ers were to lose Justin Smith at this point for any amount of time, they're screwed, if they lose Aldon Smith, they're screwed, if they lose Goldson....you guessed it, they are screwed. They've lost WR's this season and haven't really skipped a beat. This offense will always use a limited amount of WR's, so I'm far less concerned about that position than getting proper defensive depth which is ultimately the strength of this team and the only reason they're even close to the playoffs.
Yeah, AJ Jenkins has gotten a ton of time out on the field this year. Bottomline, if the 49ers were to lose Justin Smith at this point for any amount of time, they're screwed, if they lose Aldon Smith, they're screwed, if they lose Goldson....you guessed it, they are screwed. They've lost WR's this season and haven't really skipped a beat. This offense will always use a limited amount of WR's, so I'm far less concerned about that position than getting proper defensive depth which is ultimately the strength of this team and the only reason they're even close to the playoffs.

With Justin and Aldon, I am inclined ti agree. With Goldson, less inclined. We are all in the dark on how well Spillman, Robinson, etc. would fill in for Goldson, if they needed to.
Re-sign Manningham who's done well enough in his role, draft a WR in the later rounds, of which there will be plenty of. In this draft you're likely to get similar talent in the late 2nd and 3rd as you are in the 1st. You're also assuming that they don't bring back Moss as well. Its a situation that now looks more urgent than it likely will be, just like last year when people thought that this team needed to draft 2 or 3 WR's and all of a sudden it turns out that the 1st round pick can't even get on the field because they had plenty of them.

I agree. I love what Manningham has done and I hope he gets an extension. I think we have a pretty good group of receivers. Michael Crabtree has completely broken out and has gone a long way in changing the way he is perceived around here. I already have spoken on Mario Manningham. Kyle Williams was coming along nicely and I am comfortable with him as the 4th receiver. AJ Jenkins should be prepared to step up in 2013. I don't mind us drafting a receiver, but if we do, it should be a low pick (5th-7th round or undrafted). This may sound crazy to some, but I think this team has enough weapons and with CK at the helm, is still learning how to use them all effectively.

It is for this reason that I see us going heavy ion the defensive side of the ball early in the draft. The only positions on the offensive side of the ball that I can see us drafting early are TE (I like Delanie Walker a lot, but he is not a reliable pass catcher) and OT to back up Staley and Davis. Outside of that, we are pretty set and have some solid depth. Defense, not so much.
I have to agree with Phoenix here. Our defensive depth is nonexistent and it probably has a lot to do with why we lay an egg every third game. We hardly substitute at all on defense and the fatigue shows at times. We need quality rotational guys across the board on defense.

Priorities in order of importance...

1. A 3-4 DE to rotate with Justin and Ray McDonald and eventually start.
2. A pass rushing OLB. More than half our sacks this year have come from Aldon. Big-time defenses should have multiple pass rushing threats.
3. A nose tackle to spell and eventually replace Sopoaga.
4. A tight end or h-back type to replace Delanie Walker.
5. A big, physical corner to spell and eventually replace Carlos Rogers.
6. A wide receiver that can also contribute in the return game to replace Ginn.
7. A backup QB to replace Alex.
  • dj43
DL depth is a big issue, however, in order to get to the playoffs, you have to win the division, and that means beating Seattle. With the size of their secondary, a bunch of 6' guys isn't going to cut it. Hunter likely won't be available at 24-28 (where I project the 49ers drafting) but I would be shocked if Baalke did not go for a big, strong WR in the 2nd/3rd round. 6'3", 225 to battle Sherman/Browner. Can't have Kyle Williams type going against those guys.
I think hunter will be good but I think Patterson will be better, he is more explosive and can be a josh cribs like returner. If I had to choose I would move up from our second round pick to higher in the round and select Patterson.

Originally posted by dj43:
DL depth is a big issue, however, in order to get to the playoffs, you have to win the division, and that means beating Seattle. With the size of their secondary, a bunch of 6' guys isn't going to cut it. Hunter likely won't be available at 24-28 (where I project the 49ers drafting) but I would be shocked if Baalke did not go for a big, strong WR in the 2nd/3rd round. 6'3", 225 to battle Sherman/Browner. Can't have Kyle Williams type going against those guys.

You don't necessarily go strength vs strength to handle bigger CB's......instead you add shifty, super-quick guys that are a matchup nightmare, especially for bigger CB's who might not be as fluid in hip movement, Browner certainly isn't. Keep in mind that Brady threw for about 400 yards vs those guys and Welker torched them.

not overly impressed eh
[ Edited by dyNASTYmode on Feb 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM ]
Would like him in the 2nd, if he makes it that far.

Made some money today. Very similar measurements to last years draft crush Stephen Hill. Not as fast but explosive and more polished entering the NFL.
[ Edited by LottOfDefense on Feb 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM ]
Seeing a few mocks and an article on Walters about scouts rating him in the 1st round. Wonder what other people takes are?
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Seeing a few mocks and an article on Walters about scouts rating him in the 1st round. Wonder what other people takes are?

I'm probably one of the few that would be pretty happy with Hunter in rd 1. I never wavered in taking him off of my first round grades. 6' 4" , legit 4.4 speed, and his agility tests were very good.. also a great vertical. It's not ALL about the numbers either... he's been productive too. That's the guy I want complementing Crabtree... but there are a few other 1st rounders I want more.
Share 49ersWebzone