There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bruce Irvin first round promise?

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Bruce Irvin, Alshon Jeffrey, and a 3rd round OG. Call it a day.

Bruce Irvin, Best WR or CB Available at #61, and a 3rd round OG. Call it a day.

So you kept the 4ths then? I saw a mock today with Jenkins still available at #61. Irvin, Jenkins, OG, Turbin, Streeter?
For the record "promises" like this are nothing.

The only team that can promise anything are the Colts because they can pick whoever they want.

A team picking at the bottom of the first round cannot promise anyone anything at least not with any certainty. The 49ers for instance told several players last year they were going to draft them in the 7th round. They didn't.

I know this because one of those guys had a friend who posts on another message board I frequent and he mentioned how his friend got a call from the niners telling him he was going to be their pick. Obviously they went in another direction.

A team could have good intentions but next thing they know they see a guy who drops to them and change their mind. Why would they ever tell a kid he was going to be drafted when they have no idea how the draft board will shake out by then?

I call BS.
So you kept the 4ths then? I saw a mock today with Jenkins still available at #61. Irvin, Jenkins, OG, Turbin, Streeter?

I want a CB in the first three rounds -- I like Jenkins with the right 'management' plan for his personal life, Love Josh robinson, and I think Boykin is a sleeper.

Love Streeter in the 4th or 5th to groom behind moss
Baalke is WAY too smart to promise anything in the draft process.
Damn, Just finished watching some highlights from Irvin. And he has an exceptional first step and sick change of direction.

Hes small though. I'm guessing that if he were 6'3 255, he would be a top 15 pick. But his slight frame is what has dropped him on many teams draft boards.

But you can't deny this kids ability to explode off the edge. His first step is right there with Von Miller. His ability to dip and bend is right there with Miller. The only thing Miller looks way better at is his ability to play the pass and the run both effectively. But just like Miller, he gets off the line so quick that when he turns it back inside the tackle is helpless in trying to keep him infront of him.

Sign me up as happy if hes the pick at #30, or if we trade back and can still snag him.

Guys with his first step don't bust in the NFL. He will be a premier pass rusher by his 2nd season.

Goddamn! Imagine trying to stop Aldon, Justin and Irvin.
I think Irvin will go earlier than what people expect. I orginally had him going in the 3rd but no way he lasts that long now. Dude is still learning about rushing the passer and teams have placed a high ceiling on him.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Damn, Just finished watching some highlights from Irvin. And he has an exceptional first step and sick change of direction.

Hes small though. I'm guessing that if he were 6'3 255, he would be a top 15 pick. But his slight frame is what has dropped him on many teams draft boards.

But you can't deny this kids ability to explode off the edge. His first step is right there with Von Miller. His ability to dip and bend is right there with Miller. The only thing Miller looks way better at is his ability to play the pass and the run both effectively. But just like Miller, he gets off the line so quick that when he turns it back inside the tackle is helpless in trying to keep him infront of him.

Sign me up as happy if hes the pick at #30, or if we trade back and can still snag him.

Guys with his first step don't bust in the NFL. He will be a premier pass rusher by his 2nd season.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if we got him. He finds his center quickly after changing direction and like Aldon, is rarely on the ground along with closing the distance real quick once he sees the path to the QB. He's not small. He's only 10 pounds off of standard size. 10lbs is very easy to gain.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM ]

he could put on 10lbs on good weight in a year
Originally posted by miked1978:
I think Irvin will go earlier than what people expect. I orginally had him going in the 3rd but no way he lasts that long now. Dude is still learning about rushing the passer and teams have placed a high ceiling on him.

I tend to agree with you. Unless teams really worry about his slight frame, there is no way GM's are passing on this kids ability to get to the QB.

I really didn't pay any attention to this guy until i heard we might have promised to take him. But my initial reaction to his highlights were
"Von Miller 2.0"

I just can't see these 3-4 teams infront of us passing on him. NYJ, NE, GB or BAL will most likely grab him.
Originally posted by miked1978:

I tend to agree with you. Unless teams really worry about his slight frame, there is no way GM's are passing on this kids ability to get to the QB.

I really didn't pay any attention to this guy until i heard we might have promised to take him. But my initial reaction to his highlights were
"Von Miller 2.0"

I just can't see these 3-4 teams infront of us passing on him. NYJ, NE, GB or BAL will most likely grab him.

he has never been looked at that high....his name is gaining steam today.
Originally posted by jreff22:

That makes me worry even more now if he will fall to us. Seems like no one wanted this little secret getting out.
Originally posted by jreff22:

That makes me worry even more now if he will fall to us. Seems like no one wanted this little secret getting out.

I had this kid in both my mocks so I get the upside argument. Because of the off field issues and low football IQ I have a hard time seeing him go before much more polished guys. This is probably a lot of hype that will fizzle out in a few hours. If anything he could go higher in the 2nd then I had thought.
Ill be happy with the majority of OLB's slated to go in the first whether its Irvin, McClellin, or Upshaw if he somehow falls that far. We need another stud OLB to keep this defense elite, and rotations fresh... and it ain't gonna be Parys. The only time Parys should ever be on the field is on obvious running downs when Aldon or Brooks needs a breather, lord help us if either of them miss any more playing time than that.

IMO these rumors are a big smoke screen... basically it tells other teams "watch out for us at 30 because we are gonna make a bit of a reach on a player." So any team in the top of the second eyeing a particular player may be influenced to make a trade up if they think it's our guy, or the flip side is that teams may call the niners asking if our guy is still there and if we want to pick him a couple spots later. Either way, it creates more activity around our draft slot and more positioning opportunity to take adavantage of.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Bruce Irvin, Alshon Jeffrey, and a 3rd round OG. Call it a day.

Bruce Irvin, Best WR or CB Available at #61, and a 3rd round OG. Call it a day.

i wouldn't mind at all if it went down like this if we traded down and drafted:

irvin
jenkins
DL
A.J Jenkins

all in the first three rounds.
One Trick ponies like Irvin wont go in the 1st round. He's good at his one trick (speed edge rusher) tho