There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Defensive Line Prospects (DE, DT, and NT)

Richardson or Floyd at 31 and if both are gone then Jenkins/ or CB Xhaiver Rhodes
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Richardson or Floyd at 31 and if both are gone then Jenkins/ or CB Xhaiver Rhodes

Richardson will certainly be gone unless he completely spazzes out during the combine. Floyd might be there, though. Rhodes makes me a little nervous considering how big he is at corner. Bigger corners tend to have a harder time to turn and run because of stiff hips. We need one that covers real well. Trufant might be there in the 1st or we wait to get Poyer in the 2nd.
Either guy would be good...but to Brock's point, Williams played in the SEC, Hankins in the Big 10. There is a disparity of competition between the two conf's. Again, though either guy would be welcome additions to our DL. That said, it's also extremely important to bring in a veteran...when Justin Smith got hurt, the lack of high-level experience cost the entire defense. I didn't see RayMac step up, nor Sopoaga. That could be resolved by signing Randy Starks, a vet who can play inside or out and offers experience and leadership qualities. Look at the NY Giants or Seattle's DL...they're stacked with big, good DL. We have to get away from our starters playing so many snaps...and for a solid rotation you need more good big bodies in our 3-4.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
If we get the 34th pick for Alex:

31: Sharif Floyd 3-4 DE Florida
34: Jon Jenkins NT Georgia

RE: Justin Smith Floyd Tufuafu

NT: SOAP Jenkins

LE: RayMac RickyJ


That Jenkins kid is this year's alan branch...a huge sumo wrestler with no athletic ability. He is a third rounder.
Originally posted by bigwads:
That Jenkins kid is this year's alan branch...a huge sumo wrestler with no athletic ability. He is a third rounder.

I actually disagree completely.. He's huge, but he's actually really quick and can get in the backfield in a hurry
Originally posted by Cooper22:
I actually disagree completely.. He's huge, but he's actually really quick and can get in the backfield in a hurry

This, he's surprisingly quick, played on the outside as a 5 technique as well. Ultimately I'm starting to lean a little more towards Jesse Williams as I have concerns about Jenkin's conditioning and his tendency to simply lean on blockers when he gets worn down, but either guy would represent improvement for this team.
Dude is huge...but size isn't everything. I'd opt for guys who can play anywhere along the DL...so I'd lean toward Jonathan Hankins and/or Jesse Williams. Of the two, Hankins is arguably the better pass rusher. I'd like to see Baalke draft two of the top DL, but also bring in a vet. When Justin Smith got hurt, none of our vets really stepped up their games to pick up the slack. Enter Randy Starks, a proven DL who can play inside and out. Chances are we'll lose Sopoaga (or should I say let him walk) so you need to replace a vet with a vet, IMHO.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,700
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Dude is huge...but size isn't everything. I'd opt for guys who can play anywhere along the DL...so I'd lean toward Jonathan Hankins and/or Jesse Williams. Of the two, Hankins is arguably the better pass rusher. I'd like to see Baalke draft two of the top DL, but also bring in a vet. When Justin Smith got hurt, none of our vets really stepped up their games to pick up the slack. Enter Randy Starks, a proven DL who can play inside and out. Chances are we'll lose Sopoaga (or should I say let him walk) so you need to replace a vet with a vet, IMHO.

I like Hankins too, reminds me of Casey Hampton, for a big man Hankins has a good motor.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000139106/article/star-lotulelei-sharrif-floyd-head-loaded-defensive-tackle-class
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,700
I doubt Hankins will be in our range so I will still stick with my first choice in Kawann Short.
Brandon Williams is a fast riser, is he this year's "surprise" pick at 31 or can the Niners find a way to get him in the 2nd if they want?

If he has dominating film and interviews well, I could see Baalke being interested in a guy like him despite the small school.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Cooper22:
I actually disagree completely.. He's huge, but he's actually really quick and can get in the backfield in a hurry

This, he's surprisingly quick, played on the outside as a 5 technique as well. Ultimately I'm starting to lean a little more towards Jesse Williams as I have concerns about Jenkin's conditioning and his tendency to simply lean on blockers when he gets worn down, but either guy would represent improvement for this team.


John Jenkins is a got damn beast...and I am on the Sheldon Richardson bandwagon. I am realizing that we won't have a shot at Richardson...Jenkins would be a MORE THAN adequate consolation prize. A 350 pounder that can move and play 3 different positions??? Sign me up at 31.
Originally posted by bigwads:
That Jenkins kid is this year's alan branch...a huge sumo wrestler with no athletic ability. He is a third rounder.


I don't know how much Georgia football you watched...but Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree aren't who they are without Jenkins occupying 2-3 blockers a play...and when they try to single him up he wreaks havoc in everyone's backfield. His conditioning is the only question I have about him.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Would love to have a Boiler on the team. Kawann Short please. Plus he's a beast.





Personally, I still like Kawann Short.