LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

Originally posted by Cooper22:
Originally posted by eonblue:
I'm kind of a homer when it comes to this Hunt but he's a Junior World Champion shot put and discuss. Being that good at anything takes an incredible amount of dedication. He has proven he has the ability to concentrate and commit himself. Do you seriously think if a given a role within the defense he couldn't learn it? It may take 2-3 year for him to become a complete player but I think he's capable.

There's the problem though.. In 3 years he'll be 29..

You sign a free agent expecting him to play through his contract, and you can't worry about the next contract. Same with draft picks. You expect them to play through their rookie contract; you can't worry about their next contract because they belong to the highest bidder at that point.
Hunt will be young throughout his rookie contract.
heard he had a pretty good pro day. Rex Ryan ran his workout drills.

One thing to consider, is that not all ages are created the same. His body doesn't have the same tread as a 26 year old NFL vet who's been in the league 5 years. Yes, being older is definitely a negative, but I would be optimistic that his body/skills will hold up for a good 6-8 years
I actually like Hunt and I wouldn't be disappointed if we draft him. I agree, he does look very smooth and his speed translates well when chasing down the quarterback. Also, think of the key plays that have been turned in by Ahmad Brooks by batting the ball down. I expect Hunt to be able to do the same.

Added bonuses are that the kid has a relentless motor, he's flat out "country" strong, he seems like a smart kid who can pick up the play book quickly and we can use him to block field goals. I also see some versitility in that he'd be able to blend in with either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Mar 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM ]
im agin any prospects whose name i cant pronounce
how do you say it, does it rhyme with...punt
As long as we took him after 34, and not on or before... This guy would be a great addition.
the 1 problem i have with Hunt is that he has played LE his whole career, and if he is going to be Cowboy's replacement he will need to switch to RE.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by eonblue:
I'm kind of a homer when it comes to this Hunt but he's a Junior World Champion shot put and discuss. Being that good at anything takes an incredible amount of dedication. He has proven he has the ability to concentrate and commit himself. Do you seriously think if a given a role within the defense he couldn't learn it? It may take 2-3 year for him to become a complete player but I think he's capable.

You sign a free agent expecting him to play through his contract, and you can't worry about the next contract. Same with draft picks. You expect them to play through their rookie contract; you can't worry about their next contract because they belong to the highest bidder at that point.
Hunt will be young throughout his rookie contract.

If Hunt was already a very experienced football player with refined technique and good understanding of defensive scheme, then I'd agree with you. Problem is, he doesn't. He's a developmental player in the body of a 26 year old. That means he likely won't be reaching his full potential till the end of his rookie deal, at which point, he'd be getting old.

Bad value pick. I think people will be surprised with how far Hunt falls. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he lasts till late in the 3rd round.
Originally posted by bigwads:
What is so tremendous about Hunt is that he doesn't play the game like a guy that is just a better athlete than other people...when I watch him play he plays with natural football talent, so he looks natural in two gapping or rushing the passer. He doesn't look like he strains in the movements that one has to make to play the game. I recall that dude from Ohio state that was a bust awhile back to looked so stiff and unathletic when he played that you knew he was likely a bust despite his raw athletic ability. There is such a thing as athletic talent-which allows you to be a talented football player-and raw athletic talent like someone who can only run a fast 40 time.

Hunt looks very natural playing the game, and he is only gaining playing experience. In time you will see him massively improve as he starts to recognize things faster...which only comes by playing the game. What is so impressive is how good he is while playing so little. He understands dipping around corners and is able to do it. A lot of players (including Aldon Smith and Brooks) that simply cannot do this.

I will go on record saying he may be the best player taken in this draft looking back 3 years from now...and you can usually say that about a few people going into a draft. It would not surprise me to see him come off the board in the top 20.

TOP 20!

LMAO, I sure hope so! This would mean that there would be a real top 31 guy that will be there when we make our first pick.
[ Edited by glorydayz on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM ]
Originally posted by glorydayz:
What is so tremendous about Hunt is that he doesn't play the game like a guy that is just a better athlete than other people...when I watch him play he plays with natural football talent, so he looks natural in two gapping or rushing the passer. He doesn't look like he strains in the movements that one has to make to play the game. I recall that dude from Ohio state that was a bust awhile back to looked so stiff and unathletic when he played that you knew he was likely a bust despite his raw athletic ability. There is such a thing as athletic talent-which allows you to be a talented football player-and raw athletic talent like someone who can only run a fast 40 time.

Hunt looks very natural playing the game, and he is only gaining playing experience. In time you will see him massively improve as he starts to recognize things faster...which only comes by playing the game. What is so impressive is how good he is while playing so little. He understands dipping around corners and is able to do it. A lot of players (including Aldon Smith and Brooks) that simply cannot do this.

I will go on record saying he may be the best player taken in this draft looking back 3 years from now...and you can usually say that about a few people going into a draft. It would not surprise me to see him come off the board in the top 20.

TOP 20!

LMAO, I sure hope so! This would mean that there would be a real top 31 guy that will be there when we make our first pick.

i dont knkow, a ranking doesnt mean anything if the player doesnt play up to it...

as far as Hunt, I dont really see much difference beyween hom and BYU's Eziekiel Ansah---both are overaged, foreign born end prospects with unique physical gifts..both are long, run well, and if anything hunt had more experience and production at smu than ansah at byu--either could turn into a star or be a bust..both seem likely to be drafted in large part on what a team will see as their potential

• mayo49
  • Veteran
By the time Margus develops he'll be 30. I say pass.
Originally posted by hofer36:

TOP 20!

i dont knkow, a ranking doesnt mean anything if the player doesnt play up to it...

as far as Hunt, I dont really see much difference beyween hom and BYU's Eziekiel Ansah---both are overaged, foreign born end prospects with unique physical gifts..both are long, run well, and if anything hunt had more experience and production at smu than ansah at byu--either could turn into a star or be a bust..both seem likely to be drafted in large part on what a team will see as their potential

NFL RB's will be able to cut block Hunt.

He is in no way as gifted as Ansah, look at the tape Ansah is unblockable at times.
Originally posted by mayo49:

If he developes at all!
no ifs, ands, or buts; I want this guy.
Originally posted by mayo49:

If he developes at all!

How pissed would you guys be if we took him @31?
Share 49ersWebzone