There are 170 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There's no doubt the guy's got enormous potential...but is that what you want in a #1 pick? I don't think so...you want a guy who has the talent to come in and start right away if needed. He's still very raw, by just about every account I've read...instead of taking a chance he'll develop at the speed of a meteor, I'd go after one of several bigs who can play anywhere on the DL. I'm talking about both Williams'...Jesse and Sylvester, Hankins (despite his slow 40 time), Jenkins, Floyd, Richardson. Few players are absolute sure things, but again, it's our #1 pick we're talking about here. I'd be very leery about a raw player who "might" reach some freakish potential at some point. To truly beef up the DL, I'd go with a more sure pick.

That's the goal, but it doesn't always work like that (AJJ). From what I've seen, he look very strong and has good quickness and size, but does need to get lower so he doesn't get pushed back on run plays. I'd be ok drafting him, because he looks like a Calais Campbell type.
Hankins....disssappeared.....Williams.....can't rush......Jenkins.......horrible techinique sumo wrestler.........Those are the guys that are gonna make it to us. Don't count on Floyd or Rich being there. My point is you people.are.so critical of Margus yet all the other prospects you list are just a inconsistent. The qualties Hunt has are incredible and I woukd put him ahead of any other prospect besides.rich and floyd. Hunt is the perfect 5tec end. He doesn't know what he's doing. He'sa champion shot and discuss thrower so he knows how to perfect his craft. Hes been playing football 4 YEARS. He could start immediately on special teams and he holds a ncaa record for blocked punts. I wouldn't gamble in the first. I think we go with a db but if he's somehow there in the second i hope we pick him.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Hankins....disssappeared.....Williams.....can't rush......Jenkins.......horrible techinique sumo wrestler.........Those are the guys that are gonna make it to us. Don't count on Floyd or Rich being there. My point is you people.are.so critical of Margus yet all the other prospects you list are just a inconsistent. The qualties Hunt has are incredible and I woukd put him ahead of any other prospect besides.rich and floyd. Hunt is the perfect 5tec end. He doesn't know what he's doing. He'sa champion shot and discuss thrower so he knows how to perfect his craft. Hes been playing football 4 YEARS. He could start immediately on special teams and he holds a ncaa record for blocked punts. I wouldn't gamble in the first. I think we go with a db but if he's somehow there in the second i hope we pick him.

this dude is also like 7 years older than all the other guys you mentioned
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Kaep will be 25 when the season starts and 26 in November. Kaep's only played in 10 games or so and looks this good. What if Hunt just rotates in and learns this year? The following year he comes in and gets 8 sacks. Hunt would be 27 by the start of his second year. Would 8 sacks be worth a 27 year old? 5 sacks? Or what about a guy that just helps the team D overall and collapses the pocket and we rack up 45 sacks as a team?

There is only 1 year between Kaep and him. Everyone said Kaep was too Raw as well. Kaep had to learn the toughest position. Hunt would only have to rush the QB at first anf then learn the D schemes.

Kaepernick didn't just start playing football in 2009.
I know but every story won't be the same. My point is that with Kaep everyone said he was too Raw, he needed to transition from the pistol, learn from under center, etc... I remember in the last offseason seeing the same picture of his ugly throwing motion and a good number in the zone saying that he was a project and we missed on Dalton, etc...

Hunt has a lot to work on. But with our front 7 I think he fits well. Justin is a beast. Aldon's got those long arms. Willis and bowman are the best MLB's. Brooks is good and really under-rated. Ray Mac and the NT need help. I don't see a great NT in the front half of the draft. Hunt would bring great speed to the Dline, He's got those long arms - mixed with some awesome power. Since he was a junior olympian that means he's a competitor. He sounds like a great 49er. I know it's a long shot but I hope we get him.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

Jenkins will be 24 on July 11.

D-lineman mature slower and are relevant longer than the speed guys. After all, Justin Smith's best season were after 30.
He's a 3rd rounder in imo.

LOL.....you talk like this is something new. That's been evident for a long time, I still see the value of Williams as a space eater, he's not a penetrator or a guy who will come after the QB, but he's got tremendous strength and anyone blocking him 1 on 1 is going to have a hell of a hard time getting it done alone. He'll stuff the run up the middle and play with a high motor, to me that is a pretty fair deal for an NT.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
D-lineman mature slower and are relevant longer than the speed guys. After all, Justin Smith's best season were after 30.

Why do people keep saying this? He's been putting up pretty much the same stats with the 49ers as he did with the Bengals, he's just gotten far more attention in San Francisco. He was always a high motor, high-effort guy who frequently got to the quarterback, even if the stats didn't reflect that. He was always great against the run, if you're asking me whether I would take a 32 year old Justin Smith over a 24 year old Justin Smith, I say hell no.

All those guys are 22, 23,24 and hes a whapping 25. He hasn't had his joints tore up eiter for being 7 years older he has a better physique and a much longer shelf life than those guys. This guy rocked out 38 reps. I mean come on this guy isnt going to sharply decline at 30. He may lose a step but at 4.6 thats not going to hurt him. I mean we can say at 33 that smith is the mvp of the team.Hes at his peak at 33 and if it wasnt for the tricep tear i doubt he wouldve slowed down. I have no doubt he can rebound. Listen people to acknowledge this kid is rare talent. Hes a crossover athlete so he doesn't the game yet. But who better to learn the position from than the smith bros. He could be better than Justin. l

• DVDA
  • Veteran

Why do people keep saying this? He's been putting up pretty much the same stats with the 49ers as he did with the Bengals, he's just gotten far more attention in San Francisco. He was always a high motor, high-effort guy who frequently got to the quarterback, even if the stats didn't reflect that. He was always great against the run, if you're asking me whether I would take a 32 year old Justin Smith over a 24 year old Justin Smith, I say hell no.

Do you seriously not know the difference between the responsibilities of a 3-4 end and a 4-3 end? If you think Smith made as much of an impact then as he does now then I don't know what to say to you... words can't really express what a can.
Originally posted by DVDA:

Do you seriously not know the difference between the responsibilities of a 3-4 end and a 4-3 end? If you think Smith made as much of an impact then as he does now then I don't know what to say to you... words can't really express what a can.

you're not gonna get anywhere with Phoenix when it comes to debating on a player. he keeps bringing up inconsistencies and Hunt disappearing and looking lost, as if he's watched EVERY single game he's played. all the d-linemen that should be available at 31 has inconsistencies.

All the people here trashing the idea of selecting him is expecting a perfect player at #31
[ Edited by SF69ers on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM ]
LOL.....you talk like this is something new. That's been evident for a long time, I still see the value of Williams as a space eater, he's not a penetrator or a guy who will come after the QB, but he's got tremendous strength and anyone blocking him 1 on 1 is going to have a hell of a hard time getting it done alone. He'll stuff the run up the middle and play with a high motor, to me that is a pretty fair deal for an NT.

Its isnt anything new. I wasnt acting like it was. My point was every dlinr pospect needs to be coached up why is hunt the only one that isnt worth the 1st? Hes stronger, faster, and leaner but he just needs to be coached like every other prospect on the dline. Im not even saying he should be he 1st but if you rule him out of the 2nd - 3rd your blind.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
you're not gonna get anywhere with Phoenix when it comes to debating on a player. he keeps bringing up inconsistencies and Hunt disappearing and looking lost, as if he's watched EVERY single game he's played. all the d-linemen that should be available at 31 has inconsistencies.

All the people here trashing the idea of selecting him is expecting a perfect player at #31

Yea he picks apart prospects he doesnt like and praises the ones he like despite then having just as many inconsistencies. Its a very subjective way of analyzing a prospect. Hunt disappeared at times like every other prospect were looking at a 31 yet hes awful and the others are not. Hunt is physically better jn every way yet thats not improtant. Makes sense.
Originally posted by DVDA:

THIS. 6 sacks a season as a 3-4 DE is top 3-5 production. 6 sacks as a 4-3 DE might not be top 20. Same with tackle totals. 4-3 DEs generally set the edge against one OL, one TE, or a FB/HB on a kickout. 3-4 DEs routinely face OL double teams. They are entirely different positions and carry substantially different statistical weight.
Share 49ersWebzone