There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

VaTech, UNC, CAL, USC, OKLAHOMA headline most games scouted for 9ers

Thanks for relaying this info!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Bump - We must have given our scouts the week off for Thanksgiving or Chris Steuber is slacking on his reporting as we reportedly only sent scouts to 1 game.

Utah @ Colorado

Notable prospects include

Utah
DT Star Lotulelei - Unlikely as he is projected to go anywhere from #1 to #5 overall but maybe we go all Julio Jones if he falls out of the top 3???
CB Ryan Lacy - Espn ranks him as the 17th best corner of the draft and I've always been a fan of his overall game
34 DE Joe Kruger - Has a bit of a hot head and some terribly inopportune offsides/neutral zone infractions but he has one hell of a motor
DT/DE Dave Kruger - More even keeled then his brother but just as much of a motor. Their brother Paul Kruger plays for the Ravens.
RB John White - Incredibly undersized at 5-7 190 but I could see him as a ST ace in the NFL and he is a tough runner
WR/KR Reggie Dunn Ted Ginn body type of 5-9 170(ginn is 5-11 180) just scored his 5th KR 100+ yard KR TD and has tons of other long run backs and modestly contributes on offense.

Colorado - I dont know anything about Colorado but according to ESPN they only have 5 prospects all borderline UDFA
ILB - Doug Rippy
TE - Nick Kasa - From the few games I've caught Kasa looks comparable to Garrett Celek.
S - Ray Polk
OT - Ryan Dannewitz
DT - Williams Pericak


I'm very surprised that we didn't send anyone to the USC / Notre Dame game. But like I say on the front page we must've given most of our scouts the weekend off.
Originally posted by sfout:
Bump - We must have given our scouts the week off for Thanksgiving or Chris Steuber is slacking on his reporting as we reportedly only sent scouts to 1 game.

Utah @ Colorado

Notable prospects include

Utah
DT Star Lotulelei - Unlikely as he is projected to go anywhere from #1 to #5 overall but maybe we go all Julio Jones if he falls out of the top 3???
CB Ryan Lacy - Espn ranks him as the 17th best corner of the draft and I've always been a fan of his overall game
34 DE Joe Kruger - Has a bit of a hot head and some terribly inopportune offsides/neutral zone infractions but he has one hell of a motor
DT/DE Dave Kruger - More even keeled then his brother but just as much of a motor. Their brother Paul Kruger plays for the Ravens.
RB John White - Incredibly undersized at 5-7 190 but I could see him as a ST ace in the NFL and he is a tough runner
WR/KR Reggie Dunn Ted Ginn body type of 5-9 170(ginn is 5-11 180) just scored his 5th KR 100 yard KR TD and has tons of other long run backs and modestly contributes on offense.

Colorado - I dont know anything about Colorado but according to ESPN they only have 5 prospects all borderline UDFA
ILB - Doug Rippy
TE - Nick Kasa - From the few games I've caught Kasa looks comparable to Garrett Celek.
S - Ray Polk
OT - Ryan Dannewitz
DT - Williams Pericak


I'm very surprised that we didn't send anyone to the USC / Notre Dame game. But like I say on the front page we must've given most of our scouts the weekend off.

I bet Dunn was the target. Ginn is likely playing his last season with the team and Dunn is dynamic as a returner. Teams rarely kick to him, yet he's already returner 4 kickoffs for scores. He's averaging around 45 yds/return. Dunn could potentially develop into a slot WR, but it's unlikely. I think he'll go around the 5th-6th purely as a return specialist.

For CU, I think Ray Polk is an interesting guy. He was recruited as a RB and converted to FS as a sophomore (I think). He battled injuries the last couple years and never developed into a ballhawk, but he's pretty athletic and likes contact. He seems to fit the mold that the team likes. He'd be an asset against the run.

Delanie probably won't be back either, so Nick Kasa makes a lot of sense. CU was a mess this year, but Kasa is much better than the stats appear. He's a big TE, listed at 6-6 260lbs and uniquely athletic. He'll be an effective blocker in the NFL and he'll match up well against safeties. Kasa could be a huge steal if stays healthy and develops in the right system. There's word of him possibly coming back for another season, but I think the NCAA has to approve it. That might even be settled by now, not sure. He'll probably move up boards when teams start seeing his athleticism in work outs. I don't know where he's projected, but his potential will probably have him settling around the 4th-5th, possibly higher if he smokes the workouts. His speed is going to be the kicker.
[ Edited by strickac on Nov 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Originally posted by strickac:
I bet Dunn was the target. Ginn is likely playing his last season with the team and Dunn is dynamic as a returner. Teams rarely kick to him, yet he's already returner 4 kickoffs for scores. He's averaging around 45 yds/return. Dunn could potentially develop into a slot WR, but it's unlikely. I think he'll go around the 5th-6th purely as a return specialist.

For CU, I think Ray Polk is an interesting guy. He was recruited as a RB and converted to FS as a sophomore (I think). He battled injuries the last couple years and never developed into a ballhawk, but he's pretty athletic and likes contact. He seems to fit the mold that the team likes. He'd be an asset against the run.

Thanks for your take on it. I agree it was likely Dunn, and I'm very happy we have some extra late round picks to burn this year to use on players like Dunn who could end up turning into something.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by strickac:
I bet Dunn was the target. Ginn is likely playing his last season with the team and Dunn is dynamic as a returner. Teams rarely kick to him, yet he's already returner 4 kickoffs for scores. He's averaging around 45 yds/return. Dunn could potentially develop into a slot WR, but it's unlikely. I think he'll go around the 5th-6th purely as a return specialist.

For CU, I think Ray Polk is an interesting guy. He was recruited as a RB and converted to FS as a sophomore (I think). He battled injuries the last couple years and never developed into a ballhawk, but he's pretty athletic and likes contact. He seems to fit the mold that the team likes. He'd be an asset against the run.

Thanks for your take on it. I agree it was likely Dunn, and I'm very happy we have some extra late round picks to burn this year to use on players like Dunn who could end up turning into something.

Kasa is a strong possibility also. I edited the post and added something about him. I don't know where he's projected, but he's a guy that never dominated like everyone thought could. Injuries and a pathetic passing game are the main reasons. Also, he might get another year of eligibility.

Harbaugh loves versatility and Kasa is definitely versatile. For just converting to the position and the reports of him having his way with people in practice, I think he'll draw plenty of attention. Plus, he has that silly basketball background that gives scouts a hard on. If Kasa posts around a 4.7, his stock will really begin to rise. His size/speed combo is enticing, especially for a guy just leaning the position and that already shown that he has pretty good hands.
[ Edited by strickac on Nov 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,445
Originally posted by strickac:
Kasa is a strong possibility also. I edited the post and added something about him. I don't know where he's projected, but he's a guy that never dominated like everyone thought could. Injuries and a pathetic passing game are the main reasons. Also, he might get another year of eligibility.

Harbaugh loves versatility and Kasa is definitely versatile. For just converting to the position and the reports of him having his way with people in practice, I think he'll draw plenty of attention. Plus, he has that silly basketball background that gives scouts a hard on. If Kasa posts around a 4.7, his stock will really begin to rise. His size/speed combo is enticing, especially for a guy just leaning the position and that already shown that he has pretty good hands.

Before this weekend Kasa has 20 receptions for 340 yards--an avergage of 17 yards per catch-- and 3 scores.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by strickac:
Kasa is a strong possibility also. I edited the post and added something about him. I don't know where he's projected, but he's a guy that never dominated like everyone thought could. Injuries and a pathetic passing game are the main reasons. Also, he might get another year of eligibility.

Harbaugh loves versatility and Kasa is definitely versatile. For just converting to the position and the reports of him having his way with people in practice, I think he'll draw plenty of attention. Plus, he has that silly basketball background that gives scouts a hard on. If Kasa posts around a 4.7, his stock will really begin to rise. His size/speed combo is enticing, especially for a guy just leaning the position and that already shown that he has pretty good hands.

Before this weekend Kasa has 20 receptions for 340 yards--an avergage of 17 yards per catch-- and 3 scores.

One of those 3 scores was a hell of an athletic play. Maybe Kasa could be another Konrad Reuland(a multiyear project of a player), but this time he doesn't get away lol.
Fresno States Phillip Thomas Reminds me of Dashon Goldson Hard Hitter
Originally posted by buck:
Before this weekend Kasa has 20 receptions for 340 yards--an avergage of 17 yards per catch-- and 3 scores.

I know that's why I said to disregard the stats. He was a highly recruited DE and has only played TE for a little over a year. He's big, strong, athletic and extremely raw at the position. He's a physical player and likes contact. Blocking comes natural to him. He has nice hands and as he continues to develop as a receiver, his stock will elevate.

IMO, it'll all depends on how fast he runs. He's fast for a guy his size. If he can crack the 4.7, he'll definitely turn some heads.
[ Edited by strickac on Nov 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Early update. @ChrisSteuber was only able to track a handful of games this weekend.

Oklahoma @ TCU.
Notable prospects
Oklahoma
S Tony Jefferson
WR Kenny Stills
C Ben Habern

TCU
WR Josh Boyce

I'll try and find out if we had any other games this weekend and last weekend as well.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Thought I'd take the time to do this now with the regular season over and only a handfull of conference championships and bowl games left but here is a numerical breakdown of the colleges we've scouted and how many times we've been to a game.

-------------------

1 Air Force
1 Appalachian State
1 Arizona
1 Arkansas
1 Boise State
1 Central Michigan
1 Cincinnati
1 Clemson
1 Colorado State
1 Eastern Kentucky
1 Elon
1 Florida State
1 Fresno State
1 Georgia Tech
1 Iowa
1 James Madison
1 Kansas State
1 Kentucky
1 Kent State
1 Louisville
1 Marshall
1 Miami
1 Michigan State
1 Minnesota
1 Mississippi State
1 Navy
1 Ohio State
1 Ole' Miss
1 Oklahoma State
1 Oregon
1 Oregon State
1 Indiana
1 Rutgers
1 South Florida
1 Stanford
1 Syracuse
1 TCU
1 Temple
1 Towson
1 Utah State
1 Washington
1 Wisconsin

2 Arizona State
2 Boston College
2 BYU
2 East Carolina
2 Georgia
2 Iowa State
2 North Carolina State
2 Notre Dame
2 Pittsburgh
2 Purdue
2 Utah
2 Wake Forest
2 West Virginia
2 Wyoming

3 Colorado
3 Oklahoma
3 USC

4 California
4 North Carolina

5 Virginia Tech

-
I'm only relaying information found by NinerNation and @ChrisSteuber so some of these numbers could actually be a little low by the way.
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 30, 2012 at 7:47 PM ]
Why no Alabama or LSU games?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Why no Alabama or LSU games?

dont know. i dont mind it - not a lot players at positions of need that will be in our range. I'm sure they've been to some -- my list isn't 100% accurate but even if they dont go in person they likely review film on schools like them.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Bump for final tally since its officially draft season for 3/4s of the league.

Most scouted programs are as follows - Also these are likely minimum #s as there is a strong likelihood that scouts were not confirmed at some games.

Virginia Tech 5 Games

North Carolina 4 Games

California 4 Games

USC 3 Games

Oklahoma 3 Games

Colorado 3 Games
Originally posted by sfout:
Bump for final tally since its officially draft season for 3/4s of the league.

Most scouted programs are as follows - Also these are likely minimum #s as there is a strong likelihood that scouts were not confirmed at some games.

Virginia Tech 5 Games

North Carolina 4 Games

California 4 Games

USC 3 Games

Oklahoma 3 Games

Colorado 3 Games
My guess:

Virginia Tech 5 Games- Marcus Davis WR
North Carolina 4 Games- Sylvester Williams DT
California 4 Games- Brian Schwenke C
USC 3 Games- cheerleaders
Oklahoma 3 Games- Michael Williams TE
Colorado 3 Games - Will Pericak DE