There are 220 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 253 Final Board

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If they wanted DeCastro they would have gotten him. Baalke even said they had an oppourtunity to move up, but decided not to. Not sure what else you need to hear?

And that is the disappointing part to me. In a few years, we will probably be talking about how DeCastro is making the future non-existent ProBowl team (I have no idea how they will honor these guys down the road), and how Jenkins is a good number two receiver. Just a lost opportunity for a player that could have really impacted our team for a decade.
Maybe, but that's the breaks. Its also possible they felt very good about another target or a guy on the squad. Do you think you or any other team/scout knows more about DeCastro than Harbs? Seriously.

Anyway, its also possible Jenkins becomes the game breaking Wr we need to keep teams from stacking the line. Who do you cover, Davis/Moss or Jenkins. Sounds like teams will have to run a tampa 2 and get beat by our run team or Crabs underneath.
Originally posted by Amir:
Maybe Baalke and the scouts don't value DeCastro as high as you. You know, the REAL experts who actually watch the REAL scouting tape and practices that are not available to everyday wannabe gm's. #justsayin

Maybe. However, the Steelers are pretty good at scouting OL, and they seemed to like him a lot at 24. And, last time I checked, the Steelers are a real football team with real experts who watch real tape and practices.
Maybe, but that's the breaks. Its also possible they felt very good about another target or a guy on the squad. Do you think you or any other team/scout knows more about DeCastro than Harbs? Seriously.

Anyway, its also possible Jenkins becomes the game breaking Wr we need to keep teams from stacking the line. Who do you cover, Davis/Moss or Jenkins. Sounds like teams will have to run a tampa 2 and get beat by our run team or Crabs underneath.

And, that is the beauty of the draft. Nobody knows the outcome. However, I think we missed a golden opportunity. Nobody should take anything too seriously. It is an inexact science. However, it is good to passionately defend your reasoning and how you would approach the draft. That is what I do.

And, that is the beauty of the draft. Nobody knows the outcome. However, I think we missed a golden opportunity. Nobody should take anything too seriously. It is an inexact science. However, it is good to passionately defend your reasoning and how you would approach the draft. That is what I do.

Right on.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Jenkins was the 7th WR on my board, and I had him graded as an early-mid 2nd round grade (37th overall best player). However, the Niners really lost a golden opportunity to move up and select David DeCastro who I feel is one of the best players in the draft, a Pro Bowl type of talent. Unless DeCastro has medical issues that the team felt were a major problem down the road, they really have a player with far less talent on their roster than one that would have cost a 4th this year and next year. After NE drafted at 21 and selected Jones, I felt that the team should have made a move before the Steelers, Texans and Bengals were on the board, as they all needed interior OL help.

The Eagles really showed the Niners how to move up at the right time to get their player, waiting for Cox to slide and then pounce all over him. Now, the Seahawks and Cards may have passed on Cox, but the Eagles, after being patient, did not take a chance. The price was small and they got their man. In the same way, the price of DeCastro wold have been relatively small, but the return phenomenal. I will write more in depth about this later in the draft weekend. Lost opportunity.

To get back to Jenkins, I really like hm and saw good second round value. He will not produce much in 2012, but has the chance to be a solid number two receiver in the league. I do not see star, but a steady producer, who runs good routes, find open seams, has some wiggle to him. Very good intermediate route receiver. Once again, my grade will not reflect him as much as the value of other players who could have helped the team more.
Thanks for the feedback on this. I am curious if the 49ers didn't trade up, but chose the BPA at 30, what would you have done?

No doubt....I have to admit I was shocked we didn't trade up for DeCastro.....I think the front office was being too cute. The WR class is deep...no need to take one in the first. JMO...but I really liked Tommy Streeter.....oh well.
Originally posted by fryet:
Thanks for the feedback on this. I am curious if the 49ers didn't trade up, but chose the BPA at 30, what would you have done?

On my 49ers Best Available Board, which is in another thread, I have the team selecting Wisconsin center Peter Konz, or the next player on my board, Cordy Glenn of Georgia. Either one would be a significant long term upgrade to the team.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
No doubt....I have to admit I was shocked we didn't trade up for DeCastro.....I think the front office was being too cute. The WR class is deep...no need to take one in the first. JMO...but I really liked Tommy Streeter.....oh well.
They must have known that after the long run on defensive players (from picks 6 to 21 there were only three offensive players selected...Tannehill, Floyd, Wright), that OL were going to go quickly with Detroit, Pittsburgh, Houston and the Bengals second pick at 27. So, either they took a giant gamble thinking he would slide all the way through, or didn't have a very high grade on him, or simply didn't value the position with the pick.

Any way you slice it, I think it was an error in judgment.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
They must have known that after the long run on defensive players (from picks 6 to 21 there were only three offensive players selected...Tannehill, Floyd, Wright), that OL were going to go quickly with Detroit, Pittsburgh, Houston and the Bengals second pick at 27. So, either they took a giant gamble thinking he would slide all the way through, or didn't have a very high grade on him, or simply didn't value the position with the pick.

Any way you slice it, I think it was an error in judgment.

Just like with Fleener, there is no one that knows DeCastro more than Harbaugh among NFL execs. I just dont think he was SUPER high on the guy and quite frankly most teams weren't either. Lots of teams could have moved up to grab DeCastro but no one did. Wouldnt it be fun to know if the Niners would have taken him at 30 if he had been there. We will never know. I also think they rate Kilgore much higher than most.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Just like with Fleener, there is no one that knows DeCastro more than Harbaugh among NFL execs. I just dont think he was SUPER high on the guy and quite frankly most teams weren't either. Lots of teams could have moved up to grab DeCastro but no one did. Wouldnt it be fun to know if the Niners would have taken him at 30 if he had been there. We will never know. I also think they rate Kilgore much higher than most.

I'm not so sure teams were looking at best player available. It seems to me that this draft, more than any other I have seen in a long time, was almost exclusively a first round need driven draft.

I mean, ask the top analysts who is a better football player, Shea McClellin or David DeCastro. I don't think the vote would be close. Yet, so many of these teams really went to fill holes, but did not select the best player available.

I have been doing a search to see the pre-draft rankings of players in the draft. Very interesting where DeCastro graded out for many of these publications run by former scouts, head coaches, GM's and more.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I'm not so sure teams were looking at best player available. It seems to me that this draft, more than any other I have seen in a long time, was almost exclusively a first round need driven draft.

I mean, ask the top analysts who is a better football player, Shea McClellin or David DeCastro. I don't think the vote would be close. Yet, so many of these teams really went to fill holes, but did not select the best player available.

I have been doing a search to see the pre-draft rankings of players in the draft. Very interesting where DeCastro graded out for many of these publications run by former scouts, head coaches, GM's and more.

I think it's possible. To continue on that point, there is some merit to the idea that there may be a movement or shift in draft philosophy to teams putting higher value on a compound of schematic fit and positional need rather than raw talent that they try to mold and "force-fit" in a way to the team.

However, I really cannot say for sure that any of that is happening. It seems that way, but too much uncertainty for me to say that right now.
Final results on total number of drafted players in the 2012 NFL Draft

1. MadDog49er-199
2. Walter Football- 198
3. OTC- 197 (please double-check)
4. Chad Reuter- NFL.com- 197
5. GBN Report- 196
6. DraftSite.com-186
7. Wes Bunting- National Football Post- 182
8. Peter Schrager- Fox Sports.com- 176

If someone has access to Scouts, Inc./Todd McShay's for pay ESPN 7-rounder, I'd love to hear their result. The same goes for Ourlads.
Cheers.

49ers draft analysis tomorrow: Sneak Preview: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
So MadDog, when are you gonna be taking Trent Baalke's job again?
Final results on total number of drafted players in the 2012 NFL Draft

1. MadDog49er-199
2. Walter Football- 198
3. OTC- 197 (please double-check)
4. Chad Reuter- NFL.com- 197
5. GBN Report- 196
6. DraftSite.com-186
7. Wes Bunting- National Football Post- 182
8. Peter Schrager- Fox Sports.com- 176

If someone has access to Scouts, Inc./Todd McShay's for pay ESPN 7-rounder, I'd love to hear their result. The same goes for Ourlads.
Cheers.

49ers draft analysis tomorrow: Sneak Preview: "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"

197 is right, MD. I counted earlier. I consider it a colossal failure on my part because I pulled four players off the board the day of the draft that would have kept me at my minimum goal of 200. But Congrats MadDog! You win fair and square and are the new Draft King this year! I knew late in the draft I didn't think I could pull it off this time. While I did not hit my percentage goals, I am very pleased with my slot accuracy. I hit multiple players on the exact slot or within one or two picks. I think it was an incredibly tough year for everyone, so many surprises and a lot less "value picks" than expected. But overall still so much fun and it'll be exciting to see how these players pan out.

Cheers.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM ]
Congrats, MD.... I had your list up for the past 3 days as a reference. Very helpful.

Thanks to you and OTC for all of your hard work....and obviously, you both did a superb job

Cheers!
Share 49ersWebzone