LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

MadDog's 49ers Best Player Available Board

Hey Maddog, could you give us your grading of the TEs in context of the Niners needs and styles?
Fleener will be this year's MD "there was a better pick" rant.
Originally posted by hofer36:
do you think that silatolu could play left tackle in the nfl? i know niners would view him as a guard but he would have added value as a potential backup at left tackle too

i know his 6-3 height works against him playing left tackle, but he moves his feet well and when i watched the tape barrows posted on him he reminded me a bit of derrek deese
Originally posted by Joecool:

Maybe. One thing for sure is that if Fleener is on the board a 30 and the team passes, the Webzone will be in complete meltdown mode.
  • dj43
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
do you think that silatolu could play left tackle in the nfl? i know niners would view him as a guard but he would have added value as a potential backup at left tackle too

i know his 6-3 height works against him playing left tackle, but he moves his feet well and when i watched the tape barrows posted on him he reminded me a bit of derrek deese

Maybe. One thing for sure is that if Fleener is on the board a 30 and the team passes, the Webzone will be in complete meltdown mode.

neh, only about 60% of it. The rest will just get spattered by the ooze.
Originally posted by dj43:

Or we will go back to our sides in the Alex Smith thread and say he has no weapons or needs to make his current targets better.
  • dj43

Or we will go back to our sides in the Alex Smith thread and say he has no weapons or needs to make his current targets better.

I now have a headache. Thanks Joe.

well maiocco did say on the niners draft preview show on comcast that the niners receivers corp in the nfc championship game was junior high level
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Hey Maddog, could you give us your grading of the TEs in context of the Niners needs and styles?

I see a real problem with this crop of TE's based on the Niners' system. The Niners system is based on the run game and they require their TEs to block. None of the top TEs are great blockers. Coby Fleener who is a terrific downfield receiver was more a WR in Stanford's system due to a lack of talent at WR. The Niners want to throw about 20-24 times a game, and that is not a high enough percentage, in my opinion, to warrant a player who is one dimensional at this point. The same goes for Allen, Charles, Green, Agnew and the other top TEs who are deficient in blocking
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

I see a real problem with this crop of TE's based on the Niners' system. The Niners system is based on the run game and they require their TEs to block. None of the top TEs are great blockers. Coby Fleener who is a terrific downfield receiver was more a WR in Stanford's system due to a lack of talent at WR. The Niners want to throw about 20-24 times a game, and that is not a high enough percentage, in my opinion, to warrant a player who is one dimensional at this point. The same goes for Allen, Charles, Green, Agnew and the other top TEs who are deficient in blocking

This. I don't think a TE is essential to our superbowl run nor does it benefit us in the future. We have other areas where we do not have elite play makers already and we need to fill up those spots. Think if we lucked out with a baller ass WR or a CB. We'd be set for awhile. And if Fleener pans out, we have two elite TEs? Not enough for a SB.
He doesn't really have any relevance to the Niners, but how low you rank Kalil raises an eyebrow. The vast majority have him as the top OL and top 10, and you've got him 24th, and 5th among OL after a bunch of guards.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:54 AM ]

• DVDA
  • Veteran
How do you feel about Trumaine Johnson fitting into the 49ers system?
Can we consider my friend Josh Kaddu? :)
MD- glad to see you have moved W. Mercilus up quite a bit from your last board. Im telling you this kid is gonna be good.
Also, hate to see Branch rated so high and believe you are overrating him pretty badly.
And where is Lamar Miller??? Kid is legit.
[ Edited by D-Money on Apr 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Based on this ranking AJ Jenkins was probably a half round reach. Let's hope Baalke knows what he is doing, but it doesn't sound like he has the build to be a #1 receiver, which is what you want in a first round WR. I wonder if he will even be able to get off the line with a physical corner? That is what killed us against NYG, I believe.
Originally posted by fryet:
Based on this ranking AJ Jenkins was probably a half round reach. Let's hope Baalke knows what he is doing, but it doesn't sound like he has the build to be a #1 receiver, which is what you want in a first round WR. I wonder if he will even be able to get off the line with a physical corner? That is what killed us against NYG, I believe.

Jenkins: Jason Hill or Torry Holt? That will be determined.
Share 49ersWebzone