There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Geek's Mock Plan V2.0

  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,124
Offensive Needs: #2 TE, WR, Depth at OT and OG
Defensive Needs: NT, Rotational DE, Depth at ILB
Special Teams Needs: K, PR

Trade -
Alex Smith to KC Chiefs for 2014 2nd round draft pick.

Cut -
David Akers - K
Garrett Celek - TE

Restructure/Extend - (Salary Cap Relief for 2013)
Jonathan Goodwin - C
Parys Haralson - DE/OLB
Justin Smith - DT/DE

Resign -
Dashon Goldson - FS
Ricky Jean-Francois - NT/DE
Tarvares Gooden - ILB

Free Agency -

Dwayne Bowe - Chiefs - WR
*Yes, I know what you are all going to say. "We got Crabs and Mario...we don't need no stinkin Bowe" But Bowe embodies everything we are looking for in a WR - strong route runner, good hands, willing to help out in the run. Manningham is a great #3, and a good #2. But the reality is this: Mario has 1 year left, Crabs has 2 years, KW is injury prone, and AJ is unproven. Look at the Falcons or Giants...Bowe would be a great fit!

Desmond Bryant - DT/DE - Raiders
*I still think Bryant is a great fit for our team. Sound pass rusher, getting stronger as a run defender.

Matt Moore - QB - Dolphins
*Competes with Kaepernick for the starting gig.

NFL Draft -

Trade: 49ers 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (via Panthers) for Chargers 1st round pick

R1: Johnathan Hankins - NT/DE - Ohio State (via Chargers)
*Huge frame with potential to DOMINATE in the pros. Showed a lot of amazing skills this past season.

R3: Dustin Harris - CB/PR - Texas A&M
*Electrifying punt returner and emerging pass defender, Harris beefs up our potential in the secondary.

R3: Ryan Otten - TE - San Jose State (comp)
*With a strong senior bowl, you can bet Otten's value is going to jump. Otten has great size and speed at the TE position. Knows how to run routes effectively and get open on the field. Very high YPC average.

R4: D.J. Swearinger - FS - South Carolina
*49ers salivate over Swearinger's potential in the pros. Strong special teams player right off the bat.

R5: Dustin Hopkins - K - Florida (via Colts)
*The best kicker in the draft.

Trade: 5th and 6th round picks for 2014 4th round pick.

R6: John Wetzel - OT - Boston College (via Dolphins)
*Replaces Leonard Davis on the roster.

R7: Jordan Rodgers - QB - Vanderbilt(via Bengals)
*Competes with Tolzien for the #3 gig.

R7: Michael Mauti - LB - Penn State
*If healthy, Mauti would be a 2nd round pick. But with multiple ACL injuries, teams will not want to take an earlier pick on him. As a #4 ILB/ST player, the 49ers have little risk in this pick. And with strong conditioning, maybe Mauti can lower the chances of injuries.

R7: Kenbrell Thompkins - WR - Cincinnati(comp)
*Slot WR to add depth to Kyle Williams

R7: Montel Harris - RB - Temple(comp)
*Training camp fodder.

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Moore*/Tolzien
RB: Gore/Hunter/James/Harris*
FB: Miller/Dixon
TE: Davis/Otten*/Dobbs

WR: Crabtree/Jenkins
WR: Bowe*/Williams
WR: Manningham/Thompkins*

LT: Staley
LG: Iupati
C: Goodwin/Kilgore
RG: Boone/Looney
RT: Davis/Wetzel*

LE: Smith/Bryant
NT: Hankins*/Williams
RE: McDonald/Jean-Francois

OLB: Smith/Fleming
ILB: Willis/Mauti*
ILB: Bowman/Gooden
OLB: Brooks/Haralson

CB: Rogers/Culliver/Cox
CB: Brown/Harris*
FS: Goldson/Swearinger*/Robinson
SS: Whitner/Spillman

ST: Hopkins*, Lee, Jennings

Added 2nd and 4th round picks in the 2014 draft.
Keeping Goldson and moving up in the draft is good. Probably can't afford Bowe with the tight cap.
Matt Moore? Starting gig?
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,332
Quit reading after you considered Matt Moore as competition for Kaepernick.
The trade for Smith is unrealistic in my opinion. Nobody is going to trade for a guy that folks assume we are going to release. Maybe it happens but I think that's a very thin maybe. I would get rid of Goodwin and I think center is a need. No way would i extend him. I do like Hankins but not sure I would give up that much for him. All these DT's are toss ups to me at this point. Matt Moore would be a solid back up but he's not competition. I like the Bowe signing but like others said with the tight cap I don't see it happening.
This is like a bizarre fantasyland. First of all the 49ers aren't getting Bowe, period. Can't do it, the money isn't there, won't happen.


Also Matt Moore? Serious? They're better off having Tolzien as the #2 and drafting a late round QB to be the emergency quarterback. Teams like the Packers, Eagles and Patriots have done just fine drafting their backup QB's, rather than signing random scrub veterans. In the case of the Eagles they've been able to later send off those same QB's for additional draft picks(Kolb, AJ Feeley).

Alex Smith isn't fetching a 2nd round pick in a trade from anyone, especially the Chiefs. 49ers have little leverage as teams know that they'll have to dump him to avoid paying him the roster bonus. However I think a couple of teams will fancy him enough, adding him to their roster without having to compete for his services to offer up a 4th rounder in exchange.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 14, 2012 at 8:26 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
The trade for Smith is unrealistic in my opinion. Nobody is going to trade for a guy that folks assume we are going to release. Maybe it happens but I think that's a very thin maybe. I would get rid of Goodwin and I think center is a need. No way would i extend him. I do like Hankins but not sure I would give up that much for him. All these DT's are toss ups to me at this point. Matt Moore would be a solid back up but he's not competition. I like the Bowe signing but like others said with the tight cap I don't see it happening.

The only DT I'd be wanting to trade up that much for is Lotulelei, the rest don't have very much separation and you're as likely to find a good DT in the 2nd round as you are in the 1st.
Agree with everything said in response here except for Smith. 1 million dollars is peanuts to pay for a draft pick. We pick up the bonus and trade him to one of about 5 teams that will badly need QB help when there is none to be had in the draft or free agency. I am think more like a 3rd rounder though...second is too high.

Moore is trash and no way in CK's league, Bowe is going to cost a fortune and we will struggle to have enough cash to resign just Goldson...so I have no idea where your getting your numbers from Geek...i dont hate your draft though, maybe would have liked to have seen a true center in the pipeline, not just converted gaurds who may or may not pan out.
Originally posted by DVDA:
Quit reading after you considered Matt Moore as competition for Kaepernick.

Lol...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is like a bizarre fantasyland. First of all the 49ers aren't getting Bowe, period. Can't do it, the money isn't there, won't happen.


Also Matt Moore? Serious? They're better off having Tolzien as the #2 and drafting a late round QB to be the emergency quarterback. Teams like the Packers, Eagles and Patriots have done just fine drafting their backup QB's, rather than signing random scrub veterans. In the case of the Eagles they've been able to later send off those same QB's for additional draft picks(Kolb, AJ Feeley).

Alex Smith isn't fetching a 2nd round pick in a trade from anyone, especially the Chiefs. 49ers have little leverage as teams know that they'll have to dump him to avoid paying him the roster bonus. However I think a couple of teams will fancy him enough, adding him to their roster without having to compete for his services to offer up a 4th rounder in exchange.

I don't think Bowe is unafordable. There are some contracts on the team that could be cut or restructured to make the space. Most of our key players are signed for the long term already. Kaep can play under his current for 1 year. If Bowe allows a discount to be with a contender, I wouldn't call it impossible.
Interesting post - thanks.

The reasons I think Alex will be traded and not let go are:

A). His salary is VERY user friendly.

B). He has proven he can play at a very competent level.

C). Any team that feels it can really use him and if they have SMARTS will not let him get away. That's stupid! That thinking says, "Oh, we'll wait until he's released and he'll definitely sign w/ us." NOT!

D). I think a rd or a high 4th would be a realistic trade to an AFC team. KC is my hope.

E).
Sorry about that,

E). He is an excellent TEAM guy. Look how he has been through all this drama. No whining to the press, no trying to disrupt the locker room. He has been a man and that is a major leadership trait that smart teams want on their roster.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I don't think Bowe is unafordable. There are some contracts on the team that could be cut or restructured to make the space. Most of our key players are signed for the long term already. Kaep can play under his current for 1 year. If Bowe allows a discount to be with a contender, I wouldn't call it impossible.

I do, because he simply isn't. If you give money to Bowe, you take money away from someone else such as Goldson, plain and simple. Looking down the road, 49ers will shortly have to re-sign Crabtree, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Aldon Smith, Kaepernick, Chris Culliver, so no, not all of the key players are signed for a long time. If WR is still an issue, the 49ers need to address it through the draft rather than blowing money that they simply CAN'T afford to blow on a persistent malcontent.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Interesting post - thanks.

The reasons I think Alex will be traded and not let go are:

A). His salary is VERY user friendly.

B). He has proven he can play at a very competent level.

C). Any team that feels it can really use him and if they have SMARTS will not let him get away. That's stupid! That thinking says, "Oh, we'll wait until he's released and he'll definitely sign w/ us." NOT!

D). I think a rd or a high 4th would be a realistic trade to an AFC team. KC is my hope.

E).


So you are placing the open market value of a 4th round pick to be 1 million dollars??? The Niners have too many draft picks this year and will be trading picks away. There is no way they pick uip the option of 1 million and try to trade alex. The Niners will simply let him walk, just to end the saga.
Couple of thoughts on free agency and trade ideas:

- Alex will not garner a second round pick. Teams know that the Niners are not going to risk holding on to him long enough to pay his roster bonus and 7.5 million guaranteed salary.
- Like all your resignings and extensions for existing Niners.
- Like the Desmond Bryant free agency signing, but Bowe is a pipe dream and the Niners will not need a Matt Moore for competition. They have so many draft picks that a developmental pick in the late rounds is much more cost effective.

Draft

- Hankins could go top 5 and trading 3 picks seems like a lot for a d-lineman.
- Great picks in rounds 3-5.