There are 226 users in the forums

Who's your favorite at #30?

Who's your favorite at #30?

So I've compiled a list of all potential players we could see the Niners take at #30. I've got three receivers in there, even though I think the chances of us taking at WR in the first round is almost zero (there isn't a roster spot). Basically, I took a list of all the players going between 20 and 40 in mock drafts and pulled out the ones that could potentially be 49ers.

My #1 choice is Fleener, followed by Konz, Glenn, Martin, Gilmore, and Brockers. I threw Martin in there because you can always convert a tackle to a guard, and you can have Martin push Davis for his starting job and put the loser at G -- or just tell Davis that he's a Guard again. My justification for Fleener at #1 is based on Harbaugh's desire to start 2 TEs and a need to upgrade the second TE spot over Walker, who is highly overrrated as a tight end but is a decent H Back. Konz would start immediately at Right Guard and would take over at C in 2013 or 2014 for Goodwin. Its unlikely Cordy Glenn would fall to #30, but its possible -- he's another Guard-Right Tackle prospect (even thought he played LT in College) that is similar to Anthony Davis. Stephon Gilmore provides depth to the secondary and can make a great free safety (we have little depth at Safety). Brockers is simply an athletic freak that can play the 5-technique like a champ and can even play the nose position -- he could excel in our system.

Who's your favorite and why? If you want a WR, please tell me who is going to get cut in order to make room for them.
Running back. I'd prefer Martin, but Wilson is fine too.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Running back. I'd prefer Martin, but Wilson is fine too.

I like Wilson too.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I agree. I'd prefer Doug Martin. But Wilson will do.

I really think people should prepare themselves for us to pick a RB, OL or DL in the 1st. It's a real possibility, especially if we're going BPA. Tough to predict Baalke's board.
kendall wright
Originally posted by okdkid:

I really think people should prepare themselves for us to pick a RB, OL or DL in the 1st. It's a real possibility, especially if we're going BPA. Tough to predict Baalke's board.

Doug Martin is a 2nd or 3rd round pick. "Martin" is Jonathan Martin, Stanford Offensive Tackle.

But I do agree with you on the pick. DL or even the secondary is a stronger possibility than people think.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
kendall wright

Justification please. ***who*** are we going to cut?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Justification please. ***who*** are we going to cut?

kyle williams
kyle williams

...and there comes the nonsense.
Doug Martin is a 2nd or 3rd round pick. "Martin" is Jonathan Martin, Stanford Offensive Tackle.

But I do agree with you on the pick. DL or even the secondary is a stronger possibility than people think.

Disagree about Martin being anywhere near the third. He's a fringe first/second to mid second now. I hope he drops to #62, but there are teams before us who need backs as well. I too think that DT could be a surprise.

Do you think we would jump up for Glenn if he dropped into the mid twenties?

It was a tough call on this list because you had Wright, higher on the board. He would compete and beat out Williams for that slot spot along with Manningham. Still, given the depth at WR in this draft class, I would go with Fleener.

He can jump right in and contribute. Not only that, but he would provide us with a great RZ target, better than Walker. Also, Walker is a UFA next year so he can take over as #2 TE. He and Davis would be better than Gronk and Hernandez, IMO.

Yup, Fleener FTW!!!

Martin is mid-2nd at worst. Most mocks I've seen have him going two spots after us to the Giants. I'd rather have him at #30. He's a future 3 down back and he's got speed and power.
i really like Hill and if he's there i hope we get him
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:

Sorry for the confusion. I was responding to sspiker. Should have quoted.

Doug Martin will be taken at the bottom of round 1 or top of round 2. He's a talented 3 down back. I've seen a few mocks with him going to the NYG in round 1. I think there is as much chance that Doug Martin makes it to round 3 as there is for Kendall Wright to make it to round 2.

That being said, unless Baalke falls head over heels for a WR or TE, I sincerely doubt we take a WR/TE in round 1.

If the bet was we take a WR/TE or the field, I'll take the field.
[ Edited by okdkid on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:04 AM ]
kyle williams

Wright is an upgrade in every way over Kyle Williams
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
kyle williams

Wright is an upgrade in every way over Kyle Williams

So is Justin Blackmon. Neither are making it to #30.
Share 49ersWebzone