There are 226 users in the forums

What strategy do you use for next year's draft?

What strategy do you use for next year's draft?

Originally posted by martysofresh:
Id draft a C in the early 2nd to back-up Goodwin. Then a true RG with a mid-late 2nd. but thats if we managed to do that. I feel that as of right now, OL, NT, and S would be the positions to target. WR would be my 4th priority in this draft, but probably the first priority in the 2014 draft. truly depends on alot of factors, and thats what makes it so hard. How will moss do? Will Crabtree and KW have breakout seasons? How well is Jenkins developing? and How expendable is Ted Ginn? On top of that, how good is the talent we have on the Practice Squad(Owusu and Palmer) and can we retain them?

we are grooming kilgore to be our C

we dont need a RG igf boone pans out

NT we have soap and RJF i think we get them extended anyway so i doubt we go after NT

S is definitally a possibility if we dont resign goldson

i can also see TE if we dont get walker back
trade up to the number 1 pick then dont make a pick until the other teams in the top 10 have picked
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
trade up to the number 1 pick then dont make a pick until the other teams in the top 10 have picked

one player i really really want is keenen allen
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

NT we have soap and RJF i think we get them extended anyway so i doubt we go after NT

Yeah, it might be a big IF but if Kilgore is suppose to be the center of the future, Boone the RG of the future and RJF or Soap are back at NT then we should have a pretty clear path to taking BPA. If Goldson doesn't re-sign no doubt I would take a FS at the end of round one. Spillman would have to show a lot not to. Also, 2nd TE in the 2-3 maybe if Walker doesn't re-sign. If Goldson and the rest of those guys are back I might take another WR. Ginn and Moss I believe are free agents after this year and no guarantee either comes back (or retires in Moss' case)
are we going to recieve any comps picks?
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:

It's likely we receive at least 1 for Snyder. Possibly 2. Probably anywhere from 5-7th but no comp picks can be traded.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 31, 2012 at 4:35 PM ]
Depends on this season. If we win the Superbowl, I'd stick w/ our normal picks to keep a bunch of fresh talent coming. If we get there and lose, or have similar results of last year and are 1 piece away..I trade up and see if I can get the "missing piece" on this team.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

It's likely we receive at least 1 for Snyder. Possibly 2. Probably anywhere from 5-7th but no comp picks can be traded.

Who all did we lose? Snyder and Morgan I think? I dont believe Randy Moss and Perrish Cox count towards the comp pick formula so Brandon Jacobs I think would be the only one to count towards it right?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Who all did we lose? Snyder and Morgan I think? I dont believe Randy Moss and Perrish Cox count towards the comp pick formula so Brandon Jacobs I think would be the only one to count towards it right?

manningham as well

manningham as well

Ah yes. The signing everyone keeps forgetting about. I was very happy with that one, he'll have better stats than Morgan this year. I doubt we get any comp picks.

LasVegasWally said it: Wait to see what season shows us

Injury is always one play away.

Alex...does he respond to newer, better WRs.?

As season progresses, where is our biggest hole?/ holes?

Is AJ a Jerry Rice, who couldn't catch diddly thru first half of season 1, then becomes GOAT? Or is he an unfortunate pick?

Same can be said about Kap? Is he what Coach/Baalke thot, or is he a great collegian, who isn't a pro?

Who gets old? Frank? Justin? I doubt Justin, but Frank....maybe.

Does OL with chilo and snyder gone become top flite run and blocking asset? ie,how does Kilgore et al shape up?

Just too many unknowns to make any kind of even remote plans now for next draft.

...then select WR Michael Crabtree.

Anyone who was on a 1 year deal that we signed or lost doesn't count. Moss, Cartwright, Rachal, Reggie Smith, Madieu Williams, Leonard Davis, etc. Anyone that wasn't on a roster or was cut from someone elses roster doesn't count. Same for someone we cut wouldn't count as a loss. Anyone that we re-signed from our own team doesn't count. Jacobs I believe was cut so he doesn't count and Cox wasn't on a roster (cut by broncos) so he doesn't count either (same with LS Pontibrand). So if I am not missing anyone Morgan, Snyder and Blake Costanzo (2 yr deal w/ Bears) count for us as losses and as gains Manningham, Josh Johnson so I think Johnson cancels out Costanzo, Manningham cancels out Morgan and that leaves Snyder. I could be wrong though or have missed someone. So depending on how Snyder plays we should get a 5th-7th.

Found this from AB:
"yes, playing time (games started) , salary and performance(post season accolades) all count. so if Johnson doesn't play he likely won't count against us. Has to do with Salary and Playing Time, so if Costanzo plays more than Johnson, then we could get an extra 7th for that. Snyder got a 17.5M over 5 yr deal, so I expect a 5th rd pick for him, maybe higher to a 4th if he performs at a high level."

So we could be looking at a 5-7 and another 7. Again, can't be traded.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

this

since were going to have the 32nd pick we should try to trade up to #1. But we should be patient and see who falls off the board before were we pick.
I think its a brilliant idea.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Id draft a C in the early 2nd to back-up Goodwin. Then a true RG with a mid-late 2nd. but thats if we managed to do that. I feel that as of right now, OL, NT, and S would be the positions to target. WR would be my 4th priority in this draft, but probably the first priority in the 2014 draft. truly depends on alot of factors, and thats what makes it so hard. How will moss do? Will Crabtree and KW have breakout seasons? How well is Jenkins developing? and How expendable is Ted Ginn? On top of that, how good is the talent we have on the Practice Squad(Owusu and Palmer) and can we retain them?

yeahh, but I know, but im just thinking value and quality of a pick thats all.. but this is hard lol. Like, I cant even do this on madden because the niners have such great talent and small needs. Somebody will walk and ssomebody will get traded, idk RJF's contract but im sure he's good enough to be a starter somewhere, soo would you trade him for maybe the third or fourth, extend Soap for a few more years and draft an NT this year with that second, not too many guys above 300lbs in the 2014 draft so this is a good year for NT and S. With guys like T.J McDonald, Robest Lester, Tyrann Mathieu and Baccari Rambo coming out this year, its hard to think safety regardless of THe Hawk resigning or not. Im sure we'll end up trading some people because guys like Bowman need a contract, Goldson, Walker, Soap..soo next offseason will be interesting
Share 49ersWebzone