There are 181 users in the forums

MadDog's Niners Draft Grade and Analysis for 2012 NFL Draft

Originally posted by dj43:
I am not OK with Jenkins not playing.

Our WRs are lack deep speed and that is making it very difficult to complete the short-medium routes as safeties continue to crowd down closer to the LOS. Jenkins was supposed to the big, fast guy that would change that. The fact he hasn't seen the field suggests that the scouting reports on him were not very accurate. The other possibility is that Harbaugh/Roman are too convinced that the combination of power running and gimmick/gadget plays will get the job done. I think it is some of each, however, whatever the reason, our WRs are not so wonderful that they would keep a #1 draft pick on the inactive list unless there was some other reason.

I think Jenkins would be starting over Kyle Williams but Williams is getting suited up because he is our back up returnman with an injury prone Ginn.

Also, keep in mind rookie WRs take roughly 3 years to develop. Its extremely rare for a rookie WR to be productive in year one. Usually when they are its because 1) they are a top 10 pick or 2) they play on an awful squad. Moss will be gone next year and Jenkins will get used as our #3 WR

Same thing with LaMike, we have 2 RBs that are playing great. And our 3rd RB getting dressed is becuase of special teams.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Nov 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Marsh:
and he is our emergency QB

lol, sad but true.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
So is our draft grade TBD cause we dont play our draft picks???

Should be

haha smh

im not sure how I feel about them not playing....

Im ok with it.....as long as we stand 6-2.....if our record was different...I would be screaming to see some LMJ

Our WRs are lack deep speed and that is making it very difficult to complete the short-medium routes as safeties continue to crowd down closer to the LOS. Jenkins was supposed to the big, fast guy that would change that. The fact he hasn't seen the field suggests that the scouting reports on him were not very accurate. The other possibility is that Harbaugh/Roman are too convinced that the combination of power running and gimmick/gadget plays will get the job done. I think it is some of each, however, whatever the reason, our WRs are not so wonderful that they would keep a #1 draft pick on the inactive list unless there was some other reason.

iM NOT SURE OUR PFFENSE CALLS FOR DEEP SPEED i THINK WE USE jENKINS WHEN kAEP STARTS
A speedy receiver with the size Jenkins brings would make a lot of difference in this offense. Right now safeties do not have to worry about anyone getting behind the CBs because the 49ers don't have anyone with that kind of speed. If a speed receiver were in the game, safeties would have to stay back another 3-5 yards which would open a lot of slants and crossing routes that are currently getting jammed.

It isn't just about throwing long. It is also about the threat of the deep ball...and yes, Smith can throw it plenty deep. We have seen him put it in the air 60+ yards on occasion but when there is no one down there that is open, there is no point in throwing it. Hence, the need for Jenkins on the field.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I think Jenkins would be starting over Kyle Williams but Williams is getting suited up because he is our back up returnman with an injury prone Ginn.

Also, keep in mind rookie WRs take roughly 3 years to develop. Its extremely rare for a rookie WR to be productive in year one. Usually when they are its because 1) they are a top 10 pick or 2) they play on an awful squad. Moss will be gone next year and Jenkins will get used as our #3 WR

Same thing with LaMike, we have 2 RBs that are playing great. And our 3rd RB getting dressed is becuase of special teams.

I agree with the Williams scenario. I just don't see the offense expanding a lot more without a speed guy on the outside. Perhaps using Jenkins instead of Celek would give a chance to open things up...like against the Bears.

Should be

haha smh

Im ok with it.....as long as we stand 6-2.....if our record was different...I would be screaming to see some LMJ

iM NOT SURE OUR PFFENSE CALLS FOR DEEP SPEED i THINK WE USE jENKINS WHEN kAEP STARTS
A speedy receiver with the size Jenkins brings would make a lot of difference in this offense. Right now safeties do not have to worry about anyone getting behind the CBs because the 49ers don't have anyone with that kind of speed. If a speed receiver were in the game, safeties would have to stay back another 3-5 yards which would open a lot of slants and crossing routes that are currently getting jammed.

It isn't just about throwing long. It is also about the threat of the deep ball...and yes, Smith can throw it plenty deep. We have seen him put it in the air 60+ yards on occasion but when there is no one down there that is open, there is no point in throwing it. Hence, the need for Jenkins on the field.

Eh, next year
  • dj43

Should be

haha smh

Eh, next year

Yeh, that seems to be where Harbaugh is on Jenkins. The early camp reports indicated he needed to gain strength and put on weight. Looks like he has not satisfied that need yet.
Not sure where else to put it, but I was really high on Nate Potter, I thuoght he should have been drafted in the first 3 rounds.

He fell to the 7th round to the Cards....

But now he is getting the start at LT! Could still bust, but I feel some vindication after he fell to the 7th.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think it is fun to review your analysis a year later.

Jenkins - you nailed it when you said F, but you also admitted that you thought he was a C, which in hindsight is way too high.
LMJ was given a D grade. He did better than that his first year, but D is what he has done in the preseason.
Looney/Slowey (and the missed opportunity to get a G/C in the first) - I think you missed here big time.
Fleming - You gave a D which was correct.
Robinson/Johnson - You gave A grades for them. They did make the team last year, and I guess we will find out if they make the team again this year. Johnson just turned in a monster performance so he is likely. A may be a little high for them, but they were above average for their round.

So looking back, I think you are more correct than incorrect. The best thing we did was get more picks for the draft we had this year.
Originally posted by fryet:
I think it is fun to review your analysis a year later.

Jenkins - you nailed it when you said F, but you also admitted that you thought he was a C, which in hindsight is way too high.
LMJ was given a D grade. He did better than that his first year, but D is what he has done in the preseason.
Looney/Slowey (and the missed opportunity to get a G/C in the first) - I think you missed here big time.
Fleming - You gave a D which was correct.
Robinson/Johnson - You gave A grades for them. They did make the team last year, and I guess we will find out if they make the team again this year. Johnson just turned in a monster performance so he is likely. A may be a little high for them, but they were above average for their round.

So looking back, I think you are more correct than incorrect. The best thing we did was get more picks for the draft we had this year.

Looking back is fun, since you are always going to have massive head scratching moments. I really like how my 2012 draft has shaped up:
1. Peter Konz- starting center for the Falcons. Looking good so far
2. Mohamed Sanu- starting WR for the Bengals
3. Brandon Thompson- reserve DT for Bengals
4. Malik Jackson- DT for Broncos looking great this offseason
5. Vick Ballard- starting RB for Colts
6. Antonio Allen- fighting for starting spot with Jets
7. Derrius Brooks- CFL
  • fryet
  • Veteran
This thread has your 2011 draft. I would post there, but it is locked:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/154437-maddogs-final-wrap-grade-niners/search=MadDog49er

This was Baalke's home run draft. It is not surprising that in hindsight your analysis was off.

Aldon Smith - You gave a C, and this is definitely an A+. However, your other choice Wyatt, is also an A+.
Colin Kaepernick - You gave a C, and this is also definitely an A+.
Chris Culliver - You gave a C+. That is probably about right. First backup at corner after 2nd season.
Kendall Hunter - You gave an A. I think that might be slightly generous, but first backup at RB in the 4th round is good, so I am quibbling over what I think should be an A- or B+ grade.
Daniel Kilgore - You gave a D. I think he is probably the 49er's best backup. A 5th round pick he is at least a B.
Ronald Johnson and Colin Jones - You gave a C. Johnson was a F, and I think Colin made the team for 1 year. So I think D would be better.
7th rounders - you gave them a F. 2 of 3 didn't make the team, but Miller is a solid choice as our starting FB. So in his case I think he was an A or at least a B.

So how did your picks do in comparison for the 2011 draft?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/154437-maddogs-final-wrap-grade-niners/search=MadDog49er

This was Baalke's home run draft. It is not surprising that in hindsight your analysis was off.

Aldon Smith - You gave a C, and this is definitely an A+. However, your other choice Wyatt, is also an A+.
Chris Culliver - You gave a C+. That is probably about right. First backup at corner after 2nd season.
Kendall Hunter - You gave an A. I think that might be slightly generous, but first backup at RB in the 4th round is good, so I am quibbling over what I think should be an A- or B+ grade.
Daniel Kilgore - You gave a D. I think he is probably the 49er's best backup. A 5th round pick he is at least a B.
Ronald Johnson and Colin Jones - You gave a C. Johnson was a F, and I think Colin made the team for 1 year. So I think D would be better.
7th rounders - you gave them a F. 2 of 3 didn't make the team, but Miller is a solid choice as our starting FB. So in his case I think he was an A or at least a B.

Maddog gets a F for his evaluation of the 2011 draft. He gave the Niners a C-. Sorry but any draft that got Kaep and Aldon Smith is an A+. Two of the most dynamic and explosive young players in the NFL right now.

Here is a copy of my 2011 draft that was in a draft redo thread:
1- JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin Simply the best player on the board at the time. Since Franklin appears to be leaving, moving Soap to NT would necessitate a new DE to take over right away.
 2- Rodney Hudson, G/C, Florida State I think Hudson is the best OL in the entire draft, and is a starter at guard or center.
 3- Curtis Brown, CB, Texas The team needs a cover corner, and Brown has size and speed. 
4- Jordan Todman, RB, UConn I graded Todman just slightly over Hunter, who I really like as well. Both are great value picks at this point. 
4- Marcus Cannon, G, TCU Since the Niners have a second fourth rounder, this can be a luxury pick. I'd burn it on a risk. Cannon is a starter at guard some time in the future if he can survive cancer and regain his strength. Worth the risk in the fourth round.
 5- Tyrod Taylor, QB, Virginia Tech The Niners need QB depth, and while no one expects Taylor to be a future starter, he can be a solid backup if the starter goes down for a short time. 
6- Charles Clay, FB, Tulsa A FB who can run and catch the ball. Sounds like a WCO fullback to me. 
6- Justin Rogers, CB, Richmond Team needs a second corner in this draft, and Rogers had a terrific career and offseason. 
6- Jerrell Powe, NT, Mississippi Simply a backup, toilet clogger. Every 3-4 team needs one.
 7- Ugo Chinasa, OLB, Oklahoma St Was not drafted, but a quick, strong guy who could develop into a nice role player
. 7- Jeron Johnson, S, Boise St Also not drafted, but a talented, fast guy who has a ton of experience. 
7- Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio St Competition for Williams in the slot. Sanzenbacher was a seriously clutch WR for the Buckeyes. Cheers. [ Edited by MadDog49er on May 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM ] 
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/154846-you-could-redo-one-49ers-pick-would-take/#vrwqUZ324cIjUE6b.99

The only player not in the league after cuts is Chinasa.
1. Watt is a monster
2. Hudson starts at center for KC
3. Brown is a reserve CB but may be the best special teamer for the Steelers. Bit of a disappointment at CB
4. Todman backs up Drew-jones in Jax. Had a great preseason
4. Cannon fighting for starting RG spot with NE
5. Taylor backs up Flacco for Balt
6. Clay starting TE for Dolphins
6. Rogers might start for Buffalo in Week one at CB
6. Powe is reserve DT
7. Chinasa out of league
7. Johnson top reserve safety for Seahawks and special teams star
7. Sanzenbacher made the cut for the Bengals at WR.

Ve

Excellent overall draft class (might have 4 or 5 opening day starters this year) with depth (5 of my 6 players in the 6th and 7th rounders still in the league and on a 53 man roster...this is nearly impossible in year 3) made spectacular with Watt, who may be the best player in the game. Baalke had a great draft. People can debate which group they like better, although it is still early in everyone's career to make a final grade.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Maddog gets a F for his evaluation of the 2011 draft. He gave the Niners a C-. Sorry but any draft that got Kaep and Aldon Smith is an A+. Two of the most dynamic and explosive young players in the NFL right now.

Already been down this road before. Old news.

At the 2 most important positions in football we secured what potentially become one of the very best QBs and the premier pass rusher. Awesome!!

Would you take my 2012 draft class over Baalke's?
Share 49ersWebzone