LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 206 users in the forums

Who's your favorite at #30?

Who's your favorite at #30?

Nick is crazy for thinking Wright is a small upgrade over Kyle Williams
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech. No surprise there.

WR's currently on hand (including PS):
Michael Crabtree: A roster lock, but I hope he's traded. Penciled as the #1, but in no way deserves it.
Mario Manningham: Likely #2, but I feel he's our best option at WR at this moment. Roster lock.
Kyle Williams: Solid slot WR/#3 and roster lock.
Randy Moss: Remains to be seen if he'll even make the final 53.
Ted Ginn Jr.: WR in name only. Should concentrate on returning kicks. Roster lock.
Joe Hastings: Some regular season sightings. Could see the knife or back on the PS.
Dontavia Bogan: PS. Likely gets cut.
John Matthews: Back to PS or gets cut.
Kyle Nelson: 6-3, 240. Don't really know what to make of him. But with that kind of size I'm interested in seeing more of him. Don't know if he makes PS or 53.

Of these 9 WR's 4 are definite locks: Crabs (unfortunately), Manningham, Williams, and Ginn. I know many here have Moss penciled as the #1 but Moss will have to earn a spot on the roster. I see us dressing 6 (or maby even 7) WR's on our final 53. I have no doubt that we get at least one in the draft, preferably Hill in round 1. I think Bogan and Matthews get cut. Depending on what we do in the draft Hastings or Nelson could be too. Regardless of the personnel JH & Co. will force some competition at this position.

Exactly what does a receiver have to do besides lead his team in every receiving category to be considered worthy of being "penciled in" as the #1 receiver. Crabtree is our best receiver and he is not going anywhere anytime soon so get over it. Kyle Williams is also far from a solid #3 or a roster lock
[ Edited by DirtyP on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM ]
Originally posted by YungAce:

but kyle williams solid if he was on patriots he be in hall of fame yo
Originally posted by YungAce:

Williams in 2012 will be better than a rookie in 2012.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech. No surprise there.

WR's currently on hand (including PS):
Michael Crabtree: A roster lock, but I hope he's traded. Penciled as the #1, but in no way deserves it.
Mario Manningham: Likely #2, but I feel he's our best option at WR at this moment. Roster lock.
Kyle Williams: Solid slot WR/#3 and roster lock.
Randy Moss: Remains to be seen if he'll even make the final 53.
Ted Ginn Jr.: WR in name only. Should concentrate on returning kicks. Roster lock.
Joe Hastings: Some regular season sightings. Could see the knife or back on the PS.
Dontavia Bogan: PS. Likely gets cut.
John Matthews: Back to PS or gets cut.
Kyle Nelson: 6-3, 240. Don't really know what to make of him. But with that kind of size I'm interested in seeing more of him. Don't know if he makes PS or 53.

Of these 9 WR's 4 are definite locks: Crabs (unfortunately), Manningham, Williams, and Ginn. I know many here have Moss penciled as the #1 but Moss will have to earn a spot on the roster. I see us dressing 6 (or maby even 7) WR's on our final 53. I have no doubt that we get at least one in the draft, preferably Hill in round 1. I think Bogan and Matthews get cut. Depending on what we do in the draft Hastings or Nelson could be too. Regardless of the personnel JH & Co. will force some competition at this position.

Thanks. A very nice WR breakdowndown. Although I do have some difference of opinion, yours may easily be the correct perspective.

Cabtree, I think, is deservedly #1 for now. I must have been in the minority for not liking that pick in the draft (McC made such vanilla/media-hyped 1st round picks; ecstatic he's gone). One big reason was that he couldn't work out because of broken bones in his foot. Big red flag; those can be chronic and it has proved so with Crabtree. It could prevent him from realizing whatever potential he may otherwise have had. But he has been our biggest producer and a injury free off-season could elevate his game. I think he's damaged goods though. If the FO could obscure that fact and have someone trade for him with a high draft pick, they'd pull the trigger, I feel.

I'm not that high on Manningham. Because the Niners acquired him, he's been elevated to almost elite status by some. Far from it. He's not a #1 IMO. He runs poor routes and I just think that he has poor game relative to his physical tools. NYG didn't try very hard to keep him for a reason.

Randy Moss is a freak. I wouldn't be surprised if he still had plenty in the tank. He does have off-field issues as he's proved everywhere else he's been. Can a leopard truly change it's spots? I wouldn't bet on it. Obviously JH believes that its worth a shot. Didn't work out with B Edwards; Moss could suffer the same fate.

The rest, as you have said.

As for my preference at #30: (In order, depending upon availability)

RB - DMartin/DWilson. Honestly don't know whose better.
WR - S.Hill. Absolutely have to address a field-stretcher/natural in this draft which is deep in WRs
CB - S.Gilmore. Certainly can do with a stud CB. He could fit the bill.
WR - R.Randle. Not really a burner, but attacks the ball like Fritz.
C/OL - P.Konz. Need OL help. Back-up center.

If we did pick up the RB in the first, I'd like the team to select Streeter in the second; he may not last much beyond #62.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Thanks. A very nice WR breakdowndown. Although I do have some difference of opinion, yours may easily be the correct perspective.

Cabtree, I think, is deservedly #1 for now. I must have been in the minority for not liking that pick in the draft (McC made such vanilla/media-hyped 1st round picks; ecstatic he's gone). One big reason was that he couldn't work out because of broken bones in his foot. Big red flag; those can be chronic and it has proved so with Crabtree. It could prevent him from realizing whatever potential he may otherwise have had. But he has been our biggest producer and a injury free off-season could elevate his game. I think he's damaged goods though. If the FO could obscure that fact and have someone trade for him with a high draft pick, they'd pull the trigger, I feel.

I'm not that high on Manningham. Because the Niners acquired him, he's been elevated to almost elite status by some. Far from it. He's not a #1 IMO. He runs poor routes and I just think that he has poor game relative to his physical tools. NYG didn't try very hard to keep him for a reason.

Randy Moss is a freak. I wouldn't be surprised if he still had plenty in the tank. He does have off-field issues as he's proved everywhere else he's been. Can a leopard truly change it's spots? I wouldn't bet on it. Obviously JH believes that its worth a shot. Didn't work out with B Edwards; Moss could suffer the same fate.

The rest, as you have said.

As for my preference at #30: (In order, depending upon availability)

RB - DMartin/DWilson. Honestly don't know whose better.
WR - S.Hill. Absolutely have to address a field-stretcher/natural in this draft which is deep in WRs
CB - S.Gilmore. Certainly can do with a stud CB. He could fit the bill.
WR - R.Randle. Not really a burner, but attacks the ball like Fritz.
C/OL - P.Konz. Need OL help. Back-up center.

If we did pick up the RB in the first, I'd like the team to select Streeter in the second; he may not last much beyond #62.

My ideal 3 round mock goes fleener in the 1st, streeter in the 2nd, and a center-guard in the 3rd.
Janoris Jenkins
Share 49ersWebzone