LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

What strategy do you use for next year's draft?

What strategy do you use for next year's draft?

Whoa whoa whoa the season hasn't even started and we're talking about next year's draft???

To early to tell what our needs will be so I'd say best available.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
FS and NT are top ones still IMO. I can't see us paying Goldson 8M a yr that he wants, and Sopoaga is coming off a 20M deal, and doesn't play every down. Realistically the ones who are brought back would be RJF, Moss(If he has a good season), possibly Jacobs if they like him in 2012, Cartwright, and Walker.

We will need a better 5th CB, Brock won't cut it, and at a $1.26M tender, he isn't worth it.

I don't know how much of a need WR will be. Crabtree, Manningham and Jenkins are all signed for 2012, along with Williams if he remains with team. I think it should be a defensive player in rd 1. FS like Robert Lester, Vaughn Telemaque, Baccari Rambo all come to mind and Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, and the Utah kid come to mind for NT.

You think if we let Sopoaga go and re-sign RJF plus with Williams backing him up we still go NT early? Do you think RJF can get it done at NT? Yeah, Sopoaga had a 20 million dollar deal back then and he is much better now. I wouldn't expect him to take less than 25 million or so (4 yrs?). Would be nice to have him back but not sure he is in the budget.

If Brock doesn't step up then I have no problem with us drafting another CB. I think WR could be another need especially if Moss isn't back. Definitely depends on who steps up this year. I would agree in that FS would probably be our 1st round need if Goldson isn't back. I think we do what we can to get him back... if he meets us at 7-7.5 mil we should re-sign him. Hes the QB of our defense back there... I expect him to get better as well. We could always tag him again if we don't need it for someone else.

You're welcome Gore21! Fun to think about FAs anytime. I think Baalke will continue to find difference makers at positions of need so if there is a NT available they may snag him. If it's a safety at the top of their board so be it. They will use FAcy to fill in basic needs, the draft for depth and future...as they did last year. Jenkins and James may not make a difference this year but they look like really great players down the road.
i say trade the 32nd pick for picks.
Go oldschool, trade draftpicks for proven vets ala george allen
Originally posted by 16to87:

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 16to87:

double

and in an effort of serious, what positions would we find these "proven vets" for? We have zero openings on D. The "weak link" in our OL is a 22 year old RT who is improving and our RB corp now has 2 of the best veteran RBs currently in the game followed up by 2 incredibly promising RBs. Our supposed QB of the future hasnt even played any serious action and Alex is more then capable. I cant think of any one position that it would be worthwhile to trade picks away for a veteran player.
Originally posted by sfout:
double

and in an effort of serious, what positions would we find these "proven vets" for? We have zero openings on D. The "weak link" in our OL is a 22 year old RT who is improving and our RB corp now has 2 of the best veteran RBs currently in the game followed up by 2 incredibly promising RBs. Our supposed QB of the future hasnt even played any serious action and Alex is more then capable. I cant think of any one position that it would be worthwhile to trade picks away for a veteran player.

calvin johnson or larry fitz would be nice
Originally posted by sfout:
double

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
calvin johnson or larry fitz would be nice

Yeah, I'd take them! When do they get here? (salivating...)
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Yeah, I'd take them! When do they get here? (salivating...)

130 million and 3 1st rounders... Sure, why not? Since Warner left Fitz has really been wasted in AZ. The guy is full class and gives it his all despite being on a bad team. I wonder what he would say if you asked him if he would come over to our side if given the chance at a reduced salary? Much like Gore's career WAS being wasted... Fitz would be right up there with Barry Sanders. They deserve better... (throw Steven Jackson in that mix as well)
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
FS and NT are top ones still IMO. I can't see us paying Goldson 8M a yr that he wants, and Sopoaga is coming off a 20M deal, and doesn't play every down. Realistically the ones who are brought back would be RJF, Moss(If he has a good season), possibly Jacobs if they like him in 2012, Cartwright, and Walker.

We will need a better 5th CB, Brock won't cut it, and at a $1.26M tender, he isn't worth it.

I don't know how much of a need WR will be. Crabtree, Manningham and Jenkins are all signed for 2012, along with Williams if he remains with team. I think it should be a defensive player in rd 1. FS like Robert Lester, Vaughn Telemaque, Baccari Rambo all come to mind and Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, and the Utah kid come to mind for NT.

You think if we let Sopoaga go and re-sign RJF plus with Williams backing him up we still go NT early? Do you think RJF can get it done at NT? Yeah, Sopoaga had a 20 million dollar deal back then and he is much better now. I wouldn't expect him to take less than 25 million or so (4 yrs?). Would be nice to have him back but not sure he is in the budget.

If Brock doesn't step up then I have no problem with us drafting another CB. I think WR could be another need especially if Moss isn't back. Definitely depends on who steps up this year. I would agree in that FS would probably be our 1st round need if Goldson isn't back. I think we do what we can to get him back... if he meets us at 7-7.5 mil we should re-sign him. Hes the QB of our defense back there... I expect him to get better as well. We could always tag him again if we don't need it for someone else.

Payroll will make a big decision on Sopoaga and Goldson. I wouldn't mind Sopoaga back, I don't know we pay more than 5M a yr. I don't know if Jean Francois can be the full time NT, but he does a good job when needed.

best available cb
Originally posted by ads_2006:
best available cb

Best available safety!
OLB, TE, CB, FS
5th CB or CB overall will be shooting up people's boards. Probably not more than a mid round pick though.
Rogers, Culliver, Brown, and Cox are a pretty strong group and I doubt you use a first round pick here unless depth is really an issue. If they lose Goldson I think safety will be a primary concern. At OLB they have Fleming coming back healthy next year and may have Cam back as well.

Barring injury they will need either FAs or draft picks for: Safety, NT, and perhaps OL. If Goldson and Sopoaga stay and the OLine solidifies the team will be in the enviable situation to take BPA...for real!
Share 49ersWebzone