LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

If you could redo one of the 49ers pick who would you take.

I went back and watched some film on the entire 49ers draft picks.
I must admit I like what I saw from most of the picks except from one player
C. Culiver. At 1st I thought A. Smith was a bad pick because R. Quinn was still there but when watching the NFL Scouting Combine. I noticed that the 49ers DL coach and LB coach ran the DL drills at the Combine and for them to take Smith over Quinn l think they saw something they liked better in Smith.
As far as Culliver I did not see what they saw and so comes my point to redo this pick.
This is what I think the 49ers should have done instead of picking Culliver.

1 OLB A. Smith
2 QB C. Kaepernick
3 WR L. Hankerson
4 RB K. Hunter
5 OG D. Kilgore
6 CB C. Rucker
7 FB B. Miller
7 OG M. Person
7 CB C. Holcomb
Also with picking Hankerson I lost the 6th draft pick for C. Jones because I did not trade down with Jack. in the 3rd round.
[ Edited by Ice49er on May 21, 2011 at 8:56 AM ]
Originally posted by Ice49er:
C. Culiver. At 1st I thought A. Smith was a bad pick because R. Quinn was still there but when watching the NFL Scouting Combine. I noticed that the 49ers DL coach and LB coach ran the DL drills at the Combine and for them to take Smith over Quinn l think they saw something they liked better in Smith.
As far as Culliver I did not see what they saw and so comes my point to redo this pick.

1 OLB A. Smith
2 QB C. Kaepernick
3 WR L. Hankerson
4 RB K. Hunter
5 OG D. Kilgore
6 CB C. Rucker
7 FB B. Miller
7 OG M. Person
7 CB C. Holcomb
Also with picking Hankerson I lost the 6th draft pick for C. Jones because I did not trade down with Jack. in the 3rd round.

I agree.

1 OLB A. Smith
2 QB C. Kaepernick
3 WR L. Hankerson
4 RB K. Hunter
5 OG D. Kilgore
6 CB C. Rucker
7 FB B. Miller
7 OG M. Person
7 CB C. Holcomb

If we were going to take a WR in the 3rd round it should have been Greg Salas.....

1 OLB A. Smith
2 QB C. Kaepernick
3 WR L. Hankerson
4 RB K. Hunter
5 OG D. Kilgore
6 CB C. Rucker
7 FB B. Miller
7 OG M. Person
7 CB C. Holcomb

I think most people would probably change the Culliver pick...altho some people who still dont' know who Aldon Smith is may change the 1st pick.
You CANNOT say Hankerson in the culliver spot, because Hankerson was not on the draft board, he was selected by Washington ahead of the niners pick.

If you went WR I would go with Vincent Brown, San Diego State.
Originally posted by 9erred:
You CANNOT say Hankerson in the culliver spot, because Hankerson was not on the draft board, he was selected by Washington ahead of the niners pick.

Or Greg Salas...

I agree about Culliver being the pick I'd redo. If it were up to me, I'd have taken Johnny Patrick.

Now, I'm not going to say that my watching a few youtube movies makes me qualified to pick a good CB than our scouts are. But, I think a lot of the time our scouts focus more on height/weight/spead combos than college production. And I just don't agree with that. I think that strategy gets you a couple probowlers on a team full of holes. I'd rather have a solid team....
Acutally looking back over both players, i think quinn will be great in a 4-3 he's stiff and he's best with his hand in the dirt off the edge.

Smith on the other hand has more value. I noticed he straight up owns inside with the club, in a few years he might grow to be to big, and rather then talking about him playing olb, we will be talking about him having to be the De in the 3-4! I'd trade up for peterson still but im happy with smith, hell im happy it was a passrusher and defense this year and now we need another olb and a younger cb, hopefully bowman becomes good next to willis and we can replace Franklin now, justin soon and issac is pushing 30's!
I'd re-do all of the Niners picks. These are the players I would have selected based on my board and team need (unfortunately excluding trades...I would have moved up to select Peterson..even if the cost was high). In having no trades, note the extra selection. I would have bypassed selecting a QB early.

Also, I strictly go by a no-cheating clause that does not look at how far a specific player mysteriously fell and selecting him in a later round before the real team selection.

1- JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
Simply the best player on the board at the time. Since Franklin appears to be leaving, moving Soap to NT would necessitate a new DE to take over right away.

2- Rodney Hudson, G/C, Florida State
I think Hudson is the best OL in the entire draft, and is a starter at guard or center.

3- Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
The team needs a cover corner, and Brown has size and speed.

4- Jordan Todman, RB, UConn
I graded Todman just slightly over Hunter, who I really like as well. Both are great value picks at this point.

4- Marcus Cannon, G, TCU
Since the Niners have a second fourth rounder, this can be a luxury pick. I'd burn it on a risk. Cannon is a starter at guard some time in the future if he can survive cancer and regain his strength. Worth the risk in the fourth round.

5- Tyrod Taylor, QB, Virginia Tech
The Niners need QB depth, and while no one expects Taylor to be a future starter, he can be a solid backup if the starter goes down for a short time.

6- Charles Clay, FB, Tulsa
A FB who can run and catch the ball. Sounds like a WCO fullback to me.

6- Justin Rogers, CB, Richmond
Team needs a second corner in this draft, and Rogers had a terrific career and offseason.

6- Jerrell Powe, NT, Mississippi
Simply a backup, toilet clogger. Every 3-4 team needs one.

7- Ugo Chinasa, OLB, Oklahoma St
Was not drafted, but a quick, strong guy who could develop into a nice role player.

7- Jeron Johnson, S, Boise St
Also not drafted, but a talented, fast guy who has a ton of experience.

7- Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio St
Competition for Williams in the slot. Sanzenbacher was a seriously clutch WR for the Buckeyes.

Cheers.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM ]
NT, Kendrick Ellis, in the 3rd. We get our franchise NT and we could patch up the secondary in free agency.

I hope Culliver becomes a great CB for us, but I think Goldson will walk and Culliver will eventually become our FS.

Yeah Hankerson was off the board by that time. Can't take a player that's not available.
Owen Marecic.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:

1 OLB A. Smith
2 QB C. Kaepernick
3 WR L. Hankerson
4 RB K. Hunter
5 OG D. Kilgore
6 CB C. Rucker
7 FB B. Miller
7 OG M. Person
7 CB C. Holcomb

Im in tears right now made my night
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Yeah Hankerson was off the board by that time. Can't take a player that's not available.

He meant if the niners had stayed put in the 3rd rather then trade down to 80th.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
as i film you mean youtube videos?
Share 49ersWebzone