There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

looney switching from left guard to right guard

how big of a change is it? seems like the left guard does more pulling in niners system, while the right guard is more of drive blocker...
It's better for him. Iupati still pulls but Looney can pull too.....he ran a 4.9 in the 40 before he got hurt.
[ Edited by Oldschool9erfan on May 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM ]
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
so huge.
i dont think he will make the team.
Member Milestone: This is post number 400 for Oldschool9erfan.
It's not as a big switch as from Left to right tackle or vice versa.
It shouldnt matter.
Originally posted by Garcia:
so huge.

He'll make the team.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
so huge.

He'll make the team.

trolololololol
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
It's better for him. Lupati still pulls but Looney can pull too.....he ran a 4.9 in the 40 before he got hurt.

FYI
Iupati, there is no "L", but an upercase "i"
It is more significant than people realize. It's a bigger deal for tackles to switch sides than for guards... but still a big adjustment.

Lets say you are right handed and someone tells you that you have to start doing things with your left. That is essentially what an OL does when he switches sides. Your stance, balance, footwork, and hand technique must mirror to the other side. It takes practice to be effective playing on both sides.

This is why you generally should NOT switch up your OL mid-season. Backups generally practice at several positions so they are better suited to be inserted at multiple places on the line. But starters don't get reps anywhere other than their position. That is why having a guy like Snyder on the bench is so valuable. He will be missed.
[ Edited by blm7754 on May 9, 2012 at 7:38 AM ]
so huge.

Ok Garcia ..I'll bet you a 12 pack of soda that Looney will be starting at RG on opening day

Call it a hunch
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
so huge.

Ok Garcia ..I'll bet you a 12 pack of soda that Looney will be starting at RG on opening day

Call it a hunch

Nah, I think Kilgore will win the starting job. Boone is probably the 5th best OL... but he is pretty tall for a OG. You want to avoid having really tall guys at the interior positions because they can block throwing lanes.

Starting line will be: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, Davis. On the bench will be Looney backing up both OG spots, Slowey backing up C, and Boone backing up both OT spots.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Nah, I think Kilgore will win the starting job. Boone is probably the 5th best OL... but he is pretty tall for a OG. You want to avoid having really tall guys at the interior positions because they can block throwing lanes.

Starting line will be: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, Davis. On the bench will be Looney backing up both OG spots, Slowey backing up C, and Boone backing up both OT spots.

I think thats the most logical lineup. But, what if Boone ends up being one of the best 5 lineman after camp is all said and done? I believe he will be and you can't just sit him on the bench. What if this lineup is more effective? Staley Iupati Goodwin Davis Boone? I can't imagine Kilgore beating out Davis for the guard spot if given the chance to compete. The dropoff from Davis to Boone at tackle wouldn't be near as big as Davis to Kilgore at guard. Going to be interesting how it all shakes out.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
so huge.

Call it a hunch

fully agree with this
Why does anyone have confidence in Kilgore when we drafted Looney (a true guard) earlier than when we took Kilgore (a college left tackle) in the draft last year?
Originally posted by NinerG94:

I think thats the most logical lineup. But, what if Boone ends up being one of the best 5 lineman after camp is all said and done? I believe he will be and you can't just sit him on the bench. What if this lineup is more effective? Staley Iupati Goodwin Davis Boone? I can't imagine Kilgore beating out Davis for the guard spot if given the chance to compete. The dropoff from Davis to Boone at tackle wouldn't be near as big as Davis to Kilgore at guard. Going to be interesting how it all shakes out.

Boone may be one of the best 5... but he is a tackle. Put him at guard and he won't be one of the best 5. If Boone is going to start, he's got to beat Davis. Davis is a 1st round pick that improved greatly last season. He is the youngest and most physically gifted OL we have. If they are neck and neck... the nod will go to Davis. So Boone has REALLY got to beat him.

Boone is 6'8". That tall! The height will lead to two problems.... one, it makes it harder for the QB to see and throw over the line (which will lead to more high throws). That's almost like giving the defense an extra defender. Two, he will struggle to get the proper leverage against the types of bodies he would typically see at the DT and NT positions. I highly doubt we seriously consider Boone as a OG... not after drafting Looney and Slowey.

As for moving Davis to OG. I don't think that will happen unless he fails to continue the improvement he made last season. If he continues to struggle against top tier pass rushers, then he could be moved to OG. But I think he has at least earned a chance to start the season at RT. And the team is invested in him so I think he will get that chance.