LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

Baalke's draft crush is Stephon Gilmore!

Character - check
Talent - check
Production - check
Work Ethic - check
Versatile - check
Originally posted by Johnster:
I know that both players are similar sized, and the same can be even said about Frank Gore but the Niners need to draft a RB.

The difference...
LaMichael is much faster than Hunter and Gore and a more natural north south runner than Hunter.
LaMichael was much more productive in college than Hunter, especially in his last year.
If Gore goes down (in an offense that is 60% based on running), LaMichael and Hunter can compete to fill in.
Bottom line, we need a quality backup RB more than we need a 3rd string backup TE (like Fleener, although he would be a great pick)

Fleener would take Walker's job on Day 1
I know that both players are similar sized, and the same can be even said about Frank Gore but the Niners need to draft a RB.

The difference...
LaMichael is much faster than Hunter and Gore and a more natural north south runner than Hunter.
LaMichael was much more productive in college than Hunter, especially in his last year.
If Gore goes down (in an offense that is 60% based on running), LaMichael and Hunter can compete to fill in.
Bottom line, we need a quality backup RB more than we need a 3rd string backup TE (like Fleener, although he would be a great pick)

Sorry Johnny, gotta disagree with you big time on that. James was great, but lets be honest, that hurry up dynamic O had a LOT to do with it. Im not saying James isn't a great runner, but if Gore goes down it will not be a James/Hunter show. WIth our power running style ( the one where Toby Gerhart nearly won a Heisman ), we need a between the tackles hammer, not another scat back. The 9ers struggled big time in short yardage situations and you know it HAD to drive Harbaugh crazy. I could see a Turbin or Martin who can take the pounding of 250 carries. James is way too light in the ass. The only RB in the league playing at a high level as a lead back his size is Chris Johnson. He def has the skills to be the next CJ2K, but Chris Johnson is a once in a generation type runner. It would be very risky to hang your hat on him turning into someone that good. If we didnt have Hunter already, Id be on board, but I think Kendal can do anything LJ can. Id pass
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Character - check
Talent - check
Production - check
Work Ethic - check
Versatile - check

Gilmore will be a 10-year NFL starter at CB and Safety due to his size, character, etc. --- I'm very high on Gilmore.

He might not ever be the bets CB in the league, but he'll be solid for a long long time
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Character - check
Talent - check
Production - check
Work Ethic - check
Versatile - check

We'd probably have to mortgage the farm to get him though. And it seems unlikely considering we just signed Rogers to a 4 year deal, but he could definitely give us great CBs!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
We'd probably have to mortgage the farm to get him though. And it seems unlikely considering we just signed Rogers to a 4 year deal, but he could definitely give us great CBs!

Yeah, Gilmore's been shooting up the draft boards.

I'd be willing to burn a 3rd rounder to trade up 5 or 6 spots for him.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Fleener would take Walker's job on Day 1

He might, but even Delanie has averaged only 1.5 catches per game! In six years he had 102 catches. Even last year, in the totally overstated multiple TE harbaugh system, he had only 19 catches in 15 games.

Kendall Hunter had 112 rushing attempts. A Backup RB is worth much more than a backup TE.

Gore has been hurt almost every season in the NFL and is approaching 30. Hunter is no different than Colin Kapernick and every 49er that must earn his job and will have to compete. If Gore goes down, it simply foolish to hope that Hunter can carry the offense because Alex Smith isn't.
He might, but even Delanie has averaged only 1.5 catches per game! In six years he had 102 catches. Even last year, in the totally overstated multiple TE harbaugh system, he had only 19 catches in 15 games.

Kendall Hunter had 112 rushing attempts. A Backup RB is worth much more than a backup TE.

Gore has been hurt almost every season in the NFL and is approaching 30. Hunter is no different than Colin Kapernick and every 49er that must earn his job and will have to compete. If Gore goes down, it simply foolish to hope that Hunter can carry the offense because Alex Smith isn't.

I understand your point, but if Gore goes down, its a Jacobs / Hunter split just like in NY with Bradshaw.

As far as Walker, I think your point makes getting Fleener even MORE important. This is TE centric offense, the WR plays a minor role. Go back and check the Stanford stats and the 9ers stats this year. How about a Fleener in the 1st, OG in the 2nd and Turbin in the 3rd? That's much better than jumping up early to draft James who's projected to go in the late 2nd early 3rd.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Sorry Johnny, gotta disagree with you big time on that. James was great, but lets be honest, that hurry up dynamic O had a LOT to do with it. Im not saying James isn't a great runner, but if Gore goes down it will not be a James/Hunter show. WIth our power running style ( the one where Toby Gerhart nearly won a Heisman ), we need a between the tackles hammer, not another scat back. The 9ers struggled big time in short yardage situations and you know it HAD to drive Harbaugh crazy. I could see a Turbin or Martin who can take the pounding of 250 carries. James is way too light in the ass. The only RB in the league playing at a high level as a lead back his size is Chris Johnson. He def has the skills to be the next CJ2K, but Chris Johnson is a once in a generation type runner. It would be very risky to hang your hat on him turning into someone that good. If we didnt have Hunter already, Id be on board, but I think Kendal can do anything LJ can. Id pass

I totally agree that the 49ers 3rd down efficiency sucked (ranked 30th in league) but blaming that on a lack of big RB is like blaming the lack of a 1000 yd receiver on the receivers (see Alex Smith etc.). The problem on our third efficiency was simply a lack of Oline play. Not all third downs are 3 and inches. Most are 3rd and 2-5 yards. A smaller back that can squeeze through small openings or catch a pass in the flat for 1st down converts more 3rd downs than a big hog RB. That is why the Ravens with Ray Rice are among the best in 3rd down conversion...
Baalke likes to think outside the box. I predict he'll trade picks 1 through 6 and stock pile 3/4ths of the 7th round draft picks.

Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I understand your point, but if Gore goes down, its a Jacobs / Hunter split just like in NY with Bradshaw.

As far as Walker, I think your point makes getting Fleener even MORE important. This is TE centric offense, the WR plays a minor role. Go back and check the Stanford stats and the 9ers stats this year. How about a Fleener in the 1st, OG in the 2nd and Turbin in the 3rd? That's much better than jumping up early to draft James who's projected to go in the late 2nd early 3rd.

By definition, this is a RB centered offense FIRST and a TE centered offense, way, way, second. I like Fleener but the only way he matters more during the season than a backup RB (who touches the ball 10+ times a game) is if Vernon Davis loses his job to him (not going to happen). At best, Fleener catches 25 balls this year if VD is healthy and 40 all season if VD gets hurt (a backup RB gets 40 touches in 3-4 games).
[ Edited by Johnster on Apr 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM ]
Personally, I hope he likes Vinny Curry or Quick. Based on mocks, they seem like solid value picks. Curry reminds me a little of Dumervil ands better suited for OLB anyway.
Originally posted by mayo49:
According to Grant Cohns reciever rankings he has Randle #2 behind Fleener.

2. Rueben Randle, LSU, 6-3, 212 lbs., split end. Randle's a big-play receiver who can win outside on short, intermediate and long routes. He ran a 4.43 at his Pro Day and averaged 16.8 yards per catch over his three-year career in the SEC. He's a similar prospect to Hakeem Nicks.

grant cohn hasnt a clue--he thinks jarious wright is better than michael floyd
By definition, this is a RB centered offense FIRST and a TE centered offense, way, way, second. I like Fleener but the only way he matters more during the season than a backup RB (who touches the ball 10+ times a game) is if Vernon Davis loses his job to him (not going to happen). At best, Fleener catches 25 balls this year if VD is healthy and 40 all season if VD gets hurt (a backup RB gets 40 touches in 3-4 games).

I disagree with pretty much this entire post. Fleener would have a significant role ~60 catches, and at ~12 yd/catch thats 720yds. A back-up running back in our system would probably notch 4.5yd/carry and 100 carries for ~450 yds.

The only major positive I see in drafting a RB early is we have our replacement in Gore in the wings. But honestly, in today's NFL, 2 elite TEs are more valuable that an elite RB.
Bill Walsh impressed the heck out of me a number of times, but it never was with the likes of ALL DONE. I didn't say much because honestly i had seen him a bit while watching a QB we were interested in. 14 sacks? My lord. And then there is the rest. It would be hard to duplicate that draft, because at #30, a lot of guys we could plug in at RG and WR will be adios. It will be interesting to see how they manage this, especially when they have the calculator at hand and don't overspend for FA guys, or picks. . Last yr Carlos Rogers was THE steal of the FA season. Whatever happens, I am saying nothing initially, because these guys, B& H, have got this wired, don't over bid, overspend, over trade. One season doesn't make a career, but is one helluva start.

I know the Kap fans won't like this, but I think he is our ticket to a pick substanially up the line. I think that is why we paid JJ what, $1mil? Whatever, everyone has taken a less vociferous tack this yr about what our guys will do, because they really went their own way last yr. Big deal will be how well they have evaluated guys in rd 2-6. I also expect WR available at every pick, and somewhere they will take a couple. Also look for a dozen or more WRs to show up here as WR UDFAs for awhile, just for a look see. My money is that they find 2, maybe 3 WRs, we as a group don't know much about. Coach is only 1 yr removed from college and has a leg up on collegiate talent here in the West, probably elsewhere. Look for 2 or 3 lower rd or UDFAs starting this yr. Sounds impossible, but....
Share 49ersWebzone