LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 193 users in the forums

2013 Defensive Line Prospects (DE, DT, and NT)

Do you guys care if we draft DL in the 1st round or not?
Originally posted by PTulini:

Not really, I think the only 'Impact Player' at #31 would be a WR/PR/KR player. I'm just a little jaded with the Balmer fiasco.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Not really, I think the only 'Impact Player' at #31 would be a WR/PR/KR player. I'm just a little jaded with the Balmer fiasco.

I do. I think it's our biggest need (with a lot of offseason to go, of course). I really really want us to grab a DL in the 1st.
You think Kentwan Balmer is done in the NFL? We should give him a tryout. Maybe the coaching staff now can do something with him....... He's prolly a lost hope tho.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
You think Kentwan Balmer is done in the NFL? We should give him a tryout. Maybe the coaching staff now can do something with him....... He's prolly a lost hope tho.

Nope, move on. If Tomsula can't get him going I'd say he's a lost cause.

LOL.....why bother trying then at all? AJ Jenkins was supposed to be that "impact" player last year, didn't work out too well.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

LOL.....why bother trying then at all? AJ Jenkins was supposed to be that "impact" player last year, didn't work out too well.

From what I've heard, AJ Jenkins' biggest problem is his immaturity. I'm not ready to use the "B" word on him yet.
From what I've heard, AJ Jenkins' biggest problem is his immaturity. I'm not ready to use the "B" word on him yet.

Oh me neither, I'm just saying that nothing is guaranteed....Ted Ginn was a surefire playmaker at WR....that didn't pan out, decent special teams player, but worth a Top 15 pick? Hell no. I'm most comfortable with this team going after DL help and if there's nobody worth picking on the board, going with best available player.

We drafted a speedy receiver last year. And technically, Aldon Smith was a DE that played a little DT when he was drafted.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

We drafted a speedy receiver last year. And technically, Aldon Smith was a DE that played a little DT when he was drafted.

Both of which are true, I wonder if AJ can return kicks?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I was answering his question, would I care if we drafted DL in the first. And honestly no, i wouldn't. Now is it a smart idea long term, maybe. But so is CB, S, and WR. Essentially we'll be picking the best player we can. But I would be surprised if any pick we had would be a legit contributor next year, unless it was a returner, as I mentioned before.

Potential DL prospect for the 49ers in the 2013 NFL Draft?

Quinton Dial - DL - Alabama

Another potential DL out of Alabama

Damion Square - DL - Alabama

Yes, I want them to get a big, strong nasty defensive lineman with their first pick, then another one with their second pick. Then, maybe a fast safety to compete with Whitner assuming they keep Goldon by any means necessary. This draft is deep with defensive line and safety talent.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Yes, I want them to get a big, strong nasty defensive lineman with their first pick, then another one with their second pick. Then, maybe a fast safety to compete with Whitner assuming they keep Goldon by any means necessary. This draft is deep with defensive line and safety talent.

Call me crazy, but I doubt we'll draft 2 D-Linemen with back to back picks.
Here is the reality, the Niners do not have a starting NT signed on their roster right now, unless they want to roll with Ian Williams. In addition, Smith and McDonald are great, but they both have serious mileage on their bodies. It is possible that the Niners can shore up their depth in FA, but they also need to start positioning themselves for the future (see Steelers and Casey Hampton).

The one factor that should impact that decision is BPA. If there just is not value at 31, and they see a CB or WR who is a clearly ranked higher on their big board, the #1 pick should always be based on overall value. But I think they will have some good options at DL.
Share 49ersWebzone