There are 174 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
He said it was someone they we're confident that would be there at 30. I dont see how Fleener or Hill could come to mind. My guess is Rueben Randle, I'd be confident he's gonna be there and they did a headquarters visit.

Rueben Randle at #30....
  • RKab
  • Veteran
I came here immediately upon reading that article looking for some speculation :-) I trust Baalke at this point but for the fun of it...

The initial impression would be that they like a player that they believe the rest of the experts / teams have not rated as highly and they are willing to take him at the end of the first.

Notice the use of "we" perhaps connoting an agreement with Harbaugh. This isn't someone that Baalke found - but more likely someone from Stanford. There's a bit of comfort in the way Baalke phrased things that suggests if we have to settle for "x" we'd be happy to have him.

It also sounds like the 49ers are trying to move around in the draft saying publicly - well if nothing happens to move the pick we are still comfortable taking X.

I'm guessing that means Coby Fleener.

That or it's all a smokescreen.

Actually Baalke should have just said he was referring to Luck. If Luck falls to 30, they'll take him :-)
He said it was someone they we're confident that would be there at 30. I dont see how Fleener or Hill could come to mind. My guess is Rueben Randle, I'd be confident he's gonna be there and they did a headquarters visit.

Randle is a low-risk prospect that will at least be a good #2 in the NFL.
Originally posted by RKab:
I came here immediately upon reading that article looking for some speculation :-) I trust Baalke at this point but for the fun of it...

The initial impression would be that they like a player that they believe the rest of the experts / teams have not rated as highly and they are willing to take him at the end of the first.

Notice the use of "we" perhaps connoting an agreement with Harbaugh. This isn't someone that Baalke found - but more likely someone from Stanford. There's a bit of comfort in the way Baalke phrased things that suggests if we have to settle for "x" we'd be happy to have him.

It also sounds like the 49ers are trying to move around in the draft saying publicly - well if nothing happens to move the pick we are still comfortable taking X.

I'm guessing that means Coby Fleener.

That or it's all a smokescreen.

Actually Baalke should have just said he was referring to Luck. If Luck falls to 30, they'll take him :-)

Could definitely be a Stanford guy.

Jonathan Martin? He's been plummeting in the mock drafts...
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Lot of #2s out there at WR for the 49ers though.
Lot of #2s out there at WR for the 49ers though.

That's fine for a ball-control offense.

Guys to move the chains...think mid-late 1990s 49ers before TO emerged.
Baalke also seemed to suggest that the player fit the Niners' scheme but not the schemes of other teams. Who might that suggest? It wouldn't be Fleener, Hill or Randle. Maybe a wildcard like OLB Zach Brown, tons of ability, great speed but raw. But that would beg the question, Why not trade down. Maybe that is what Baalke is saying: They know they can trade down and still get Brown but may not be able to find a trading partner so it that case they will pick him at #30.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 18, 2012 at 1:03 PM ]

That is my bet as well.
His last name rhymes with Neener and his first name rhymes with Kobe..................
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Baalke also seemed to suggest that the player fit the Niners' scheme but not the schemes of other teams. Who might that suggest? It wouldn't be Fleener, Hill or Randle. Maybe a wildcard like OLB Zach Brown, tons of ability, great speed but raw. But that would beg the question, Why not trade down. Maybe that is what Baalke is saying: They know they can trade down and still get Brown but may not be able to find a trading partner so it that case they will pick him at #30.

Fleener fits because we run 2 TEs.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
His last name rhymes with Neener and his first name rhymes with Kobe..................

Kobe Neener? Yeah, I heard about that guy. He plays for Samford right?
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Baalke: "We have one person that we feel real good about that if we're not able to make some moves, if we choose to do that, whether it be up or back. You've got to be prepared to make the pick at 30, which we're prepared to do. You just see how the board falls. We certainly have more than one person. But there is one in particular that we feel will be there. And if he is, we'll be prepared to make the pick.

"Are we expecting production out of the 30th pick? Yeah, to the level of that pick. Absolutely."

The last part may be important as well - it is not a "project" player per se. It is someone who they will expect production out of.

The more I read it - it definitely sounds like we are trying to trade down.

Which means we are probably trying to trade up. lol.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
I can't think of one good reason why a GM would get up in public one week before the draft and drop hints about what he was actually planning to do... especially a secretive, close to the vest guy like Baalke. This is all just one big smokescreen.
Lamar Jenkins
Baalke: "We have one person that we feel real good about that if we're not able to make some moves, if we choose to do that, whether it be up or back. You've got to be prepared to make the pick at 30, which we're prepared to do. You just see how the board falls. We certainly have more than one person. But there is one in particular that we feel will be there. And if he is, we'll be prepared to make the pick.

"Are we expecting production out of the 30th pick? Yeah, to the level of that pick. Absolutely."

The last part may be important as well - it is not a "project" player per se. It is someone who they will expect production out of.

The more I read it - it definitely sounds like we are trying to trade down.

Which means we are probably trying to trade up. lol.

My dream trade-down scenario is our 1st, 3rd, and 4th, for Philly's 2 #2s. We then pick at 46, 51, and 61. Starting caliber OG, CB, and DL all in the 2nd round. take developmental prospects in the 5th, 6th, and 7th.