LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Who will be a better NFL guard: DeCastro or Looney"?

Who will be a better NFL guard: DeCastro or Looney"?

• Nuns
  • Veteran
The current (versus the next) Steve Hutchinson has zero Super Bowl rings. Nothing against the player, who was dominant in prime, but a statement against the importance of the position.

The current Super Bowl champion guards are Seubert (undrafted free agent) and Snee (2nd round pick). I'm under the impression our current front office doesn't place a premium on RG and prefers the skill positions at this point the development of the franchise.
Originally posted by buck:
Today, you state, "That is my point, regardless if the number was 50 or 40 or 30 or 20 or even 10 percent."

You issued a challenge that gave specific percentages: 60% to 40%.
I took your challenge at face value, and felt that actual numbers would not jibe with your prediction.
Apparently, my skepticism was warranted.

Now, you argue that the numbers are not important. When exactly did the specific percentages lose their value?

In post # 15 of this thread, the numbers had importance, or so it seemed.
You contended, "So far, I am pretty much dead on in my prediction that DeCastro would win this thread in a 60-40 ratio. At 66-34, right in the park."

In the thread on your draft analysis, you argued thus:

"As stated in this thread, I believe, I challenged one poster who did not believe in this bias to post a DeCastro or Looney thread. I said the results wold come out about 60-40 for DeCastro, even though if DeCastro was the Niners selection, the number would be 99-1 percent. I was not far off. Right now the number is 66-34 percent for DeCastro."

First, in this post the numbers again seemed to be important to you.

Second, I was the poster who you challenged. You described me as one poster who did not believe in this bias. At no point did I ever claim that this bias did not exist. In fact, I understood that such a bias exists; I contended that you overstated the depth of that bias—that you painted with too broad a brush.

I do have one question. Do you consider me to be one of the "a couple of board members who do not know very much about the draft, but stand in defense of the Baalke, and are offended by my analysis because it is not full of glowing praise with each and every pick ?"

I am just wondering about how that statement fits into this thread.

I would like to think that I am not, but who knows.

cheers.

Well said, and well done, buck. Yes, there can be civil disagreements on this board, and you came out as a clear winner--civil, honest, consistent, and courteous in stating your viewpoint.

Irrespective of what this argument was about, the way you presented your position deserves respect, IMHO. Well done.
Is it just me or is this thread going nowhere? We all know Mad Dog is the greatest football mind and talent scout ever. While we are all bias couch quaterbacks without any knowledge of the game what-so-ever. Case closed.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Well said, and well done, buck. Yes, there can be civil disagreements on this board, and you came out as a clear winner--civil, honest, consistent, and courteous in stating your viewpoint.

Irrespective of what this argument was about, the way you presented your position deserves respect, IMHO. Well done.

Thank you.
DeCastro will definitely be a better guard in the NFL. There's a reason why he was a first round pick, but I do think that Looney has potential to be a solid contributor for the 49ers.
After Chilo Rachal I don't believe in USC guards...
Share 49ersWebzone