LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 121 users in the forums

VaTech, UNC, CAL, USC, OKLAHOMA headline most games scouted for 9ers

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by martysofresh:
With Moss likely to leave after this season, Marcus Davis really jumps out at me when looking at the measurements. Especially after hearing that he has 4.4 speed and a 44inch vertical. Redzone type with speed plus, we've scouted 3 of thier games so far. I havnt seen him play so can somebody give me more input please?

No doubt that Tavon Austin is who they went to see in WV, doubt they'll sincerely target him, but its possible. Def thinking MArcus Davis though in VT.
Shawn Williams and Baccarri RAMBO are obvious ones in Georgia.
not too hard to fugure out who they saw in SoCal either.
No scouts at the WVU vs Texas game?

Nope no scouts at WVU-Texas.

I'm the pilot, mechanic, first class, and coach of the Marcus Davis plane of awesomenes lol - I've been enamored with him ever since I watched him sparingly play last season. IIRC he was recruited as QB but he was injured right before his freshman year started and he fell down the depth chart so they converted him to WR to make sure they got him on the field.

I guess he dislocated his shoulder over a month ago and has been playing through the recovery process, it doesnt seem to have affected him too much but at at least it gives me a reason to think about the drops or lack of extension going for some high passes.

6'4" 235 4.4 speed and even a mid to late round grade? whats not to like? We dont need a superstar just a big body who can move and take advantage of matchups.
Originally posted by sfout:

I'm the pilot, mechanic, first class, and coach of the Marcus Davis plane of awesomenes lol - I've been enamored with him ever since I watched him sparingly play last season. IIRC he was recruited as QB but he was injured right before his freshman year started and he fell down the depth chart so they converted him to WR to make sure they got him on the field.

I guess he dislocated his shoulder over a month ago and has been playing through the recovery process, it doesnt seem to have affected him too much but at at least it gives me a reason to think about the drops or lack of extension going for some high passes.

6'4" 235 4.4 speed and even a mid to late round grade? whats not to like? We dont need a superstar just a big body who can move and take advantage of matchups.

lol. my lucky day. BUt thats what kinda makes me not wanna get my hopes up about him. Im sure we're not the only team that sees how good this kid is. Take a guy like Brian Quick, had a 2nd-4th round grade. I wanted to draft him so bad, honestly my favorite reciever out of that class because he was getting no hype but was very talented. Him and Stephen Hill were two guys that improved their draft stock late last season thru pro day and we missed out on both(not that I really wanted Hill). If he can stay just a hair above average and not get too much hype, maybe theres a chance we could get him. aha. Im gonna hate myself later for really believing that Harbaalke will have the same thoughts. Having a guy like this on our team could make our WR corps so complete, plus having another Davis would be great lol. We must bombard JH with letters!
  • sfout
  • Veteran

lol. my lucky day. BUt thats what kinda makes me not wanna get my hopes up about him. Im sure we're not the only team that sees how good this kid is. Take a guy like Brian Quick, had a 2nd-4th round grade. I wanted to draft him so bad, honestly my favorite reciever out of that class because he was getting no hype but was very talented. Him and Stephen Hill were two guys that improved their draft stock late last season thru pro day and we missed out on both(not that I really wanted Hill). If he can stay just a hair above average and not get too much hype, maybe theres a chance we could get him. aha. Im gonna hate myself later for really believing that Harbaalke will have the same thoughts. Having a guy like this on our team could make our WR corps so complete, plus having another Davis would be great lol. We must bombard JH with letters!

Davis could become the new "Smith" lol - Well I think they already have a good idea about the guys at VaTech and UNC, both of those schools have players that we need, DE/OLB, ILB, OT, WR, CB and DT lol. I know anything can happen but I'd be shocked if we didn't draft a player from either school after 7 combined games scouted and it could keep going up since its only the middle of the season

Davis could become the new "Smith" lol - Well I think they already have a good idea about the guys at VaTech and UNC, both of those schools have players that we need, DE/OLB, ILB, OT, WR, CB and DT lol. I know anything can happen but I'd be shocked if we didn't draft a player from either school after 7 combined games scouted and it could keep going up since its only the middle of the season

I agree. So its settled, we want Marcus Davis and every mock posted on the zone that doesnt include him shall be heavily criticized lol. I think he'll end up being a mid 2nd to mid 3rd round pick barring injury or meg-improvement over the season. Our first pick in the draft will be hard, but I think the 2nd pick will be even harder. He'll fall because of players like Tavon Austin, Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, and Marquis Lee if he declares. I left off some names but those are the top ones
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I agree. So its settled, we want Marcus Davis and every mock posted on the zone that doesnt include him shall be heavily criticized lol. I think he'll end up being a mid 2nd to mid 3rd round pick barring injury or meg-improvement over the season. Our first pick in the draft will be hard, but I think the 2nd pick will be even harder. He'll fall because of players like Tavon Austin, Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, and Marquis Lee if he declares. I left off some names but those are the top ones

He'll be a day 2 pick because of his measurables but with Logan Thomas' erratic play this season I dont see him becoming a 1st rounder because the rest of their schedule is incredibly weak, only hope for him to boost is stock is if Florida State gets back into the top 10 and Davis matches up against Xavier Rhodes and dominates him.

But yes I agree Marcus Davis is this seasons Stephen Hill lol - hate on any mock without him in it Terrance Williams is my second choice for a WR though if we cant get Davis.
[ Edited by sfout on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM ]
Marcus Davis sounds like a very good prospect for the 49ers.

He'll be a day 2 pick because of his measurables but with Logan Thomas' erratic play this season I dont see him becoming a 1st rounder because the rest of their schedule is incredibly weak, only hope for him to boost is stock is if Florida State gets back into the top 10 and Davis matches up against Xavier Rhodes and dominates him.

But yes I agree Marcus Davis is this seasons Stephen Hill lol - hate on any mock without him in it Terrance Williams is my second choice for a WR though if we cant get Davis.

Terrance Williams is the top WR prospect right now. Williams, Allen, Austin, Woods and Dobson should all be off the board by the time they get to us. Not including Lee and Da'Rick Rogers , and Justin Hunter if they declare. Thats 8(9 including Davis) recievers possible that are all playing at a high level and theres like like an 80% chance that at least ONE will be avaiable for us. Though, Harbaalke dont exactly do thee expected so knowing them 5 outta 9 could be there and we wont draft a single one lol. THere's this same exact "problem" with the safeties as well.

Terrance Williams is the top WR prospect right now. Williams, Allen, Austin, Woods and Dobson should all be off the board by the time they get to us. Not including Lee and Da'Rick Rogers , and Justin Hunter if they declare. Thats 8(9 including Davis) recievers possible that are all playing at a high level and theres like like an 80% chance that at least ONE will be avaiable for us. Though, Harbaalke dont exactly do thee expected so knowing them 5 outta 9 could be there and we wont draft a single one lol. THere's this same exact "problem" with the safeties as well.
Only seen Dobson play once and it was against Purdue, but that guy didn't impress me at all. Was a complete non-factor and was shutdown by NFL caliber CBs Josh Johnson and Ricardo Allen.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Only seen Dobson play once and it was against Purdue, but that guy didn't impress me at all. Was a complete non-factor and was shutdown by NFL caliber CBs Josh Johnson and Ricardo Allen.

Really? Wow, I wonder why people have Dobson up so high then. I've never seen Dobson play. Josh Johnson and Ricardo Allen are two names I've been hearing a lot lately.
[ Edited by martysofresh on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Bump

2 notable games this week from my perspective

We had scouts at the Thursday night game Arizona State vs Colorado. That makes 2 visits to watch ASU play

and we have scouts at the BYU vs Oregon State game today which makes 2 straight weeks of BYU for our scouts.

Bump

2 notable games this week from my perspective

We had scouts at the Thursday night game Arizona State vs Colorado. That makes 2 visits to watch ASU play

and we have scouts at the BYU vs Oregon State game today which makes 2 straight weeks of BYU for our scouts.

DE Ezekiel Ansah and OLB Kyle Van Noy from BYU. Keep an eye on those two names.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Excellent thread...best thread in draft room. Thank you.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

THIS
  • sfout
  • Veteran

haha thanks man. Just trying to keep us updated.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

haha thanks man. Just trying to keep us updated.

...which is why this is the best thread in the draft room. I'll be checking in every week.
Share 49ersWebzone