There are 200 users in the forums

looney switching from left guard to right guard

Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Originally posted by 99problems:
how can anyone call themselves a niner fan still calling the man LUPATI

Yeah dude, made a slip up on his name. My bad. It happens. Been a niner fan since 78, probably know a lot more than yourself about the Niners and their history.

I am tempted to knock your heads together. Two fans of the same team, and you are just trying to put each other down.

And by the way, not posting on the subject.
It seems Harbaugh has a plan or they would have gone for one of the top OGs this draft. Choices:

Staley/Iupati/Goodwin/Kilgore/Davis
Staley/Iupati/Goodwin/Davis/Boone
Staley/Iupati/Goodwin/Boone/Davis

Or some other choice...
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 99problems:
how can anyone call themselves a niner fan still calling the man LUPATI

Yeah dude, made a slip up on his name. My bad. It happens. Been a niner fan since 78, probably know a lot more than yourself about the Niners and their history.

I am tempted to knock your heads together. Two fans of the same team, and you are just trying to put each other down.

And by the way, not posting on the subject.

Thank you English, I had commented a couple of times on the thread. I had to respond since I'm being called out. But yes, we are both niner fans. It's all good.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It seems Harbaugh has a plan or they would have gone for one of the top OGs this draft. Choices:

Staley/Iupati/Goodwin/Kilgore/Davis
Staley/Iupati/Goodwin/Davis/Boone
Staley/Iupati/Goodwin/Boone/Davis

Or some other choice...

I think Baalke felt there's enough competition with Kilgore and Boone being the top picks because they are familiar with the system and are heavily involved in the offseason program. But I like the competition that they brought in too.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
I agree.

Everyone keeps saying that because Davis was selected in the first round, he cannot be moved to RG. Why not? It is not a failure to move a player to a position where he better serves the team! If Davis can best be used at RG, with Boone at RT, then why not do it? That's the real meaning of 5 best OL.

That is correct. But Davis has loads of physical talent... much more than Boone. He has the ability to hang with the top pass rushers in the league while manhandling guys in the running game. That is why he was a 1st round pick. When drafted, he was viewed as a raw player with great potential. If he were more NFL ready he would have been the 1st OT off the board.

If Davis breaks-out and realizes his full potential than he best serves the team at tackle. Tackles are harder to find and much more valuable than guards.

Now if he fails at tackle, then he could be salvaged as a guard. Problem is, nobody can make that call right now. Especially after how he improved during last season.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
I agree.

Everyone keeps saying that because Davis was selected in the first round, he cannot be moved to RG. Why not? It is not a failure to move a player to a position where he better serves the team! If Davis can best be used at RG, with Boone at RT, then why not do it? That's the real meaning of 5 best OL.

That is correct. But Davis has loads of physical talent... much more than Boone. He has the ability to hang with the top pass rushers in the league while manhandling guys in the running game. That is why he was a 1st round pick. When drafted, he was viewed as a raw player with great potential. If he were more NFL ready he would have been the 1st OT off the board.

If Davis breaks-out and realizes his full potential than he best serves the team at tackle. Tackles are harder to find and much more valuable than guards.

Now if he fails at tackle, then he could be salvaged as a guard. Problem is, nobody can make that call right now. Especially after how he improved during last season.
Good reply and analysis. Thanks.
I think Baalke felt there's enough competition with Kilgore and Boone being the top picks because they are familiar with the system and are heavily involved in the offseason program. But I like the competition that they brought in too.

Coaches tend to favor the vet, particularly on the OLine. Kigore and Boone have a headstart for the job but who knows what the final line will be! Saw in G Cohn's column that Boone and Smith tend to be work out buddies so perhaps they are trying to get someone in there who has Smith's back. Rachal seemed to be trying to get Smith killed at times. Plus, Boone takes up a lot of room so perhaps RG would be OK for him. Someone has to stop that blitz up the middle!
Looney reminds me of Pablo Sandoval. Except he can speak English.
Share 49ersWebzone