There are 153 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by strickac:
His age may be the only thing that allows him to fall to us. If he was 23, he'd be a top 15 pick.

I don't see it, he is really just a big guy.

There are plenty of big guys in the draft that can move better and use their hands much better than this guy. I would say a late 2nd - 3rd rounder at best, but someone may reach for him early.

I think you're selling him short, he's not just a big guy, he's a tremendous athlete. Ninernation did a great writeup on him =

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/3/2/4055922/2013-nfl-draft-margus-hunt-scouting-report-49ers

Dude is a beast.

A beast?

He was a man (25) playing against boys and as a 6'7 280lb DE that runs a 4.6 40, recorded 112 tackles and 16.5 sacks in four years!

He doesn't set the edge well in run support and he is easy to cut block. So he is not a premier pass rusher with all those measurables, and he struggles to stop the run. What exactly does he do very well?

Where is the beast you describe?

I agree that he does not have stats that jump off the page, if he did, he wouldn't be available when we pick. Looking at his career stat is vey misleading though since he started playing football just 4 years ago. He's raw and an unfinished product. He needs some coaching to unlock his BEASTLY potential for sure. Let me throw some numbers at you though, comparing two "RAW" athletes....

Player A
Final Season before the Draft
45 Tackles
16.5 For Loss
6.5 Sacks
1 INT
3 PD
2 FF

Player B
31 Tackles
11.5 For Loss
8 Sacks
1 INT
3 PD
2 FF

Player A Combine =

Weight: 270
40 Yrd Dash: 4.71
225 Lb. Bench Rep: 19
Vertical Jump: 30 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.67
3-Cone Drill: 7.18

Player B
Weight: 277
40 Yrd Dash: 4.62
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 38
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.51
3-Cone Drill: 7.07

RAW prospect A is JPP.....RAW prospect B is Hunt.

He is a physical freak that bested EVERY cat JPP registered at the combine. The fact that he is still learning the position means that he is just beginning to unlock his true potential.

To learn from one of the best in the business in Tomsula and behind Cowboy? I think you can see his potential no?
His age may be the only thing that allows him to fall to us. If he was 23, he'd be a top 15 pick.

There are plenty of big guys in the draft that can move better and use their hands much better than this guy. I would say a late 2nd - 3rd rounder at best, but someone may reach for him early.

I think you're selling him short, he's not just a big guy, he's a tremendous athlete. Ninernation did a great writeup on him =

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/3/2/4055922/2013-nfl-draft-margus-hunt-scouting-report-49ers

Dude is a beast.

A beast?

He was a man (25) playing against boys and as a 6'7 280lb DE that runs a 4.6 40, recorded 112 tackles and 16.5 sacks in four years!

He doesn't set the edge well in run support and he is easy to cut block. So he is not a premier pass rusher with all those measurables, and he struggles to stop the run. What exactly does he do very well?

I agree that he does not have stats that jump off the page, if he did, he wouldn't be available when we pick. Looking at his career stat is vey misleading though since he started playing football just 4 years ago. He's raw and an unfinished product. He needs some coaching to unlock his BEASTLY potential for sure. Let me throw some numbers at you though, comparing two "RAW" athletes....

Player A
45 Tackles
16.5 For Loss
6.5 Sacks
1 INT
3 PD
2 FF

Player B
31 Tackles
11.5 For Loss
8 Sacks
1 INT
3 PD
2 FF

Player A Combine =

Player B

He is a physical freak that bested EVERY cat JPP registered at the combine. The fact that he is still learning the position means that he is just beginning to unlock his true potential.

To learn from one of the best in the business in Tomsula and behind Cowboy? I think you can see his potential no?

^ Nice I like that

Dude is a beast.

A beast?

Player A
45 Tackles
16.5 For Loss
6.5 Sacks
1 INT
3 PD
2 FF

Player B
31 Tackles
11.5 For Loss
8 Sacks
1 INT
3 PD
2 FF

Player A Combine =

Player B

very good post.

All Hunt haters just keep bringing up his age or the fact that he didn't dominate despite having good size.

What they don't understand is that we're picking late in the round. We're also NOT looking to replace Smith or McDonald right now. This gives Hunt time to learn the position from one of the best coaches and one of the best players.

With some of the posters in here, they sound like they want a fire ready product ready to be a HOFer
One thing that Hunt has going for him, with respect to 49er needs, is that he is tall and our main competitors QB is short, very, very short. Russell Wilson measured 5ft 10 and 5/8 at the combine. Hunt definitely has limitations like lack of playing experience and age but has measurable's that are out of this world. Plus he plays at a position of need. Factor all this and then consider that the 49ers staff spends much of the offseason scheming and coming up with strategies to throw at the opposition. I think its clear that the strategy against Wilson and the Seahawks is to try and contain rather than pressure and flush Wilson. Put a 6ft 8in DE with massive wingspan in front of him to block his vision and tip his passes. Steve Young, who was a couple of inches taller than Wilson but still shorter than the average NFL QB said that he always had trouble seeing over tall D-lineman and that he would have to slide around in the pocket to find passing lanes. We have to counter Wilson and defend against him. Hunt, despite the Cons in his profile, makes some sense when you consider that we have to play Wilson two and maybe three times a year and the the Seahawks may represent the biggest roadblock to the 49ers going to another super bowl.
I don't know what to think of him. I'd be ok with taking him, because that would mean he has the Jim Tomsula stamp of approval.

Could be a guy you kick yourself for not drafting a few years down the road. Then again some of the faults pointed out are hard to ignore.

Player A
45 Tackles
16.5 For Loss
6.5 Sacks
1 INT
3 PD
2 FF

Player B
31 Tackles
11.5 For Loss
8 Sacks
1 INT
3 PD
2 FF

Player A Combine =

Player B

I can play this game too:

Player A
37 Tackles
15.5 Tackles for Loss
14 Sacks

Weight:266
40 Yrd Dash: 4.58
225 Lb. Bench Rep: 37
Vertical Jump: 41'
Broad Jump: 10'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.41
3-Cone Drill: 7.12
Year Born: 1986 (current age:26)

Player B:
31 Tackles
11.5 For Loss
8 Sacks

Player B
Year Born:1987 (current age:25)

Player A is.........Vernon Gholston
Player B is.........Margus Hunt
I'm kind of a homer when it comes to this Hunt but he's a Junior World Champion shot put and discuss. Being that good at anything takes an incredible amount of dedication. He has proven he has the ability to concentrate and commit himself. Do you seriously think if a given a role within the defense he couldn't learn it? It may take 2-3 year for him to become a complete player but I think he's capable.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I'm kind of a homer when it comes to this Hunt but he's a Junior World Champion shot put and discuss. Being that good at anything takes an incredible amount of dedication. He has proven he has the ability to concentrate and commit himself. Do you seriously think if a given a role within the defense he couldn't learn it? It may take 2-3 year for him to become a complete player but I think he's capable.

There's the problem though.. In 3 years he'll be 29..
Originally posted by Cooper22:
There's the problem though.. In 3 years he'll be 29..

I hear your point and I have no chips in the game either way, but wouldnt you want a DL to possibly be hitting his prime in the strength department when you give him his rookie contract? Playing in the 3/4, I think there could be a benefit there because he has some maturity and to play in the trenches takes some toughness and he could be hitting his stride in year one and two.

just sayin
Looks like Baalke will make the final argument and either draft him or not. Since we have all of the draft picks we can conceivably get any player we want in the first, second, or third rounds. So if Baalke thinks Hunt can be coached up to be a quality DE then he will get him and if not this is a nice theoretical discussion.

I have a strange feeling that Hunt is going to be our first round pick.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I can play this game too:

Player A
37 Tackles
15.5 Tackles for Loss
14 Sacks

Weight:266
40 Yrd Dash: 4.58
225 Lb. Bench Rep: 37
Vertical Jump: 41'
Broad Jump: 10'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.41
3-Cone Drill: 7.12
Year Born: 1986 (current age:26)

Player B:
31 Tackles
11.5 For Loss
8 Sacks

Player B
Year Born:1987 (current age:25)

Player A is.........Vernon Gholston
Player B is.........Margus Hunt

Yeah we can play that game all day. I could give you several more examples of players who did squat in college, only to dominate in the pros. On the flip side, used car dealerships are full of guys who dominated in college and were out of the league after their rookie deals. No way to know for sure either way. The point I was trying to make though is that there is potential with Hunt. I think the biggest difference between Gholston and Hunt is that Vernon was a #6 overall pick, where as Hunt is late 1st early 2nd. I think with the new rookie scale and the fact that he's going later, you can take chances on guys like that since they wont torpedo your cap. Hunt could be Gholston or JPP. The reality is that he could end up being a Kyle Vanden Bosch, another tall DE, who just happened to be drafted #34 overall and was 24 years old during rookie season, only 2 years older than Hunt. Looking at Kyle's career, he had 4 sacks total before the age of 27 =

24+25+26 = 4
27 = 12.5
28 =6
29 = 12
30 = 4.5
31 = 3
32 = 4
33 = 8
34 = 3.5

I would think that could be a possible career path of Hunt. Couple great years, couple solid years couple average years and done by 34. Would we not sign up for that at #34? 9 years of a guy like Vanden Bosch?

In the end the debate matters not. I come on here every March/April and campaign for my draft crushes...sometimes they work out...Crabbs, Iupati, Hunter, Bowman....sometimes they dont....AJ Hawk, Rey Maualuga, Ryan Mallett, Coby Fleener, Kevin Zeitler.

I've given up on doing or even reading mock drafts, they mean absolutely nothing. I pick a couple crushes and see what happens. The people making the calls on draft day know a hellova lot more then me.

GO 9ERS!
Yeah we can play that game all day. I could give you several more examples of players who did squat in college, only to dominate in the pros. On the flip side, used car dealerships are full of guys who dominated in college and were out of the league after their rookie deals. No way to know for sure either way. The point I was trying to make though is that there is potential with Hunt. I think the biggest difference between Gholston and Hunt is that Vernon was a #6 overall pick, where as Hunt is late 1st early 2nd. I think with the new rookie scale and the fact that he's going later, you can take chances on guys like that since they wont torpedo your cap. Hunt could be Gholston or JPP. The reality is that he could end up being a Kyle Vanden Bosch, another tall DE, who just happened to be drafted #34 overall and was 24 years old during rookie season, only 2 years older than Hunt. Looking at Kyle's career, he had 4 sacks total before the age of 27 =

24+25+26 = 4
27 = 12.5
28 =6
29 = 12
30 = 4.5
31 = 3
32 = 4
33 = 8
34 = 3.5

I would think that could be a possible career path of Hunt. Couple great years, couple solid years couple average years and done by 34. Would we not sign up for that at #34? 9 years of a guy like Vanden Bosch?

In the end the debate matters not. I come on here every March/April and campaign for my draft crushes...sometimes they work out...Crabbs, Iupati, Hunter, Bowman....sometimes they dont....AJ Hawk, Rey Maualuga, Ryan Mallett, Coby Fleener, Kevin Zeitler.

I've given up on doing or even reading mock drafts, they mean absolutely nothing. I pick a couple crushes and see what happens. The people making the calls on draft day know a hellova lot more then me.

GO 9ERS!
I think you make a lot of sense with your arguements but will probably never convince people. I like Hunt as well. I think he will be a good pass rusher no matter what. His liability for me is if he learns to play his others roles like the run, etc... If he goes to a good team like the Niners or Steelers I think he will have a better opportunity to boom. If he goes to the Jaguars or Chiefs I think he will still get his sacks (4 or 5) but not develop because of poor coaching and poor talent around him.

People just want a sure thing when it comes to mock drafts but we can look at previous 2nd round draft picks and see that talented college players, with years of experience don't always turn out to be studs (Taylor Mays, Chilo Rachal, David Baas, Justin Smiley, Anthony Adams), etc... Even Ray Mac came from Florida and the amazing SEC and he was a 3rd rounder. He does the job good enough but his numbers aren't great.

I say grab Hunt and another D-Line prospect whether it's J. Williams or D. Jones or Tank Carrdine and let them learn together and fight it out in training camp to see who cracks to roster first. This gives us more options and more depth in case of injuries and we would still have plenty of picks left to get a safety and TE, etc...
http://youtu.be/gmxLR3-JYf4
What is so tremendous about Hunt is that he doesn't play the game like a guy that is just a better athlete than other people...when I watch him play he plays with natural football talent, so he looks natural in two gapping or rushing the passer. He doesn't look like he strains in the movements that one has to make to play the game. I recall that dude from Ohio state that was a bust awhile back to looked so stiff and unathletic when he played that you knew he was likely a bust despite his raw athletic ability. There is such a thing as athletic talent-which allows you to be a talented football player-and raw athletic talent like someone who can only run a fast 40 time.

Hunt looks very natural playing the game, and he is only gaining playing experience. In time you will see him massively improve as he starts to recognize things faster...which only comes by playing the game. What is so impressive is how good he is while playing so little. He understands dipping around corners and is able to do it. A lot of players (including Aldon Smith and Brooks) that simply cannot do this.

I will go on record saying he may be the best player taken in this draft looking back 3 years from now...and you can usually say that about a few people going into a draft. It would not surprise me to see him come off the board in the top 20.
Share 49ersWebzone