There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OTC's Big 125 Board + 49ers Mock (3/5/12)

Originally posted by Engleburger:
The difference between "not that great" and "terrible" is huge. Comparing him to Crabs is really reaching, crabs two years were the two most productive years for any college WR ever.
First round WR's in order...

DHB- 2,089, 3 years
Crabtree- 3,127, 2 years
Maclin- 2,315, 2 years
Harvin- 1,929, 3 years (1,852 rushing yards)
Nicks- 2,840, 3 years
Britt- 1,765, 3 years (injured a lot in college)

2nd Round
Robiskie- 1,866, 4 years
Massaquoi- 2,282, 4 years

You going to really say that talent is what got DHB drafted first? He had no business going before Nicks in 2009, his combine numbers are what propelled him to the top.
Originally posted by jreff22:
First round WR's in order...

DHB- 2,089, 3 years
Crabtree- 3,127, 2 years
Maclin- 2,315, 2 years
Harvin- 1,929, 3 years (1,852 rushing yards)
Nicks- 2,840, 3 years
Britt- 1,765, 3 years (injured a lot in college)

2nd Round
Robiskie- 1,866, 4 years
Massaquoi- 2,282, 4 years

You going to really say that talent is what got DHB drafted first? He had no business going before Nicks in 2009, his combine numbers are what propelled him to the top.

No... That's not what I'm saying at all.

What I'm saying is DHB showed a lot more on the football field than Poe has. He wasn't completely nonexistant, getting shut down on every play like Poe. Better competition, too.

I actually watched DHB in college after hearing about his speed. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't as appauled as I was when watching Poe.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if youre still talking about poe

he was considered a first to second round prospect and quite honestly he had a beter combine than hill


will he blow you away with his film no he wont but he wont disspoint you either he is a solid player who has off the charts physically and measurables hes a top 15 lock who imo wont get past 12
He disappointed me big time.

What games did you watch where he played good?
Originally posted by Engleburger:
Originally posted by jreff22:
First round WR's in order...

DHB- 2,089, 3 years
Crabtree- 3,127, 2 years
Maclin- 2,315, 2 years
Harvin- 1,929, 3 years (1,852 rushing yards)
Nicks- 2,840, 3 years
Britt- 1,765, 3 years (injured a lot in college)

2nd Round
Robiskie- 1,866, 4 years
Massaquoi- 2,282, 4 years

You going to really say that talent is what got DHB drafted first? He had no business going before Nicks in 2009, his combine numbers are what propelled him to the top.

No... That's not what I'm saying at all.

What I'm saying is DHB showed a lot more on the football field than Poe has. He wasn't completely nonexistant, getting shut down on every play like Poe. Better competition, too.

I actually watched DHB in college after hearing about his speed. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't as appauled as I was when watching Poe.
Garnered All-Conference USA second team honors as a junior in 2011, C-USA honorable mention honors in 2010 and was named as a member of C-USA's All-Freshman team in 2009

So who voted for him?
All conference USA second team? C-USA honorable mention?

Badass credentials
Originally posted by Engleburger:
All conference USA second team? C-USA honorable mention?

Badass credentials

he did enough to get voted for by people who tend to know more about football then you do
Originally posted by jreff22:
he did enough to get voted for by people who tend to know more about football then you do

Are you serious? You think making conference USA honorable mention makes someone a top 10 NFL prospect?

Have you ever watched Dontari Poe play?
Originally posted by Engleburger:
Originally posted by jreff22:
he did enough to get voted for by people who tend to know more about football then you do

Are you serious? You think making conference USA honorable mention makes someone a top 10 NFL prospect?

Have you ever watched Dontari Poe play?

You are consistently missing the point. Teams draft guys for a number of reasons:
1. College performance
2. Potential/Upside
3. Combine performance
4. Better pro then college player

If any team looks at Poe and thinks he has great potential, showed fantastic athleticism at the combine, and will become a better pro then he was a college player then they will move on him fast. He could be a 2nd rounder, late 1st, mid 1st, or early 1st...all it takes is one team to fall in love with him and pull the trigger.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mock-Draft-40-5010.html
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock
http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-03-01/2012-nfl-mock-draft-combine-andrew-luck-robert-griffin-iii-dontari-poe
http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2012/3/7/2852301/nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-has-luke-kuechly-or-dontari-poe-to-chiefs-in
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/steve-wyche/90100

Check every link and tell me what you see. I'm not saying he is worth the pick, I'm saying he is in a good position to go early because the over hype of combine numbers.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
You are consistently missing the point. Teams draft guys for a number of reasons:
1. College performance
2. Potential/Upside
3. Combine performance
4. Better pro then college player

If any team looks at Poe and thinks he has great potential, showed fantastic athleticism at the combine, and will become a better pro then he was a college player then they will move on him fast. He could be a 2nd rounder, late 1st, mid 1st, or early 1st...all it takes is one team to fall in love with him and pull the trigger.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mock-Draft-40-5010.html
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock
http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-03-01/2012-nfl-mock-draft-combine-andrew-luck-robert-griffin-iii-dontari-poe
http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2012/3/7/2852301/nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-has-luke-kuechly-or-dontari-poe-to-chiefs-in
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/steve-wyche/90100

Check every link and tell me what you see. I'm not saying he is worth the pick, I'm saying he is in a good position to go early because the over hype of combine numbers.

The list of internet mocks answers my question on wheather or not you had watched him play.

And in the bold, I agree with you. He will most definately get drafted too high because of his combine measurables. I just don't see any chance of him being a top 10 pick. I'll stick to that. I've never seen a player as bad as Poe get picked that high. Ever.
Originally posted by Engleburger:
The list of internet mocks answers my question on wheather or not you had watched him play.

And in the bold, I agree with you. He will most definately get drafted too high because of his combine measurables. I just don't see any chance of him being a top 10 pick. I'll stick to that. I've never seen a player as bad as Poe get picked that high. Ever.

The mocks were used to show predictions from sports writers. No offense but your opinion holds 0 weight compared to nationally known writers and guys who have been doing this on the zone for years and who are accurate the vast majority of the time. Until you post a mock or a big board to show your knowledge I suggest you stop throwing stones on others work. I have watched Poe, I watch a lot of ball and pay a lot of attention to the draft. Teams fell in love with Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder who had no business being high first rounders last year but guess what...it takes one team.

Post a mock so we can bask in the brilliance of your opinion.
Mel Kiper's latest mock draft has Carolina taking Poe at #9
Originally posted by jreff22:
The mocks were used to show predictions from sports writers. No offense but your opinion holds 0 weight compared to nationally known writers and guys who have been doing this on the zone for years and who are accurate the vast majority of the time. Until you post a mock or a big board to show your knowledge I suggest you stop throwing stones on others work. I have watched Poe, I watch a lot of ball and pay a lot of attention to the draft. Teams fell in love with Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder who had no business being high first rounders last year but guess what...it takes one team.

Post a mock so we can bask in the brilliance of your opinion.


Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder were all productive players in major conferences. You just don't get it.
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,745
Originally posted by jreff22:
The mocks were used to show predictions from sports writers. No offense but your opinion holds 0 weight compared to nationally known writers and guys who have been doing this on the zone for years and who are accurate the vast majority of the time. Until you post a mock or a big board to show your knowledge I suggest you stop throwing stones on others work. I have watched Poe, I watch a lot of ball and pay a lot of attention to the draft. Teams fell in love with Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder who had no business being high first rounders last year but guess what...it takes one team.

Post a mock so we can bask in the brilliance of your opinion.

If you really have seen Poe I don't understand why you can't mention specifics about his game that impressed you. Engleburger may get 0 credibility from you and the rest of the good old boys but at least be has his own opinion and doesn't need to rest on the curtails of some overhyped Internet gms.

EB already has given his opinion, let's hear yours...And please base it on what you've seen of him in games and not just on fourth or fifth hand scouting reports.
I am not high on Poe, but I think some team will fall in love with the measurables and draft him too early. It happens every year with workout warriors. I grade him as a late second round prospect, but a big guy who runs that fast is going to be a first rounder.
? for OTC. Who is the best run blocking guard in this draft? Who is the best run blocking guard that might be available at our first pick?
I ask this because if snyder doesn't resign I think were gonna need a guard even more than Fleener, Hill or an offensive weapon. My thought is, if we can improve our running game, this will do more to help the offense because we are a running team first. I remember to many games ( Cowboys with larry allen, emmet smith) where the ball gets snapped, then the d-line gets pushed back 2 or 3 yards, then the running back gets what he can get. You may not have to pass the ball in the fourth quarter if they can't stop your runs.