LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

MadDog's 49ers Best Player Available Board

Originally posted by Amir:
Who's grades higher, Peterson last year or Claiborne this year?

peterson on upside and potential

claiborne for nfl ready

but peterson looks great he was a shut down CB at the end of last year
Wow good job man.
I'm not a huge fan of Quinton Coples, as I've probably mentioned before, but why is he so low on the 49ers draft board? Seems to be that he could be a beast as a 3-4 DE.
MadDog, this is so helpful and intriguing. I really enjoy viewing a closer look into how the Niners draft board might stack up.

Can you tell me your thoughts on the two small(er) school guards and what you like/hate about them?

Silatolu vs Brooks?
Thanks Mad Dog, this list was really helpful. Why do you not have Poe on the list?
Originally posted by dhp318:
I'm not a huge fan of Quinton Coples, as I've probably mentioned before, but why is he so low on the 49ers draft board? Seems to be that he could be a beast as a 3-4 DE.

Not a natural position for him. Would need to gain about 15 pounds and learn to shed blockers better in the run game. Best suited as a 4-3 DE, but does have value in the 3-4. Just not as much. On my NFL best graded board, I have considerably higher.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Interested in some of the WRs. Why do you have Sanu higher on the 49ers board than Floyd? And why so down on Randle?

Both guys have a similar characteristics. Big, strong, and solid blockers, highly competitive. Floyd is naturally more gifted. However, in the end, I think it comes down to focus, and I believe Floyd's struggles in the past to curb bad behavior will haunt him again, and distract him from maximizing his abilities.

However, I wouldn't take the lower grade as a knock on him. It is simply my gut feeling that Sanu is going to be a really solid player in the NFL. He runs terrific routes, fights for the ball, has a huge catch radius, and hands like glue. The best blocking WR in the draft.

I see Sanu as being similar to Dwayne Bowe, minus the diva-esque tendencies. Sanu is the same height, 10 pounds lighter, and although he ran .10 slower than Bowe (combine time), outperformed him in nearly every other catagory.

I think you take on Floyd's struggles in the past is a bit harsh.

In contrast, I do not think that you place sufficient weight on the struggles that Janoris Jenkins has had.

My sense is that Floyd has turned the corner, and I do not think that Jenkins really thinks that he has problems.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Butter:
I'm surprised that Silatolu is ranked higher then Zeitler. Zeitler played in a bigger conference and appears to be a mauler. What makes Silatolu so much better?

Bigger upside, more athletic. Zeitler's ceiling is probably about reached. Silatolu is much higher.

I agree. It might take Silatolu some time, but he will be excellent. Zeitler will be good.
Originally posted by I-U-Porta-Poties:
MadDog, this is so helpful and intriguing. I really enjoy viewing a closer look into how the Niners draft board might stack up.

Can you tell me your thoughts on the two small(er) school guards and what you like/hate about them?

Silatolu vs Brooks?

Silatolu is brute force. Strong, violent, fights after the whistle. Kind of an old school mauler. More of a line scrimmage type of beast. Brooks is big and smooth. Pulls very well, squares up on linebackers extremely well in the second level. Better technician than Silatolu.

Brooks was the best player in the East-West shrine game, and I don't think it was close. Isolated him the whole game, and he was the star. If someone has it taped, please watch. Great week of practice and fantastic campus workout.
Originally posted by buck:
I think you take on Floyd's struggles in the past is a bit harsh.

In contrast, I do not think that you place sufficient weight on the struggles that Janoris Jenkins has had.

My sense is that Floyd has turned the corner, and I do not think that Jenkins really thinks that he has problems.

Each person makes their judgment on each player. Some feel that Floyd has an attitude problem that may affect his play in the future and this flaw may lead to more problems off the field. Jenkins was very open about past flaws at the combine. Tough call on any one of these players with past transgressions.

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Thanks Mad Dog, this list was really helpful. Why do you not have Poe on the list?

Don't think he warrants a first or second round grade. Great physical talent with low football IQ. Does not recognize plays well at all, ends up on the ground far too often. Mediocre football player.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Interested in some of the WRs. Why do you have Sanu higher on the 49ers board than Floyd? And why so down on Randle?

Both guys have a similar characteristics. Big, strong, and solid blockers, highly competitive. Floyd is naturally more gifted. However, in the end, I think it comes down to focus, and I believe Floyd's struggles in the past to curb bad behavior will haunt him again, and distract him from maximizing his abilities.

However, I wouldn't take the lower grade as a knock on him. It is simply my gut feeling that Sanu is going to be a really solid player in the NFL. He runs terrific routes, fights for the ball, has a huge catch radius, and hands like glue. The best blocking WR in the draft.

I see Sanu as being similar to Dwayne Bowe, minus the diva-esque tendencies. Sanu is the same height, 10 pounds lighter, and although he ran .10 slower than Bowe (combine time), outperformed him in nearly every other catagory.

I like Sanu too, but I worry that he wouldn't be a good fit with Alex Smith. We all know Alex doesn't like to make the throw unless there is some separation... and that wont be Sanu's strength. If we drafted him he would have to work with Alex a ton so that Alex develops confidence in Sanu's ability to fight for the ball and make the play.
EHY MD,
if you should bet who do you think 49ers will pick with their first 3 picks?

I'm really interested in your opinion.

Thanks
Silatolu is brute force. Strong, violent, fights after the whistle. Kind of an old school mauler. More of a line scrimmage type of beast. Brooks is big and smooth. Pulls very well, squares up on linebackers extremely well in the second level. Better technician than Silatolu.

Brooks was the best player in the East-West shrine game, and I don't think it was close. Isolated him the whole game, and he was the star. If someone has it taped, please watch. Great week of practice and fantastic campus workout.

do you think that silatolu could play left tackle in the nfl? i know niners would view him as a guard but he would have added value as a potential backup at left tackle too

i know his 6-3 height works against him playing left tackle, but he moves his feet well and when i watched the tape barrows posted on him he reminded me a bit of derrek deese
As much as I want to disagree with you, I think your board is probably pretty accurate. I have a few comments or constructive criticism.

Zeitler has moved up draft boards with some experts saying he is even in the DeCastro althletic range. Confusing to me how Konz could be rated just under DeCastro yet Zeitler is 30 spots lower??

Your obviously going mostly off need, as OT's who are a better players are ranked lower, yet you have Wagner LB at #14. With Willis/Bowman and Grant, I do not even see ean ILB. Wagner played inside and OLB in a 4-3 in college and more scouts think he would be suited as an ILB over OLB.

With your draft value board all I can say is the Niner need to trade down only a few spots into round 2, pick up another 3rd, then trade up into round two. The value this year is in round 2.

No way Sanu is ranked that high. If the Niners take Sanu over Fleener or Kendall Wright it would be a draft surprise story.
Share 49ersWebzone