LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

2013 Defensive Line Prospects (DE, DT, and NT)

Who are the top centers in this years draft?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Who are the top centers in this years draft?

irrelevant to this thread But Barrett Jones and then I dont have any idea.
Will Sutton from Arizona State anybody? Wow i can't believe nobody is talking about this guy or taking this guy serious. I know he lacks the size of NFL DEs but this guy is a BEAST! At 6'2" (270 lbs) he plays a lot bigger than that. He doesn't have the fancy stats because he demands double teams and free up LBs to make plays, penetrates through the line scrimmage and rushes the passer really good. I think hes a sleeper that we can get on the 2nd or 3rd round. Im not saying that he'll come in and start rite away but hes got talent and I think he'll be an upgrade over our current backups IMHO. Watched his highlights on youtube and Im very impressed with his skills and motor. Also he played against tough opponents in the Pac 12 and dominates....
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Will Sutton from Arizona State anybody? Wow i can't believe nobody is talking about this guy or taking this guy serious. I know he lacks the size of NFL DEs but this guy is a BEAST! At 6'2" (270 lbs) he plays a lot bigger than that. He doesn't have the fancy stats because he demands double teams and free up LBs to make plays, penetrates through the line scrimmage and rushes the passer really good. I think hes a sleeper that we can get on the 2nd or 3rd round. Im not saying that he'll come in and start rite away but hes got talent and I think he'll be an upgrade over our current backups IMHO. Watched his highlights on youtube and Im very impressed with his skills and motor. Also he played against tough opponents in the Pac 12 and dominates....

Me and SDN have but he is a tweener, he's almost more suited as an OLB because he is supposedly just shy of 270 and 6'2" but he sure looks bigger then his listed weight and I think he is in the 270s. As an OLB the best NFL comparison is Melvin Ingram, another tweener with a ton of athleticism but a body that didn't fit a DE, DT or OLB position and SD has made it work him as a jack of all trades player

My opinion is he'll end up being a 43 DE and very damn good one but I just dont see him playing 34 DT because I dont want a guy who if his listed weight of 270 is right looks fat. Packing on the 15+ pounds to be equal in weight to to most 34 DTs would need to be muscle if he has any hope of being an every down player.

I'd love for us to take him and groom him behind Justin but I am worried about his physical conditioning.

Besides that, he hasn't declared yet anyway.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think we'd have to move up quite a bit to get a real impact player at DLfor the future. However, I think the Niners have some long range problems at CB and OL (center/right guard) and the team could be a beneficiary of a huge run on DL in the first round.

I know it sounds silly with such a talented team, but we are going to need to reload at starting positions across the board over the next few years (DL, OL, CB, WR, S, RB) not to mention adding reserve/depth at RB, TE, ILB, and OLB.

Edited note: One very intriguing player not mentioned by me, that will probably be there late in the first round is Clemson jumbo-sized DE Malliciah Goodman. At a listed 6'4", 280 pounds, he has a long frame and long arms. I tend to be skeptical about players stacking on 15 pounds to shift positions, but this guy may be an exception. I like his upside a lot, either as a big 43 DE or as a quick, penetrating 34 DE. Really good bend, ability to drive through the point of impact, good short area quickness.
Tell us something new
A few other guys to consider:

David King, DE/DT, Oklahoma (6'4", 281) - Yoked up, hard-working guy who's played inside and out; a poor man's Datone Jones
Nick Williams, DT, Richmond (6'4, 305) - Hard-nosed run-stuffing defender who needs to work on his pass rush
Mike Catapano, DE, Princeton (6'3", 270) - Needs to add weight, but has Bryant Young/Howie Long/Justin Smith-type of toughness
Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina (6'7", 275) - A lot of talent, but doesn't always play up to his potential; needs to add weight
After watching the Superbowl, I am more convinced than ever that this team needs a proper NT.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
After watching the Superbowl, I am more convinced than ever that this team needs a proper NT.

We need another pass rusher also. We got no one other then Smith that gets any preasure and we he's off we screwed.

The NFL turns over players Quickly, so th team needs to reload. There are numerous holes to fill on this squad for 2013 and beyond:
Backup QB
Starting caliber RB
Starting caliber WR
Center
Defensive End
Nose tackle if Soap leaves
Secondary help, a lot
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The NFL turns over players Quickly, so th team needs to reload. There are numerous holes to fill on this squad for 2013 and beyond:
Backup QB
Starting caliber RB
Starting caliber WR
Center
Defensive End
Nose tackle if Soap leaves
Secondary help, a lot

Soap is crap, they need an NT whether he returns or comes back, someone who can be more effective. They get by because they have the 2 best ILB's in football on the same defense, but seeing Soap get overwhelmed at the point of attack by a single lone blocker is something I'm absolutely f**king tired of seeing time in and time again.

They do need a DE, a CB, a true FS, more help at WR, hopefully a potential feature back to eventually replace Gore......
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Soap is crap, they need an NT whether he returns or comes back, someone who can be more effective. They get by because they have the 2 best ILB's in football on the same defense, but seeing Soap get overwhelmed at the point of attack by a single lone blocker is something I'm absolutely f**king tired of seeing time in and time again.

They do need a DE, a CB, a true FS, more help at WR, hopefully a potential feature back to eventually replace Gore......

I was already on board for a NT, DE, TE, and WR in with our picks in the first 3 rounds. But after last night's game and thinking of the direction the league is going in, FS may be higher up than I initially thought. Some have suggested moving Goldson to strong safety and it doesn't seem like a bad idea considering how much of a passing league this is. I would like to see Goldson go for the tackle a little more often as opposed to the big hit, but that may come if he is playing closer to the line of scrimmage anyway. For those who have already suggested moving Goldson to SS, how do you think he will fare covering running backs and TEs at times as opposed to helping out with covering receivers? I am curious to see what our DBs from this year would look like with a pass rush like we had last season.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I was already on board for a NT, DE, TE, and WR in with our picks in the first 3 rounds. But after last night's game and thinking of the direction the league is going in, FS may be higher up than I initially thought. Some have suggested moving Goldson to strong safety and it doesn't seem like a bad idea considering how much of a passing league this is. I would like to see Goldson go for the tackle a little more often as opposed to the big hit, but that may come if he is playing closer to the line of scrimmage anyway. For those who have already suggested moving Goldson to SS, how do you think he will fare covering running backs and TEs at times as opposed to helping out with covering receivers? I am curious to see what our DBs from this year would look like with a pass rush like we had last season.

That is why I've been pushing for Rambo and some other players in the draft. Goldson certainly has enough size to play SS.
If we get the 34th pick for Alex:

31: Sharif Floyd 3-4 DE Florida
34: Jon Jenkins NT Georgia

RE: Justin Smith Floyd Tufuafu

NT: SOAP Jenkins

LE: RayMac RickyJ

Share 49ersWebzone