There are 221 users in the forums

looney switching from left guard to right guard

Originally posted by blm7754:
Boone may be one of the best 5... but he is a tackle. Put him at guard and he won't be one of the best 5. If Boone is going to start, he's got to beat Davis. Davis is a 1st round pick that improved greatly last season. He is the youngest and most physically gifted OL we have. If they are neck and neck... the nod will go to Davis. So Boone has REALLY got to beat him.

Boone is 6'8". That tall! The height will lead to two problems.... one, it makes it harder for the QB to see and throw over the line (which will lead to more high throws). That's almost like giving the defense an extra defender. Two, he will struggle to get the proper leverage against the types of bodies he would typically see at the DT and NT positions. I highly doubt we seriously consider Boone as a OG... not after drafting Looney and Slowey.

As for moving Davis to OG. I don't think that will happen unless he fails to continue the improvement he made last season. If he continues to struggle against top tier pass rushers, then he could be moved to OG. But I think he has at least earned a chance to start the season at RT. And the team is invested in him so I think he will get that chance.

Yeah there's no chance Boone plays guard. I just wonder how much progress he's made in his development. For all we know he could be tearing it up right now and ready to start. If that happens, where do you put him in at? RT is the only spot. Again I believe he'll end up backing up both tackle spots and his contract extension reflects that as well.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Boone may be one of the best 5... but he is a tackle. Put him at guard and he won't be one of the best 5. If Boone is going to start, he's got to beat Davis. Davis is a 1st round pick that improved greatly last season. He is the youngest and most physically gifted OL we have. If they are neck and neck... the nod will go to Davis. So Boone has REALLY got to beat him.

Boone is 6'8". That tall! The height will lead to two problems.... one, it makes it harder for the QB to see and throw over the line (which will lead to more high throws). That's almost like giving the defense an extra defender. Two, he will struggle to get the proper leverage against the types of bodies he would typically see at the DT and NT positions. I highly doubt we seriously consider Boone as a OG... not after drafting Looney and Slowey.

As for moving Davis to OG. I don't think that will happen unless he fails to continue the improvement he made last season. If he continues to struggle against top tier pass rushers, then he could be moved to OG. But I think he has at least earned a chance to start the season at RT. And the team is invested in him so I think he will get that chance.

Yeah there's no chance Boone plays guard. I just wonder how much progress he's made in his development. For all we know he could be tearing it up right now and ready to start. If that happens, where do you put him in at? RT is the only spot. Again I believe he'll end up backing up both tackle spots and his contract extension reflects that as well.

I like your previous post better.

IF Boone is one of the 5 best linemen and Harbaugh is true to his word (which I believe him to be here), we could well see your scenario: Boone at a tackle position and Davis at guard. Davis has the nasty temprement for that position. The quickness of foot to pull and the disposition to stymie a push up the center by the opposing DL. I don't think that the coach would be wedded to the idea of keeping him at tackle if he does his best work at guard. Especially if Boone can do an as-good or better job at tackle.

Of course, it's all speculation and we don't know. But it'll be interesting to see it play out.
Well we know that Boone has the job of back up tackle for both sides. So the tackle backup position is settled for the moment. The great question will be if Kilgore/Person has developed to the point of being able to take the RG position or if they are good enough to be the back up tackle and then move Boone to RT and David to RG. Then we now have Looney/Slowey to add to the mix. On top of that we have the backup Center question - Slowey, Beeler, Person. So it will be interesting to see how the TC clarifies the issues of who goes where. The coaches have a lot of players to coach up.
how can anyone call themselves a niner fan still calling the man LUPATI
Originally posted by Garcia:
so huge.
i dont think he will make the team.
lol..I thought this was actually a pretty funny post, but then I saw you got jumped by the gang. I guess its hard to convey sarcasm.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
so huge.
lol..I thought this was actually a pretty funny post, but then I saw you got jumped by the gang. I guess its hard to convey sarcasm.

Try using smileys. Or exclamation marks. Or get used to being misunderstood.

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
so huge.

Try using smileys. Or exclamation marks. Or get used to being misunderstood.

What and lose the classic deadpan dry humor??? no way garcia
By the way, we dont seem to be able to get Iupati's name right, but there is some kind of weird humour in having Lupati and looney
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
By the way, we dont seem to be able to get Iupati's name right, but there is some kind of weird humour in having Lupati and looney

How awesome would it have been if we also drafted Nick Toon. Looney Toon.
I made the switch too, it was a good decision.

Originally posted by NinerG94:
Nah, I think Kilgore will win the starting job. Boone is probably the 5th best OL... but he is pretty tall for a OG. You want to avoid having really tall guys at the interior positions because they can block throwing lanes.

Starting line will be: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, Davis. On the bench will be Looney backing up both OG spots, Slowey backing up C, and Boone backing up both OT spots.

I think that's the most logical lineup. But, what if Boone ends up being one of the best 5 lineman after camp is all said and done? I believe he will be and you can't just sit him on the bench. What if this lineup is more effective? Staley Iupati Goodwin Davis Boone? I can't imagine Kilgore beating out Davis for the guard spot if given the chance to compete. The drop-off from Davis to Boone at tackle wouldn't be near as big as Davis to Kilgore at guard. Going to be interesting how it all shakes out.
I agree.

Everyone keeps saying that because Davis was selected in the first round, he cannot be moved to RG. Why not? It is not a failure to move a player to a position where he better serves the team! If Davis can best be used at RG, with Boone at RT, then why not do it? That's the real meaning of 5 best OL.
[ Edited by longtime49erfan on May 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM ]
I think hell make the adjustments necessary.

Iupati will stay at LG no matter how he does. I'm still hoping Kilgore ises to hte occasion.
Originally posted by hofer36:
how big of a change is it? seems like the left guard does more pulling in niners system, while the right guard is more of drive blocker...

It takes more to change from the tackles position because you have move more to one direction. Guards will play more in the middle, going a little left at times and right on others. Also, guards will pull in both directions. If the niners did indeed pull more in one direction than the other, it is not so much choice, but by personell. Meaning they had more success cause the player leading was better and the other wasn't as good. Other times it is what is opposite the line, the opponent may be stronger on one side.

Originally posted by DirtyP:
Why does anyone have confidence in Kilgore when we drafted Looney (a true guard) earlier than when we took Kilgore (a college left tackle) in the draft last year?

Simple, the belief that one year in the system means he doesn't have to think as much, just read and recognise. Just like Snyder is a veteran but Chilo was supposed to be younger and stronger.
Originally posted by 99problems:
how can anyone call themselves a niner fan still calling the man LUPATI

Yeah dude, made a slip up on his name. My bad. It happens. Been a niner fan since 78, probably know a lot more than yourself about the Niners and their history.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Yeah dude, made a slip up on his name. My bad. It happens. Been a niner fan since 78, probably know a lot more than yourself about the Niners and their history.

what do you make of andrew Lupati's chances of making the team?
Share 49ersWebzone