There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AB's Mock Offseason V1.0

DVDA, I don't think any penalties. 2013 would be Akers contract year and he has a cap number over 3.6 million dollars. I don't see us bringing him back at that number. A free agent kicker or a drafted kicker making less then 500,000. I look for Alex Smith,Haralson and Akers all to be cut and save over 16 million dollars on the salary cap.
Who the hell can replace Akers?
[ Edited by Ajanke on Nov 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM ]
Id keep Alex Smith. I'd rather have him as a back up QB. He's so humble that I think he would restructure his contract. BUt if Kap is gona start, id prefer to have a backup who knows the offense and has starter capability. Look at Philly, Chicago, and Pittsburg. Their back-up Qbs level of play is far below their starters' level of play, having two Qbs that could win could be good for us, especially with Kap being a runner, he could get hit and we could be screwed because we dont give Tolzein reps.It'd be pretty shady to get rid of a guy like Alex Smith. He's one of the classiest guys in the league and is Mr."take one for the team" if you ask me. Eventually teams will figure out Kap, just like they figured out Newton and Vick. Another thing is ball security, Smith is alot smarter with the ball. We wins games. Even though the 57 yrd bombs are great, it only takes 10yds to get a first down
Lets Akers walk he is not the same kicker as last year. Time to get younger at that position tired of seeing wash up old guys in that position he's been missing to many field goals this year....
I had version 2 almost done, till Bowman extension, so back to the drawing board.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,336
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I had version 2 almost done, till Bowman extension, so back to the drawing board.

How long before you get the numbers on Bowman's deal?
  • Karma
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 756
I really like what you have done! I have a few things I would change, but I have no idea how these changes would fit in the salary cap:

1. Cut Akers - We use one of our mid round draft choices to replace him (whoever the best guy in college is right now). Bring in some vets for camp competition. It seems like that would be the cheapest way to deal with this problem.

2. Why bring back Moss? He has been a good teammate and mentor for the other guys, but Crabtree is proving himself, Manningham has gotten better every week, Williams will be back from injury, and Jenkins is going to get his shot soon to prove he belongs. This seems like an ideal time to draft a young guy with return abilities to take over for Ginn.

3. Resign Leonard Davis? Not that big a of a deal, but if they drafted a kid who could play swing tackle it would take pressure off Boone. Also, Davis hasn't really impressed me in the jumbo sets. We also have to consider how tough it will be to resign Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati and Alex Boone in a year. Having younger guys stocked up might be a better use of the roster spot.
Jackson Jeffcoat will return to UT for his senior season, according to the Austin paper today, just fyi.
Originally posted by Karma:
I really like what you have done! I have a few things I would change, but I have no idea how these changes would fit in the salary cap:

1. Cut Akers - We use one of our mid round draft choices to replace him (whoever the best guy in college is right now). Bring in some vets for camp competition. It seems like that would be the cheapest way to deal with this problem.

2. Why bring back Moss? He has been a good teammate and mentor for the other guys, but Crabtree is proving himself, Manningham has gotten better every week, Williams will be back from injury, and Jenkins is going to get his shot soon to prove he belongs. This seems like an ideal time to draft a young guy with return abilities to take over for Ginn.

3. Resign Leonard Davis? Not that big a of a deal, but if they drafted a kid who could play swing tackle it would take pressure off Boone. Also, Davis hasn't really impressed me in the jumbo sets. We also have to consider how tough it will be to resign Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati and Alex Boone in a year. Having younger guys stocked up might be a better use of the roster spot.

I agree with this..I really like what AB has for a start, but I would not bring back Moss, Davis or Akers, and replace them all through the draft. I know they have supplied some leadership...but their contributions on the field are not that hard to replace. I am very High on drafting a proper NT in the first round if the right guy is there, and am also curious about what kind of talent is out there at Center if there is nobody we like at NT. Now that Bowman is sown up, without cutting Harralson or Alex, I am confident...should Kaep work out mind you..that money from their contracts can take care of Goldson, but there might be even more cap space to clear if we could find a day one starter to anchor the middle of either line...
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by Karma:
I really like what you have done! I have a few things I would change, but I have no idea how these changes would fit in the salary cap:

1. Cut Akers - We use one of our mid round draft choices to replace him (whoever the best guy in college is right now). Bring in some vets for camp competition. It seems like that would be the cheapest way to deal with this problem.

2. Why bring back Moss? He has been a good teammate and mentor for the other guys, but Crabtree is proving himself, Manningham has gotten better every week, Williams will be back from injury, and Jenkins is going to get his shot soon to prove he belongs. This seems like an ideal time to draft a young guy with return abilities to take over for Ginn.

3. Resign Leonard Davis? Not that big a of a deal, but if they drafted a kid who could play swing tackle it would take pressure off Boone. Also, Davis hasn't really impressed me in the jumbo sets. We also have to consider how tough it will be to resign Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati and Alex Boone in a year. Having younger guys stocked up might be a better use of the roster spot.

I agree with this..I really like what AB has for a start, but I would not bring back Moss, Davis or Akers, and replace them all through the draft. I know they have supplied some leadership...but their contributions on the field are not that hard to replace. I am very High on drafting a proper NT in the first round if the right guy is there, and am also curious about what kind of talent is out there at Center if there is nobody we like at NT. Now that Bowman is sown up, without cutting Harralson or Alex, I am confident...should Kaep work out mind you..that money from their contracts can take care of Goldson, but there might be even more cap space to clear if we could find a day one starter to anchor the middle of either line...

I agree now. My new offseason plan will have Moss on a 1yr deal for vet leadership, I think he can be useful to the team. Plus Ginn is likely gone so that opens a spot.
AB,with Bowman deal now signed. Will you be puting out a new offseason or updating the first page with the Bowman deal included?
Originally posted by Momotaros:
AB,with Bowman deal now signed. Will you be puting out a new offseason or updating the first page with the Bowman deal included?

working on one. Will be in a new thread.
AB=Beast
Originally posted by DVDA:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I had version 2 almost done, till Bowman extension, so back to the drawing board.

How long before you get the numbers on Bowman's deal?

I have a good feeling for his deal. It is very very similar to Ahmad Brooks' deal. Same signing bonus($7.5M), same roster bonus per game day actives tied in($750K from 2014-2018), but difference is a $4M option bonus prorated over 5 seasons in 2013.

I am unsure of the proration of the signing bonus, not sure if it starts 2012, 2013 or 2014.

Rough numbers here.

http://www.ninercaphell.com/player/5-Bowman-NaVorro.html