LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Man I hope I am wrong about who we should have drafted!

I kinda liked the idea of drafting Turbin in 2-3rd round, I guess I'll get to see if I'm right...twice a year F-ing Sea-cocks!
Don't worry, you probably are wrong.
We done good. If Coach and Baalke like AJ, then it is must a matter of time and he will be fine. As for La michael, who wasn't even on my sheet, he is a pick who will end up with most receptions, most YAC, most 3rd down conversions, and the man to go to on 3rd down, or in RZ.
you're wrong on both picks.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hopefully, early reports about the rookie WR's begn to spin around, because Jenkins is off to a rocky start compared to many other rookie WR's in OTA's. The Jets seem to love Stephen Hill, who has looked great to the team and writers. The Giants feel the same way about Randle, and the Bengals, along with local beat writers and one national writer thinks that Sanu is a future stud. The Rams appear to be happy with Quick and Givens.

Again, it is still way too early to make any reasonable long-term assessment, and the WR position often takes at least a year to show anything at all, but the early reports are not favorable to the 49ers.

Where are you reading these reports? I thought the last I heard was that Jenkins was looking pretty sharp in OTA's.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Let's just consider, for a moment, who the Jets and Rams have at receiver that can be compared to Stephen Hill or Brian Quick. When you are done considering that, consider what it would be like comparing Stephen Hill and Quick to our current crop of receivers, marquee names like Randy Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, and it might be a little hard for a rookie to stand out in the first couple weeks of OTA's. Give Jenkins some time. He probably won't get many opportunities this year, buried on the depth chart. But by next year, he should be closer to what Baalke and Harbaugh expected, and they probably know that too. I think LaMichael James is going to get a lot more plays to him this year. And then you throw in Vernon Davis, Frank Gire and Delanie Walker and you don't know who to defend.

I agree that time will reveal the truth and value of the players. Hence, the disclaimer that this is really first impressions that the player is leaving with the team and media. Jenkins first arrived overweight and out of shape. In drills, he did not stand out. In fact, one report had Owusu looking quicker on the field and in and out of cuts than Jenkins. The latest from the SF Chronicle states that there is a lot of inconsistency.

As for receiving reps, players cannot control who is on their team's roster, but that is separate from impressions a player leaves with the squad and media.

Instead of Jenkins being the hot topic, it appears Kyle Williams is leaving on the team. in fact, Jenkins is probably the number five receiver right now.
The latest is from the SF Chronicle today.
Time will tell.
The latest is from the SF Chronicle today.

Do you have a link? Haven't heard this at all.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Do you have a link? Haven't heard this at all.

It is currently on the second page of the stories on the main web page

Latest on AJ

Not sure the link is working from my IPad. The title is Practice Notes the ups and downs of AJ Jenkins
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jun 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM ]

• mike
  • Veteran
It is currently on the second page of the stories on the main web page

Latest on AJ

Not sure the link is working from my IPad. The title is Practice Notes the ups and downs of AJ Jenkins
You put HTTP twice.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/06/06/practice-notes-the-ups-and-downs-of-a-j-jenkins/

Anyway, from the notes it seems like nothing that a little time can't fix. A note about him stopping short on a route or taking a football off the helmet is matched by a few tough catches as well.

Like someone else said, Hill and other WRs are going to be the first and main receiver beat guys focus on because most teams don't have Randy moss trying out for them too. So what you're getting is a small slice, maybe just a handful of reps, from one OTA practice(out of weeks of OTA practices). I know at this point we're all suckers for the tiniest bits of information but we really aren't going to find out much about these guys until preseason.
[ Edited by mike on Jun 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM ]
Originally posted by mike:
You put HTTP twice.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/06/06/practice-notes-the-ups-and-downs-of-a-j-jenkins/

Anyway, from the notes it seems like nothing that a little time can't fix. A note about him stopping short on a route or taking a football off the helmet is matched by a few tough catches as well.

Like someone else said, Hill and other WRs are going to be the first and main receiver beat guys focus on because most teams don't have Randy moss trying out for them too. So what you're getting is a small slice, maybe just a handful of reps, from one OTA practice(out of weeks of OTA practices). I know at this point we're all suckers for the tiniest bits of information but we really aren't going to find out much about these guys until preseason.

The concern should be the phrase regarding a lot of drops. It is early in the game, but once again, the news from many other rookie WR's has been strong (Sanu, Hill, Randle), and this will be something to watch down the road, as we measure Jenkins' career with the other WR options we had at number 30.
The LMJ pick was needed. He's a space player, and those are vital to countering the blitz. Frank Gore is still a tough inside runner but his ability to catch a swing pass and burn the D for blitzing has diminshed greatly as Father Time has gotten the best of him.

The Jenkins pick was trash. A mediocre receiver that should have went in the 3rd. Even more upsetting when you consider that 3 receivers are a near lock to be better than him next season: Crab, Moss and Manningham. And Kyle Williams will probably be better as well.
Originally posted by WhenDoesItStop:
The LMJ pick was needed. He's a space player, and those are vital to countering the blitz. Frank Gore is still a tough inside runner but his ability to catch a swing pass and burn the D for blitzing has diminshed greatly as Father Time has gotten the best of him.

The Jenkins pick was trash. A mediocre receiver that should have went in the 3rd. Even more upsetting when you consider that 3 receivers are a near lock to be better than him next season: Crab, Moss and Manningham. And Kyle Williams will probably be better as well.

It takes time to develop a receiver. Those three players would probably have been better than any receiver we could have drafted. But I think you are over the top describing him as trash.
Still would have gone with Coby Fleener, Stephen Hill, or Randall Rueben over Jenkins, but I'll trust in our F/O and watch how this plays out. I was pleased enough with Kendall Hunter to not particularly like the LMJ pick, but again.. I still am excited for the year and explosive weapons are explosive weapons that we can utilize.
Share 49ersWebzone