LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 360 users in the forums

619Niner 's 1st Mock Draft

1st Round - Cody Fleener, Stanford TE (6'6" 250 pounds) Fleener's size, athleticism, and ability to catch the ball downfield (19.6 YPC in 2011) will be a tremendous asset to the Niners offense. Jim Harbaugh loves utilizing multiple tight ends in his offense .With teams like New Orleans and New England thriving with big bodied TEs, it seems easy to pair Fleener with Davis and Delanie Walker. He will be a natural fit.

2nd Round - Jared Crick, Nebraska DE (6'6" 285 pounds) Smith replacement He's coming off a pectoral injury, but when healthy he was a monster at Nebraska. Crick has the strength to be a quality run defender on the edge also has the flexibility to play anywhere along the defensive line, depending upon down and distance.

3rd Round - Robert Turbin, Utah State RB (5'10" 216 pounds) Gore replacement after this season. Very good pass blocker and better in short yardage than Dixon.
4th Round - Brain Quick, Appalachian State WR (6'4" 216 pounds) Quick is a big, raw, athletic receiver who dominated the FCS level - which is what Baalke looks for in a small school prospect.

5th Round - Ryan Miller, Colorado G (6'7" 321 pounds) He plays with very good leverage for his size. Has very good movement and quick feet , so he won't be a liability in pulls and traps.

6th Round - Chris Owusu, Stanford WR/KR (6'0" 196 pounds) Too much talent to pass up even with his injury concerns. He would compete with Kyle Williams for a roster spot.

7th Round - Miles Burris, San Diego State OLB (6'2" 246 pounds) High character and great backup and ST, needed especially since we only went with 3 last year.

Thoughts!!!
Well, even though I've seen those first 3 picks mocked many times in the Zone, I would absolutely love to see it happen. I also like the Quick and Miller picks and they are reasonably slotted.

Spending a 6th on a guy who may not make it out of training camp because of concussion issues is very risky...but I can see why you pulled the trigger on him. I guess I just think there are less risky picks at wideout then with just as much upside. Actually, I hope for his own good that Owusu retires from football and concentrates on a different career. He seems like a very bright guy that could succeed in a number of areas.

Although I agree with your descriptions of the players and would love to have them, I also think that many of these guys are highly valued by other teams and therefore will be gone before the Niners pick at the end of the aforementioned rounds. Methinks that Fleener, for example, after his Pro Day, may go off the board in the twenties and I doubt Crick will last all the way to the end of the second.

As I said though, I would love the draft to play out this way...
  • I believe the Niners will go safety at some point. As of now, there's only Spillman and Colin Jones as backups.
  • I think we'll go higher with an OG. Fifth round doesn't give enough competition to Kilgore.
  • With Ginn's signing, I don't think there's room for Fleener and Quick. We should be able to hide Owusu on the practice squad but not Quick.
I'd be exited with Fleener, Crick and Turbin.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
  • I believe the Niners will go safety at some point. As of now, there's only Spillman and Colin Jones as backups.
  • I think we'll go higher with an OG. Fifth round doesn't give enough competition to Kilgore.
  • With Ginn's signing, I don't think there's room for Fleener and Quick. We should be able to hide Owusu on the practice squad but not Quick.

You bring up some very good points.

I agree with what you say about Safety.

I also tend to agree with what you say about OG. However, we don't really know how the 49ers feel about Kilgore . . . the higher their opinion is about his ability to step in, the lower the need is to draft a guard. Also, the fact that they haven't signed a free agent guard, might mean that they feel Kilgore will be able to step in at RG.

I don't think Ginn's signing means they have no room for Fleener and/or Quick.
Phenomenal mock, my friend. Only thing I would do different is take a DB in the 7th, but that's totally irrelevant. Good job!
Rack em.....good mock, but Quick won't last until the fourth round.

HOPEFULLY Fleener makes it to us.
you had me at Fleener...
Im Down For Fleener
Very fine mock and hope it goes down like this.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I'll be doing cartwheels if we can somehow pull this off.

I believe the Niners will go safety at some point. As of now, there's only Spillman and Colin Jones as backups.I think we'll go higher with an OG. Fifth round doesn't give enough competition to Kilgore.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

Favorite mock. But yeahh, we could probably get Owusu as an UDFA and take kelsie McCray or Duke Ichago in the 6th instead. But then again, I'd we draft trumaine Johnson, we could have a corner and swing FS, which could save space on the depth chart. We also have Mark LeGree on the PS(who is a very servicable backup FS). Brian Quick was projected as a 2nd rounder last time I checked soo if we get him in the fourth, I'd be happy
[ Edited by martysofresh on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM ]
Overall, very good mock. Agree, though, that Baalke may pull the trigger on an OG earlier in the draft. If he doesn't (potentially) trade up in the 2nd rd to get Zeitler or Osemele, he could do so in the 3rd and take Brandon Brooks, Tony Bergstrom or Amini Silatolu. It's possible Turbin lasts 'til the 4th rd, as Hunter did last year. Picking at #30 does change things, though. Also agree WRT a S...there's really no experienced depth behind Goldson and Whitner. It's possible they may still be able to re-sign Reggie Smith, as he may face the same problems Goldson did a year ago. If so, great, if not, Baalke needs to sign a different FA and/or draft a good one.
Share 49ersWebzone