There are 157 users in the forums

Who will be a better NFL guard: DeCastro or Looney"?

Who will be a better NFL guard: DeCastro or Looney"?

Originally posted by Amir:
lol is this a joke?

DeCastro

/ thread

Looney, easily. He'll be a Pro Bowl RG in 3 years. Book it!

DeCastro will be good, but the Steelers line will continue to give up sacks in bunches. Unless DeCastro learns to play OT and teaches Ben to get rid off the ball quicker, the Steelers line will struggle.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Really?

Dumbest poll I have ever seen. You are asking between the best OG in the draft compared to a mid rounder?

Personally I hope this works out to where Looney is a perenial pro bowler,

Chilo Rachal was the 1st OG selected in the 2008 draft. Carl Nicks was selected in the 5th round.
For those who say Looney. If Looney wasnt a niner would you stoll say Looney?
Decastro without question. Dumb question and poll
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
DeCastro is a Steeler....Looney is a 49er....im picking LOOOOOOOONEY!!!!!

THIS LOL THIS
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Amir:
lol is this a joke?

DeCastro

/ thread

If that was true 49ers would of traded up to Get DeCastro a reason he dropped to the 20's
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Yes......and as much as I respect MD, I disagree with him on this point. It comes down to this...

MD's thinking is that the Niners have struggled mightily to put a solid player at that RG spot for years, ever since Smiley left. Quite true. The question then becomes... Does adding a great quality RG solve the Niners' offensive problems enough to warrant investing1st and 3rd round picks on said player (which is what it would have taken to trade up for DeCastro)?

The Niner FO clearly didn't think so, even if they felt that DeCastro might someday become a Pro Bowl player. In general, I don't think the team places a high value on the OG position, thinking they can develop a solid OG via good coaching and therefore don't need to invest a high draft pick on one....instead saving those high picks for skill players such as the guys we've seen them draft in the past two years.....pass rusher, QB, CB, WR, and RB....

The Niners' Front Office's thinking obviously was that they already had a good developmental RG in Kilgore and simply needed to add a decent prospect to compete for that position (which could be had later in the draft)....and of course, that is what happened. They felt that the teams' biggest weakness last season was not the OL per se, but playmakers on offense or, more specifically, guys who can stretch the field, get open consistently on pass routes, and actually create concern for opposing defenses.

As we all know, the team was woeful on third down and in the red zone, so they chose to get playmakers with their first two picks. Now....we can all argue about the players themselves and whether they got good value at those slots in the draft but I think no one can argue with their strategy of adding playmakers and guys with top speed.

Cheers!

I understand the team's perspective, even though I disagree with it. Only time will tell who is correct.

So far, I am pretty much dead on in my prediction that DeCastro would win this thread in a 60-40 ratio. At 66-34, right in the park.

The numbers are not static. Right now it is 71% to 29%.
Originally posted by stonecold590:

You should probably reference the link provided that sheds some light onto why this thread was started.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

You should probably reference the link provided that sheds some light onto why this thread was started.

In an attempt to eliminate confusion, I added a short version of the interchange between MD and myself to the first post in the thread.
I understand the team's perspective, even though I disagree with it. Only time will tell who is correct.

So far, I am pretty much dead on in my prediction that DeCastro would win this thread in a 60-40 ratio. At 66-34, right in the park.

You assume people who vote for Looney are serious. They are obviously not.

If I started a poll that asked, "Who was the better player, Jerry Rice or Rashaun Woods?", I am sure you would see similar results, not because anyone believes it, but because they just want to muck around with the poll results.

Originally posted by susweel:
Looney because he is a niner.

This. Homerism at best.
Here's the point in drafting a midround player instead of moving up to get Decastro.

1. It would of costed us a 4th round pick at least.

2. We already have one of the best guards in the league at the end of the contracts we'd run into the same problem as New Orleans did with not having the cap space to keep two bad ass guards.I think if he'd of been avaliable at our pick we may have taken him because he would of been BPA. But any arguement to move up for Decastro could be equal to any arguement to move up for Michael Floyd, Beastman, or even Luck to an extreme.

3. Kinda goes back to #2, if Looney becomes say an all pro by season 3 or 4, he'd still be way less expensive then Decastro to resign. You cannot have superstar at every position especially more then one, we'll run into that problem when Navarro needs to be resigned.

I'm a little confused by your tactics.

Are you doubting one of our players? That treasonous behavior will not be tolerated in here!
  • buck
  • Veteran

There have been 1,899 Views of this thread.

There have been only 99 votes.

The vote stands at 72% to 28%.

Of the possible 1,899 votes, approximately only 28 voted in favor of Looney.

I just do not think your prediction can be accurately be classified as dead on.

I do not deny the existence of a bias in favor of 49er players.

In fact, given that this is forum dedicated to 49ers, it does seem logical to expect such a bias to exist.

Again, I urge you stop painting with a broad brush and challenge those individuals that you feel are not honest.
[ Edited by buck on May 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
DeCastro is a Steeler....Looney is a 49er....im picking LOOOOOOOONEY!!!!!

THIS LOL THIS

Yea I dont understand how you could pick another teams player over your own....
Share 49ersWebzone