There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Big 253 Board- April 18th Edition

Originally posted by SofaKing:
If Jenkins keeps his head on straight, he would be a heck of a good pick. There are not 29 players in this draft better than him IMO.

Agreed. He is the second corner on my board. Best technique of any corner in the draft
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
If Jenkins keeps his head on straight, he would be a heck of a good pick. There are not 29 players in this draft better than him IMO.

Agreed. He is the second corner on my board. Best technique of any corner in the draft

To add some more to your argument, the 49ers are in somewhat of a short-term mode now. Meaning going deep into the playoffs is a legit outcome for the team. If you look at the 9ers schedule this year (GB, DET, NE, NO, and NY), these are all teams that love to fling the ball around the field. Having a guy like Jenkins will pay dividends early as well as long term.

Guard is an option, but I feel guard is a position which can be had later in the draft. Guys like Jenkins won't be available.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
If Jenkins keeps his head on straight, he would be a heck of a good pick. There are not 29 players in this draft better than him IMO.

Agreed. He is the second corner on my board. Best technique of any corner in the draft

What's the chance he turns into the next Aquib Talib? Or Pacman Jones?
The nice thing is how the cap hit if a) Jenkins is selected at 30 and b) does pull a scarface, will no longer be so significant. I would rather take a player with talent with baggage at 30, than one year wonders like Balmer was when we picked him up at the end of the first.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
To add some more to your argument, the 49ers are in somewhat of a short-term mode now. Meaning going deep into the playoffs is a legit outcome for the team. If you look at the 9ers schedule this year (GB, DET, NE, NO, and NY), these are all teams that love to fling the ball around the field. Having a guy like Jenkins will pay dividends early as well as long term.

Guard is an option, but I feel guard is a position which can be had later in the draft. Guys like Jenkins won't be available.

Tend to agree that if you can grab a terrific corner early, don't wait. Appears that some rumors spread this week about Jenkins smoking pot at N Alabama may have been misinformation by a team to cause his stock to fall. Jenkins was forthcoming about personal issues in the past at the combine.

Guards can be found later. I really like Brooks as a late second round option, as well as Tony Bergstrom as a third day pick.
Originally posted by Butter:
What's the chance he turns into the next Aquib Talib? Or Pacman Jones?

Talib and Jones were flat out bad kids and I didn't even have them on my boards. I get a different feel from Jenkins. He appears to be contrite about his past, unlike the other two, who made excuses and didn't take personal responsibility.

There is no doubt that Jenkins is a risk.
MD, I noticed Hill looks like he slid a little bit, does that mean youve cooled off on him?

The more I watch of him the more I think he will be a big reach anywhere in the first. The lack of lateral agility worries me, along with how long it takes him to get to full stride. He'll have a great play here and there, but NFL CB's will eat him up for a couple years IMO until he gets his technique perfect. Granted that holds true to most rookies but Hill is a one trick pony in the passing game and wont get that trick down for awhile.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
To add some more to your argument, the 49ers are in somewhat of a short-term mode now. Meaning going deep into the playoffs is a legit outcome for the team. If you look at the 9ers schedule this year (GB, DET, NE, NO, and NY), these are all teams that love to fling the ball around the field. Having a guy like Jenkins will pay dividends early as well as long term.

Guard is an option, but I feel guard is a position which can be had later in the draft. Guys like Jenkins won't be available.

Tend to agree that if you can grab a terrific corner early, don't wait. Appears that some rumors spread this week about Jenkins smoking pot at N Alabama may have been misinformation by a team to cause his stock to fall. Jenkins was forthcoming about personal issues in the past at the combine.

Guards can be found later. I really like Brooks as a late second round option, as well as Tony Bergstrom as a third day pick.

I think it is precisely for this reason that Jenkins isn't going to fall too far. Unless there is some on-field talent issue I'm not aware of.
I really like Hill and project him as my number two WR. Speed, catch radius, blocking background. Still raw, but most WRs need a lot of retooling when they enter the NFL. Impressive cone drill time shows pretty good lateral agility in my opinion. 14 reps for a long armed receiver shows some strength.

Usually I am not smitten by measurables, but when WRs posts these outstanding measurables entering the draft,most tend to pan out. CAll me a sucker, but I think the kid is going to be really good. From footage of his Pro Day, I was really impressed. He looked sharp, crisp routes.

We will soon see.
I really like Hill and project him as my number two WR. Speed, catch radius, blocking background. Still raw, but most WRs need a lot of retooling when they enter the NFL. Impressive cone drill time shows pretty good lateral agility in my opinion. 14 reps for a long armed receiver shows some strength.

Usually I am not smitten by measurables, but when WRs posts these outstanding measurables entering the draft,most tend to pan out. CAll me a sucker, but I think the kid is going to be really good. From footage of his Pro Day, I was really impressed. He looked sharp, crisp routes.

We will soon see.

good kid as well. Will work his rear off.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
That clears things up for me on Fleener.

Jags trading down makes sense for them. Would Floyd be the target for the Hawks at that point? Jets definitely need the pass rusher in Ingram.

Don't think Floyd would be there, and to me, Kuechly fills a much bigger need. Plenty of WRs later on in draft, but only one stud MLB.

Seahawks are really thin at LB so that makes sense.
My picks based on your board:

1 - Janoris Jenkins, worth the risk
2 - Brandon Brooks, need an interior lineman
3 - Kirk Cousins, value pick here. I'm confident he will be at least a solid starter in the NFL with his arm and release, he just needs to develop. I'm a fan of Matthews so he is hard to pass up as I had him as my "sleeper" way early on this year, him against Boise State the previous year was eye opening. He made Kaep look like a stud
4 - Greg Childs, great size and great speed. IMO a development project though
5 - Kelcie McCray, I think he will be one of the best safeties out of a weak class
6 - Michael Brewster, I want a young center to develop to take over
7 - Markus Kuhn, 3-4 DE to develop
This is what I would do... based on that:

1st: Rueben Randle WR
2nd: Lamar Miller RB (trade up a few spots if needed)
3rd: Tyrone Crawford DE
4th: Tony Bergstrom OG
5th: Ron Brooks CB
6th: De'Quan Menzie S
7th: Chris Owusu WR
There are three positions I would not mind taking at 30 and that's TE, WR, or CB. These are positions, that if we get the right guy, will force Defenses to change from their comfort zones.

DON'T need a Guard (interior lineman) at this pick. Not worth it. Look at the success we have had selecting Guards in later rounds: Smiley, Snyder, possibly Kilgore, and all those other ones 6-8 years ago that went onto start on other teams after we didn't sign them.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Seahawks are really thin at LB so that makes sense.

Originally posted by Joecool:
There are three positions I would not mind taking at 30 and that's TE, WR, or CB. These are positions, that if we get the right guy, will force Defenses to change from their comfort zones.

DON'T need a Guard (interior lineman) at this pick. Not worth it. Look at the success we have had selecting Guards in later rounds: Smiley, Snyder, possibly Kilgore, and all those other ones 6-8 years ago that went onto start on other teams after we didn't sign them.

Smiley was an early 2nd round pick
Snyder was one of the 3 or 4 worst guards in the NFL last year
Kilgore has not played. How is he already a success story?
Who are these great guards that started on other teams after leaving here? Baas? Well, he was the 33rd overral pick. The one guy I can think of is Harvey Dahl.

Iupati- a first round pick- is the only good guard we've had in years