LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 299 users in the forums

Who is Trent Baalke's Mystery Draft Crush?

Originally posted by 9erred:
Reuben Randle is the man. He is supposed to be llike Vincent Jackson, a big red zone target. Vincent Jackson just signed for 5 years 55 million. I think Baalke is like we can get him for the rookie pool money of 4 years 8 million.

Reuben Randle, even if Fleener is on the board.

i dont think so randle is i think 2 inches or so shorter

and he doesn not posses the speed VJ does

ya he is a great RZ target but he wont be the deep threat VJ is
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Niners99:
I like how everyone from Stanford is automatically assumed to be a target because of Harbaugh. We have two very good TE already. We have greater needs elsewhere, and a late 1st rounder is no more a sure thing than a 2nd. After signing f/a WR and letting Snyder walk, our biggest need is at Guard. We have Daniel Kilgore starting right now...

If Fleener is that highly valued, he wont fall to 30. And if he does, trading the pick to someone who desperately wants him makes more sense.

No. We have one very good Tight end, one very overrated tight end, and one tight end that is a helluva blocker.

Please let me know if you'd like me to break down why Delanie Walker blows.

First of all, Vernon Davis is good enough. Most teams would love to have just 1 TE like that. Second, Walker may be overrated, but he could still start for 1/3 of the NFL.

Are you really trying to say we need a TE more than a G?

I don't think anybody thinks we need a TE more than a G... but we need an offensive playmaker much more than we need a G. If Fleener is the best available when we pick, then that will be the pick.

We don't have any obvious needs. Manningham and Moss fill the WR need. Kilgore, Person, and Boone fill the G need.And we are set on defense. It will be an offensive BPA pick.

lol no they dont...
I think it's funny that anyone believes what NFL coaches and general managers have to say in the weeks leading up to the draft. Hell, the niners blow smoke at the media even during the season (Harbaugh telling the press that Alex is elite and belongs in the probowl etc).
Remember when the Niners (Baalke) claimed that SF had no interest in Manning.
That is not has draft crush. He just said something very ambiguous. That if they can't make a move up, there is a player they like that they feel will be there at 30.

Bigger information is this
"And there's other examples of that across the board. We're looking for different style of offensive lineman than the zone, cut-and-run teams."

So of the top 5 guards which are not the above type of lineman. That should narrow the fileld if we take a lineman .
~ There is no reason for him to say this.
~ You do not say ever "there is a player we like and will pick at #30."
~ People will assume it's Fleener because of the Harbaugh connection.
~ Making it more difficult to obtain him now. We will have to trade up because people will try to get ahead of us.
~ Never tell anybody. Media, fans, other teams what you will do.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ Making it more difficult to obtain him now. We will have to trade up because people will try to get ahead of us.

Bro.
I think most teams probably already thought the Niners might draft Fleener at #30 if he's still on the board.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
My guess is Silatolu. Very physical player with violent hands.

from pro football weekly insider column quoting unnamed front office personal and coaches, one says re silatolu "he has some issues that you cant hide (in our town)"

that almost sounds like refering to some type of personal issue, ie drinking drugs or something
Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
If I had to guess as to who Baalke was referring, I'd put my money on Zeitler. He's the fourth best guard in the draft, but that's because there's an overabundance of first round talent this year at the guard position. I can't imagine that he'd be gone before we pick, he fits a position of need, and he's talented and well coached. Solid, solid pick at 30.

However, I don't believe for a second that he's the first player on the Niners board. Zeitler is the safety net, the player that they go with if no one falls or they can't move up.

I think you may be right with Zeitler since he's not really projected to go in the 1st. There is just no way he is referring to Fleener. Everyone in the league must be linking us to him. If we end up trading up to grab Fleener and pay a kings ransom, then Trent shot himself in the foot. With the way he played his Aldon card to his chest though, I can't believe he would do something like that.

yup
Greg Childs

People were linking the Niners to Fleener well before this quote came out. It appears that you think this reinforces that idea, while others feel that it could be an indication of a "wild card", someone not already suggested.
"After all, the suggestion is that the 49ers have another surprise pick up their sleeve, which would seem to rule out likely first-rounders such as Stanford tight end Coby Fleener or Baylor wide receiver Kendall Wright."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/18/SPDH1O5614.DTL#ixzz1sUa1c4jx

Also, I don't believe Baalke's quote delivers any sort of confirmation for a particular player, be it Fleener or otherwise. He seems to agree with you about revealing information.
"I think we're going to leave that up to the 31 other teams to assess what our needs are and what we may be thinking going into the draft"
"I'm not going to talk about any particular player. Once again, that's for 31 other teams to decide…"
"We're not going to rule out anything right now. Every player in the draft is a possibility."
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2012/04/18/49ers-gm-trent-baalke-pre-draft-one-name-for-the-30th-pick-qb-competition-gregg-williams-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

I'd consider it a problem if Baalke had named a specific player or position. He did neither of those.
Dear Mods,

Please start counselling training, there are going to be so many broken hearts on your forum if the niners don't take Fleener *.

Signed

Concerned (Scotland, UK)

* not saying they won't.

Its Randle
Share 49ersWebzone