There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Niners Draft Grade and Analysis

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think what you really want is an admission on camera or on audio tape from a Gm or GM's that they were: 1) actively attempting to trade down; 2) and at least to the 30th spot; before you believe that Baalke had this option. I think this option was available, but as stated, the GM's don't go around post-draft saying that they really wanted to move down but couldn't find a trade partner. It just doesn't happen.

I have already laid out the number of teams that did move down in the first round, have stated from my reading in the days before the draft that the bulk of teams in the first round wanted to move down (if you are skeptical, then you will have to do the research, otherwise trust that I understand the English language and that I am not making stories up).

You want undeniable proof that there was absolutely no option for the Niners to move up, that Cincinnati thought it was impossible to land their man at 30 if they traded back too far, that Cleveland had to stay at 22 (even though from all reports in nearby Cleveland that the target they wanted at 22 was gone at 20, which usually causes teams to trade back), that the Lions were in no way interested in moving down 7 slots to 30, and much more. I just don't buy the argument, based on following the draft for decades now, following information before, during, and after the draft, and what was happening in the first round, with the high number of trades. I sincerely doubt that Baalke's hands were tied, that he was stuck with that pick, and had no ability to go up and get DeCastro.

I think I remember something about Nolan going on record saying he tried to trade out of the first pick of the draft in 2005 and not having a trading partner.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I think I remember something about Nolan going on record saying he tried to trade out of the first pick of the draft in 2005 and not having a trading partner.

Yes but he was inexperienced and clearly wasn't head coach material. Harbaugh is confident in his system and won't throw a player under the bus saying, ya we didn't really want this guy but we didn't have a trade partner. Nolan was the first to make excuses for his losing like, oh there's no one we really wanted at the first pick but we couldn't trade down.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
Yes but he was inexperienced and clearly wasn't head coach material. Harbaugh is confident in his system and won't throw a player under the bus saying, ya we didn't really want this guy but we didn't have a trade partner. Nolan was the first to make excuses for his losing like, oh there's no one we really wanted at the first pick but we couldn't trade down.

I do not know all the other teams as well as I know the niners...but I would be willing to put money up on the fact that Nolan was not the first coach/GM to ever to suggest that they wanted to trade down but couldn't and took what they thought was the bpa.

Btw, I remember Nolan saying that there were no trade down opportunities a couple weeks after the draft.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:

The Dolphins wanted to move up. Nolan just didn't think what they were offering was enough.
I am glad we didn't take Fleener in the 1st. I was surprised they picked Jenkins but the more I see of him the more it grows on me. Everybody was saying they were going to pick Fleener I was just thinking how bad that would be to add another TE when what we really needed was a WR. I am happy with it and give them a B for that, an F is WAY to harsh.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I am glad we didn't take Fleener in the 1st. I was surprised they picked Jenkins but the more I see of him the more it grows on me. Everybody was saying they were going to pick Fleener I was just thinking how bad that would be to add another TE when what we really needed was a WR. I am happy with it and give them a B for that, an F is WAY to harsh.

Yup. Even if you think the players drafted were an F, at least give a D for the fantastic trading for future picks. We have a stockpile of draft picks next year which we don't even need...I think we are going to trade up next year to acquire a high end pick.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
MadDog, I tend to agree with most everything you say and hate to see people nitpick at your opinions.

Being the most raw, natural pass rusher in the draft I wanted Aldon Smith badly, but didn't see any way that we would draft him (given that he projected in the late teens to early 20's and many felt he was a better fit for a 4-3). I could still see where you were coming from in preferring JJ Watt as a better scheme fit, and safer pick.

Unfortunately, I also don't see the the value or the same elite ability in AJ Jenkins as I saw in Aldon Smith.

I believe that Balke is getting too cute with his selections in trying to look at specific elite traits in a player and projecting them as better players based on these measurable traits (trying the Billy Beane sabermetrics approach). Last year it was Aldon Smith and his unique arm length. This year it is AJ Jenkins and his hand size/arm length/40. Aldon Smith was a great prospect and a great natural pass rusher. His arms may have been an asset for doing this, but it was not his arm length in particular that made him the elite athlete that he is. He has violent hands, a high motor, can rush inside and out, and displayed such a natural ability to rush the passer. We hit a homerun on Aldon, I'm just afraid that we did it for the wrong reasons and that in hitting on Aldon Smith, this faulty approach is vindicated in Baalke's eyes.

If it was really explosion we were targeting we could have gotten this in spades with our later picks. I'm no expert, but am entitled to my opinion (as are all of us here). If I were the GM, my draft would have been as follows:

1) Cordy Glenn
2) Rueben Randle
4) Joe Adams (I would have traded out of the 3rd as well as there were too many good players at non-positions of need, but would have used the 4th round pick)
4) Josh Norman
5) Chris Rainey
6) Markelle Martin
6) David Molk
7) Cam Johnson

Time will tell which draft will be better, but I just don't see any level of ability that the 1st and 2nd day of Baalke's draft brings, that Day 3 of mine doesn't.

As far as 49er fans hyping up our picks. It is UNREAL. Colin Kaepernick being voted the best QB and Joe Looney being neck and neck with David Decastro is absurd.

If you could show me one "Joe Looney Bandwagon" thread or even mention leading up to the draft then I will rest my case. Looney, while a solid run blocker throughout college, looked terrible in one practice at the Senior Bowl and hurt his foot in the process. Decastro on the other hand has done nothing but dominate both in college, combine, and pro day. While Looney may very well end up a solid player and pick, what has changed between now and two weeks ago other than the fact that Looney was drafted by the 49ers? Any player can sound good in theory when you look at the height/weight/highlights, these are NFL players, and now that they are 49ers these 49er fans are trying so hard to make them into something that they're not.

I think threads like these should be bumped throughout the year. It will be interesting to see how everyone's preferred mocks turn out this season.
de castro de broke doe
Originally posted by bors:
de castro de broke doe

And was struggling prior to that.
Great analysis, but I do have a comment.

MD, you always seem to get fixated on a player for the first round. 2011, it was JJ Watt and this year Decastro. It seems as if we have the chance to land these players, but don't, the first round grade is a D or F.
this thread is still going.......
Lmao Maddog is Grant Cohn
Lol at slowey pick getting an A
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Totally agree, a small school player who probably would have been undrafted, to give that an A is very curious.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Totally agree, a small school player who probably would have been undrafted, to give that an A is very curious.

And he is already cut. Bong.