There are 176 users in the forums

Who will be a better NFL guard: DeCastro or Looney"?

Who will be a better NFL guard: DeCastro or Looney"?

Looney all the way because of his Afro.
Hey aren't you the same guy who put up the poll back in 2000 on who was going to be the best QB between 1st round pick Chad Pennington and 6th rd pick Tom Brady? We will see if the fans choose right this time. Ha
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
2008 NFL Draft:

1st Guard drafted: Pick 39, Chilo Rachal (2nd round)

Best Guard drafted: Pick 164, Carl Nicks (5th round)
i think there is a huge difference

rachal was considered raw and needed a lot of work

decastro is not only considered pro ready but said to be the best guard prospect of all time

I think so too, just wanted to point out that anything is possible.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
2008 NFL Draft:

1st Guard drafted: Pick 39, Chilo Rachal (2nd round)

Best Guard drafted: Pick 164, Carl Nicks (5th round)
i think there is a huge difference

rachal was considered raw and needed a lot of work

decastro is not only considered pro ready but said to be the best guard prospect of all time

I defintely think DeCastro is the better prospect but I don't like drafting guards in the first round. While Looney isn't as good as Decastro I like Looney in the 4th round better than I like Decastro in the first.
So....how many more days till training camp? Threads start to get bizarre around this time.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mjboot:
Hey aren't you the same guy who put up the poll back in 2000 on who was going to be the best QB between 1st round pick Chad Pennington and 6th rd pick Tom Brady? We will see if the fans choose right this time. Ha

No. Was not a member in 2000. I did not know the Webzone existed in 2000.
Who knows ... Maybe DeCastro has already reached his ceiling and in a few years Looney is found to be the better player. Don't have to get all bent out of shape about it, that's just, well ...

Looney

Impossible to predict, why bother.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MILFS:
Originally posted by susweel:
Looney because he is a niner.

This. Homerism at best.

Being a homer, at least in my book, is a negative. But, then I am old, and the world does change.

homer- Someone who shows blind loyalty to a team or organization, typically ignoring any shortcomings or faults they have.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=homer

So far the clear majority of those who responded to this poll are not homers.

• mike
  • Veteran
Obviously when you take Rachal as the top guard in the 08 draft and Carl Nicks isn't taken till the 5th, and Sitton from the Packers is a 4th rounder that year, I think you can never tell who is going to be the best guard out of a draft class.

People like to look back and say that scouts called him raw back then but I highly doubt that they did(I mean compared to nicks and sitton he was deemed more day 1 ready). What I read was that he was seen as a mauler who could immediately contribute because he "faced elite talent in the Pac 10". He had a few injuries in college, but he still rocketed up draft boards because of his elite size.

DeCastro looks promising, but he's still a prospect and you never know how well he's going to perform. Lucky for him it seems he's at least entering a pretty good situation in Pittsburgh.
[ Edited by mike on May 8, 2012 at 3:36 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I understand the team's perspective, even though I disagree with it. Only time will tell who is correct.

So far, I am pretty much dead on in my prediction that DeCastro would win this thread in a 60-40 ratio. At 66-34, right in the park.

The percentage of votes in favor of Looney continue to drop.

The vote now stands at 74% to 26%.

Stealing the words of Bobby Zimmerman: Where have all the homers gone?

Cheers.
[ Edited by buck on May 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM ]
  • bors
  • Veteran
homer here...is loco for looney
Originally posted by bors:
homer here...is loco for looney

Home on the zone....
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I defintely think DeCastro is the better prospect but I don't like drafting guards in the first round. While Looney isn't as good as Decastro I like Looney in the 4th round better than I like Decastro in the first.

This.
Share 49ersWebzone