There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Reading the Tea Leaves on the AJ Jenkins pick

I think the AJ Jenkins selection has a few implications on how Baalke and Harbaugh view the current roster.

1. I think this is a huge vote of confidence for Dan Kilgore starting prospects this season. Baalke moved up for him in last year's draft, and Kilgore was a mauler in the preseason last year. We passed on a few great OL prospects, so Kilgore is now the presumed starter at RG. The only way this doesnt play out is if we trade way up in the early second round to get a OG, which seems very unlikely.

2. I think this selection also implies that Harbaugh has little faith in any of the WRs on the roster. And why should he? Harbaugh will continue to throw as many WRs he can in the mix, and whatever sticks is what he will run with. No WR is promised a starting role this upcoming season. Im starting to understand his preachings of "competition" and what it means to his coaching philosophy. Wouldnt be surprised if we draft another WR later in the draft.

3. I think it shows that Harbaugh and Baalke are highly confident in their abilities. They had determined the best player to draft in the slot where we were positioned, and were confident enough to place the name in an envelope the night before. Then, they also knew that the player would be available and they wouldnt have to move up to get him. They basically read the entire draft from the back of the line. They had their target identified and landed him.
also add the multiple TE and harbaugh vastly overrated

we will see a lot of 3 WR 1 TE sets next year
1 - Yes. I've been suspecting this for a while

2 - Disagree. I think Harbaugh is very happy with his WR Corps, but understands that Moss is on a 1-year contract, and Manningham and Williams aren't signed past 2013. Jenkins gives the 49ers every type of WR.

3 - I don't think it's as much confidence as it is that the 49ers - -and maybe the Rams and one other team too -- did a deeper evaluation of Jenkins. Baalke said they clocked him at 4.31 in the 40. If true, he's a top 20 pick if that's public information.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
also add the multiple TE and harbaugh vastly overrated

we will see a lot of 3 WR 1 TE sets next year

No. If Bo Schembechler and Bill Walsh's playbooks had a baby, it would be Harbaugh's offense. He wants to blend pure, black and blue power offense with the WCO -- that's his vision.

and it's working with multi-TE sets.

Note: Walker is not a Tight End - he's an H Back. And a marginal one at that.
I think Harbaugh and Baalke feel fine with the WR core right now. We have 3 quality WRs(Moss, Manningham and Crabs), a good returner(Ginn) and our new 1st rounder(Jenkins), it isnt perfect, not #1 guy, but it will do, as Vernon is our true #1 target.

I think it's a possibility that we select a OG in rd 2 or 3 tonight.
Last year I freaked out when the Niners didn't draft a NT. With Franklin leaving, there was no one really to fill that roll. Then they moved Soap over, and everything made sense. Maybe you're right about Kilgore. Maybe they don't feel RG is a need at all. Between Kilgore, Person, Boone, and Davis, maybe they figure they've got the RT and RG covered.

I do wonder about the OC position through. Right now we have Goodwin and Beeler. I have read speculation from several sources that Kilgore might move into the OC position, but giving him some time at RG first seems like a smart way to easy him in.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
also add the multiple TE and harbaugh vastly overrated

we will see a lot of 3 WR 1 TE sets next year


Originally posted by nickbradley:
1 - Yes. I've been suspecting this for a while

2 - Disagree. I think Harbaugh is very happy with his WR Corps, but understands that Moss is on a 1-year contract, and Manningham and Williams aren't signed past 2013. Jenkins gives the 49ers every type of WR.

3 - I don't think it's as much confidence as it is that the 49ers - -and maybe the Rams and one other team too -- did a deeper evaluation of Jenkins. Baalke said they clocked him at 4.31 in the 40. If true, he's a top 20 pick if that's public information.


Agree with Ninermaniac and disagree with you on point #2. While we have a decent corp of receivers they don't compliment Alex's skillset. Simply put we were VERY HUNGRY for a receiver that can get some quick separation. We all know Alex will not throw to a receiver unless they are open. Last year, Morgan and Crabs are good intermediate receivers who both take a while to get off the line. This works fine if Alex has time but often times he didn't. This is a recipe for poor 3rd down performance. Gotta convert 3rd downs to stay on the field.

Simple as that. AJ SHOULD help in this area.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Agree with Ninermaniac and disagree with you on point #2. While we have a decent corp of receivers they don't compliment Alex's skillset. Simply put we were VERY HUNGRY for a receiver that can get some quick separation. We all know Alex will not throw to a receiver unless they are open. Last year, Morgan and Crabs are good intermediate receivers who both take a while to get off the line. This works fine if Alex has time but often times he didn't. This is a recipe for poor 3rd down performance. Gotta convert 3rd downs to stay on the field.

Simple as that. AJ SHOULD help in this area.

That's an Alex Smith confidence problem. He believes in VD, and will thread the ball into a risky situation because they have chemistry. See: NFC Divisional Playoff Game

That rapport will develop with Crabtree if he ever attends camp, and Jenkins is such a hard worker that I think he'll do it too.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by pete98146:
Agree with Ninermaniac and disagree with you on point #2. While we have a decent corp of receivers they don't compliment Alex's skillset. Simply put we were VERY HUNGRY for a receiver that can get some quick separation. We all know Alex will not throw to a receiver unless they are open. Last year, Morgan and Crabs are good intermediate receivers who both take a while to get off the line. This works fine if Alex has time but often times he didn't. This is a recipe for poor 3rd down performance. Gotta convert 3rd downs to stay on the field.

Simple as that. AJ SHOULD help in this area.

That's an Alex Smith confidence problem. He believes in VD, and will thread the ball into a risky situation because they have chemistry. See: NFC Divisional Playoff Game

That rapport will develop with Crabtree if he ever attends camp, and Jenkins is such a hard worker that I think he'll do it too.

I totally agree with this. Alex's issue is not just accuracy. I've seen him thread the needle, at times. I think his issue is trust in receivers and confidence in himself. I think last years lock out had an impact on him. I know he organized some workouts, but more time with his receivers in a full off-season will hopefully help him take that next step.

My biggest hope for this years draft was to improve 3rd down and redzone production. Anything that addresses that is right on target IMHO.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,388
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I think the AJ Jenkins selection has a few implications on how Baalke and Harbaugh view the current roster.

1. I think this is a huge vote of confidence for Dan Kilgore starting prospects this season. Baalke moved up for him in last year's draft, and Kilgore was a mauler in the preseason last year. We passed on a few great OL prospects, so Kilgore is now the presumed starter at RG. The only way this doesnt play out is if we trade way up in the early second round to get a OG, which seems very unlikely.

2. I think this selection also implies that Harbaugh has little faith in any of the WRs on the roster. And why should he? Harbaugh will continue to throw as many WRs he can in the mix, and whatever sticks is what he will run with. No WR is promised a starting role this upcoming season. Im starting to understand his preachings of "competition" and what it means to his coaching philosophy. Wouldnt be surprised if we draft another WR later in the draft.

3. I think it shows that Harbaugh and Baalke are highly confident in their abilities. They had determined the best player to draft in the slot where we were positioned, and were confident enough to place the name in an envelope the night before. Then, they also knew that the player would be available and they wouldnt have to move up to get him. They basically read the entire draft from the back of the line. They had their target identified and landed him.

Here's my analysis of the Browns after the Trent Richardson pick...

1. Colt McCoy must be ecstatic. He finally has a running game. Go Browns.

2. Clearly this is a sign that Colt McCoy is the QB of the future because the Browns didn't take Tannehill.

Then pick 22 comes...


maybe we should just wait until the end of the draft....
Does not mean anything for kilgore

Harbaalke could target a guy in later rounds they feel is better than kilgore.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,144
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I think Harbaugh and Baalke feel fine with the WR core right now. We have 3 quality WRs(Moss, Manningham and Crabs), a good returner(Ginn) and our new 1st rounder(Jenkins), it isnt perfect, not #1 guy, but it will do, as Vernon is our true #1 target.

I think it's a possibility that we select a OG in rd 2 or 3 tonight.

I am not sure that we really do have three quality wide receivers.

I am not saying that we do not, but I really want to see them in action before bestowing any accolades.

In the same vain, I will wait until A.J. plays before deciding how good is, or can be.

Although, I also do not think he is perfect, but then who is.
"Jenkins capped his college career with a 90-reception, 1,276-yard season that included eight touchdowns as a senior. What made Jenkins' final season more remarkable is that Illinois had a less-than prolific passing game. Jenkins accounted for more than half of the team's passing game. The Illini threw for only 2,392 yards and 14 touchdowns on the season."

Jenkins had more than HALF of the receiving yards for his offense that's pretty sick and his QB is nowhere near some of the top Qb's in college. That bodes well for us. Also his college coach said that Jenkins had a broken jaw and hurt his wrist during the season so the guy can get bigger and put up even better numbers.

As far as the niners not liking their receivers.....I think you just have too many question marks. Does Randy want to play and how is going to fit in? I like Mario Mannningham but is he a number 1, and is crabtree a 1, Ted Ginn has some issues at WR and doesn't run the best routes (but he's getting better, he and Alex fell into a good rythm last year, and Kyle Williams is a guy that probably will never get a shot at PR so he has to step up his game. Do I need to mention Brett Swain? Yes the Niners have issues with their receivers.

Jenkins will push everyone and COMPETE (Baalke and Harbaugh's favorite word) and great for the team. I think we still might draft another target like a TE or WR late.

As far as Kilgore goes....I'm hoping that's what the Niners are thinking that he is going to compete with Boone and Person. They talked about Person moving to guard before that found that they liked him at tackle. The Niners still may draft a lineman but I'm hoping they go Corner, Safety, TE, in any order. We are thin at Safety and probably OLB, but they can really go anywhere because our team is fairly deep or a better way to put it is that we don't have any big holes on the team. They made even trade up for Konz a center. Who knows.

I am hoping that Kilgore is something special. He pulls well. He is versatile, but I think he can do a good job on the line. I hope they give him a shot.

Looking forward to day 2.

ON A SIDE NOTE, I DONT LIKE THE 3 DAY DRAFT. I know it won't go back to that format, but for the fan it's a better experience. I felt really jonesing for more rounds last night.
[ Edited by Oldschool9erfan on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM ]
Author of thread did not mention Alex Boone, who will get a shot at the guard position as well.
Originally posted by RKab:
Here's my analysis of the Browns after the Trent Richardson pick...

1. Colt McCoy must be ecstatic. He finally has a running game. Go Browns.

2. Clearly this is a sign that Colt McCoy is the QB of the future because the Browns didn't take Tannehill.

Then pick 22 comes...


maybe we should just wait until the end of the draft....

not a fan of drafting 29 year old QBs in the first round...