There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What strategy do you use for next year's draft?

What strategy do you use for next year's draft?

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
we'll have the fist pick, so I say we try to trade down.

trade up for logan thomas
I think our strategy should be dictated by the strength of the draft. 2009 was a weak draft, not worth using so many picks in. Last year was pretty darn strong however and extra picks in that draft were extremely valuable. It all depends on how our team views the relative strength of the draft.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Jul 14, 2012 at 2:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
I think our strategy should be dictated by the strength of the draft. 2009 was a weak draft, not worth using so many picks in. Last year was pretty darn strong however and extra picks in that draft were extremely valuable. It all depends on how our team views the relative strength of the draft.

That's a good point and definitely one of the factors. Anybody studying the draft in detail yet? I think the safety class is pretty good and WRs as well? Top heavy for QBs? Other than that don't know too much about it or if you would consider it a good class overall.

Side note for those of you who want to trade up and give up our 1st, 2nd and 2 3rds who would you target? Or what position? Are you thinking we will have to replace Goldson? Are you thinking BPA and just get a superstar to help the team? Maybe WR? I just don't think I could give up 4 solid players/backups for 1 player. Is there anyone thinking we will have to get a QB?
Whichever strategy lands us a stud DE or FS
No on the QB.

Dline - Justin is still excellent but is over 30.

Then again, it depends how the season shakes out.

One thing for sure, that Baalke is a shrewd dude and I'm confident he'll surprise a lot of zoners.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
No on the QB.

Dline - Justin is still excellent but is over 30.

Then again, it depends how the season shakes out.

One thing for sure, that Baalke is a shrewd dude and I'm confident he'll surprise a lot of zoners.

Agree, we will all be shocked once again
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toeknee:
trade up for logan thomas

Great idea!
secondaty hasnt had a no1 pick for how long? our front 7 cant conceal this forever
Hard to say really. Depends a lot on if we keep our own FAs, as of now we have the following unsigned for 2013

WR Randy Moss
WR Ted Ginn Jr.
TE Delanie Walker
NT Isaac Sopoaga
NT Ricky Jean Francois
ILB Larry Grant
ILB Tavares Gooden
FS Dashon Goldson
ST/RB Rock Cartwright

Big thing will be do we keep Sopoaga and/or RJF. RJF would be cheaper and could play as well as Sopoaga has/is/will. And of course Goldson situation is to be resolved. Plus we have choices to make to get cap room. Right now we are a little over the cap in 2013. We need to decide on whether to approach Justin Smith to extend and lower his 2013 salary of $7.5M in base, plus decide on whether to keep Jonathan Goodwin around, depends on 2012 season for him. Will Kilgore be ready to be the new Center or we draft someone else?

Then we decide on offense on Moss and Delanie. If Delanie is wanting back, then I say re-sign him, he can be a big part of the offense in the future.

I don't see it costing us our 2nd, and both 3rds plus 1st to move into early-mid 1st. The whole slotting system changes everything that has to do with the trade chart.

I would personally retain Moss, Delanie, Ginn(As long as return rules stay the same), Gooden and RJF. Let Sopoaga(I think he will cost too much), Goldson(Also too much) go in free agency. I would also Extend/redo Justin Smith's deal, release Goodwin, extend Akers, Whitner to allow for a little more cap room, and if possible extend Bowman. Then in draft look at NT, FS, C and depth across the board.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Hard to say really. Depends a lot on if we keep our own FAs, as of now we have the following unsigned for 2013

WR Randy Moss
WR Ted Ginn Jr.
TE Delanie Walker
NT Isaac Sopoaga
NT Ricky Jean Francois
ILB Larry Grant
ILB Tavares Gooden
FS Dashon Goldson
ST/RB Rock Cartwright

Big thing will be do we keep Sopoaga and/or RJF. RJF would be cheaper and could play as well as Sopoaga has/is/will. And of course Goldson situation is to be resolved. Plus we have choices to make to get cap room. Right now we are a little over the cap in 2013. We need to decide on whether to approach Justin Smith to extend and lower his 2013 salary of $7.5M in base, plus decide on whether to keep Jonathan Goodwin around, depends on 2012 season for him. Will Kilgore be ready to be the new Center or we draft someone else?

Then we decide on offense on Moss and Delanie. If Delanie is wanting back, then I say re-sign him, he can be a big part of the offense in the future.

I don't see it costing us our 2nd, and both 3rds plus 1st to move into early-mid 1st. The whole slotting system changes everything that has to do with the trade chart.

I would personally retain Moss, Delanie, Ginn(As long as return rules stay the same), Gooden and RJF. Let Sopoaga(I think he will cost too much), Goldson(Also too much) go in free agency. I would also Extend/redo Justin Smith's deal, release Goodwin, extend Akers, Whitner to allow for a little more cap room, and if possible extend Bowman. Then in draft look at NT, FS, C and depth across the board.
If we get a ring say this year I think Moss would retire, maybe Ice, Akers, and J Smith as well.
Wow, didn't know we are over the cap in 2013 AB. Thanks. I think Goodwin will probably be gone. How much does that free up? I see you have him at 5 mil. Hopefully he plays better this year than last. He was slightly above average to me. Also, it would be great to have Sopoaga and RJF both back but I think you might be right. Sopoaga will cost much more and we might have to give RJF a nice contract being that he will probably be the starting NT. I'm really up in the air about what Delanie will want as well although drafting a 2nd TE would be a lot cheaper. We'd lose most of the versatility though that Delanie offers. We might have to start deciding between players though... RJF vs Sopoaga, Gooden vs Grant, Ginn vs Delanie, etc. Also, you hate to ask Justin to take less but maybe ask him to re-do a deal so he gets less this year and then extend him a few more years. Might also be the year we have to replace Haralson. That might save us 2-3 million.

Anyways, back to the draft I guess we have to face it we will lose guys next year. Good thing is I am confident we can find future replacements or instant replacements with that 1, 2, 3 and 3. Add some more depth/competition with the 4-7. Also, what are the chances we tag Goldson again next year? He'd probably hold out on us. We'd probably have to pay him 8 million but might be better than giving him a 5 year deal 2 years from now. I guess we just have to enjoy next season and hope we have a chance at a SB. Things will start to get shaky after this year... too many good players to keep and lots of guys who need to be extended. Hope our coaching staff and front office can get that Pitt/NE/Baltimore system of reloading with next man/coach up. That would be the eventual goal.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
secondaty hasnt had a no1 pick for how long? our front 7 cant conceal this forever

I'm pretty confident with who we have myself but you are right we haven't picked a player in the 1st for the secondary since Rumph in 02. Spencer and Mays were the closest at a 2nd rounder. No wonder why our secondary struggled for so many years. I guess we did sign big name free agents in that area though. Anyways, might be time if Goldson doesn't re-sign long term. If he does IMO we are good for a few years with Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock, Whitner and Goldson.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Wow, didn't know we are over the cap in 2013 AB. Thanks.

That is the exact reason why I didnt want Manning here...imagine having to pay all that money in the current cap situation.
Originally posted by jreff22:
That is the exact reason why I didnt want Manning here...imagine having to pay all that money in the current cap situation.

Yeah, when they rumored it that Peyton would have taken a small money 1-2 year deal I said ok maybe we can look at him. Not sure I ever believed that rumor but if he would have come at a reasonable price I would have said go for it. After the 90 million/20 million a year numbers started flying around I was like no way. Would have meant waiving goodbye to Rogers and probably every other free agent we signed or picked up. Not to mention putting us in the hole for future extensions.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home