LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Margus Hunt-DE-SMU

Man Crush!!!

However, I don't see him lasting until the 31st pick.
  • buck
  • Veteran
3-4 Defensive End

1. Star Lotulelei, Utah
2. Margus Hunt, SMU
3. Datone Jones, UCLA
4. Jesse Williams, Alabama
5. William Gholston, Michigan State

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000146289/article/mike-mayock-alters-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft

This looks like good news to me. I would bet at least one of the top four is there when pick at #31, and maybe even #34.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
3-4 Defensive End

1. Star Lotulelei, Utah
2. Margus Hunt, SMU
3. Datone Jones, UCLA
4. Jesse Williams, Alabama
5. William Gholston, Michigan State

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000146289/article/mike-mayock-alters-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft

This looks like good news to me. I would bet at least one of the top four is there when pick at #31, and maybe even #34.

Most likely. I think 11 of the defensive line guys he has listed are first round worthy, but all won't be taken in the first. Typically Mayock isn't that far off with his projections so this does bode well for us.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Man Crush!!!

However, I don't see him lasting until the 31st pick.

I think we have a pretty good chance that either he or Jones will be there @ 31.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I personally don't think he'll have to bulk up that much, since he's about the same weight as Justin and is probably as strong. I also don't think he (or any other young DE) would have to start next year or even the year after, as Justin and Ray probably still have a few more good years left in them. I see him as a solid rotational guy in the next few years, then taking over at age 28. That's just about peak age for a 3-4 d-lineman (and about the age when we signed Justin), and he could easily give us another 4-6 good years after that.

I see him as less of a risk than some of the younger guys actually, since he's more mature. Any player can be a bust, so yes, that's a possibility. Just not sure specifically why you see him with more bust potential than others.

I dont see him as anymore of a bust than the next. Actually I thinks hes a solid pick. My point is like you said 28 and he might be able to start. Watt and von miler are 24. Im sorrybut I want value out of first round pick. Essentially what im saying is he loses value because we lose those 4 years of starter playing time. And he has to be a starter at 28 or hes a bust. Don't get me wrong I love this guy. He defines beast and I would love to see us draft.just not in the first two rounds.

NFL's Bucky Brooks has a post combine mock in which the 49ers take Hunt at #31:
With a plethora of draft picks, San Francisco can take a chance on an intriguing athlete like Hunt at this point. The former junior world-champion thrower in discus and shot put has the size, strength and athleticism to develop into a dominant five-technique in the 49ers' system.
i hope he falls to us but i dont think he will make it. Some team will take a chance on him especially after his strong combine.
What's the deal with Hunt's draft status fluctuating on a lot of different draft boards? One site had him all the way down to the 3rd round. I know he is a risk being 26 and still somewhat of a project, but is he really going to fall to the third round? What's a realistic spot to draft him at?
I realize he's 3 or 4 years older than most players, but I he's still my vote for either the #31 or #34 spot. I think he can legitimately help our D-line and has unique skills, especially with his size and strength.

There is an advantage to his age. He's much less likely to have legal issues and/or suspensions. I know I was a much different person between 22 and 26.
Would LOVE this pick! Everyone knocks his age, but I see it as an advantage since his body will be ready right away to compete. How many years do you REALLY expect out of a solid DE? 7 years? He will be Justin's age by then. How many 21-23 year old Dlinemen do we see getting their arshes kicked in the trenches and lose confidence because they are not physically ready to compete. You do not hit your physical peak until your late 20's early 30's anyway. I think if we come away with Hunt and a Safety with the 1st two picks, we will be well on our way to having a solid draft. The FO needs to step up and nail this draft like 2011. The pressure is on Trent, let's see if you and your team can step up to the plate and drive some pitches!
I agree, age isn't a huge issue for me. The window is now, so in 7 years when he's 33, who knows what state the franchise is going to be in.

Originally posted by strickac:
His age may be the only thing that allows him to fall to us. If he was 23, he'd be a top 15 pick.

I don't see it, he is really just a big guy.

There are plenty of big guys in the draft that can move better and use their hands much better than this guy. I would say a late 2nd - 3rd rounder at best, but someone may reach for him early.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
His age may be the only thing that allows him to fall to us. If he was 23, he'd be a top 15 pick.

There are plenty of big guys in the draft that can move better and use their hands much better than this guy. I would say a late 2nd - 3rd rounder at best, but someone may reach for him early.

I think you're selling him short, he's not just a big guy, he's a tremendous athlete. Ninernation did a great writeup on him =

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/3/2/4055922/2013-nfl-draft-margus-hunt-scouting-report-49ers

Dude is a beast.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

I think you're selling him short, he's not just a big guy, he's a tremendous athlete. Ninernation did a great writeup on him =

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/3/2/4055922/2013-nfl-draft-margus-hunt-scouting-report-49ers

Dude is a beast.

A beast?

He was a man (25) playing against boys and as a 6'7 280lb DE that runs a 4.6 40, recorded 112 tackles and 16.5 sacks in four years!

He doesn't set the edge well in run support and he is easy to cut block. So he is not a premier pass rusher with all those measurables, and he struggles to stop the run. What exactly does he do very well?

Where is the beast you describe?
I don't think the 49ers will draft him early, age is important to them, as was the case when they drafted Anthony Davis and Aldon Smith. They touted their young age at the time as reasons for why they thought those guys would develop and be worthy of high 1st round picks. On the other hand, Hunt has only played football for 4 years, and you know that they love that rawness. But with his age, I think it's likely other teams value Hunt higher than the 49ers.
I really don't want this guy.. He's really raw, going to take at the very least a year to develop, and is going to be 28 by that time...
Share 49ersWebzone