There are 276 users in the forums

OTC's Big 125 Board + 49ers Mock (3/5/12)

Originally posted by Engleburger:
LOL Dontari Poe a top 10 pick? Are you just looking at measurables?

Remember when Ted Ginn went 7th overall? He only had 800 yards and 4 TDs in his last year of school, and his measurables were 5-11 178 4.38 ... There is always one odd shocker. Look at the historical trends. I hope you are not thinking I believe Poe is a top 10 value or rank him as 9th best overall. Both assertions would be incorrect. I am projecting Poe to be the shocking, overdrafted, top 10 guy.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Remember when Ted Ginn went 7th overall? He only had 800 yards and 4 TDs in his last year of school, and his measurables were 5-11 178 4.38 ... There is always one odd shocker. Look at the historical trends. I hope you are not thinking I believe Poe is a top 10 value or rank him as 9th best overall. Both assertions would be incorrect. I am projecting Poe to be the shocking, overdrafted, top 10 guy.

You could tell Teddy Ginn had gamebreaking speed in college. He made some huge plays. Poe sucks.

I think he compares more to Walter Thomas more than Haloti Ngata.

You could tell Teddy Ginn had gamebreaking speed in college. He made some huge plays. Poe sucks.

I think he compares more to Walter Thomas more than Haloti Ngata.

9th overall is a little high for almost nothing but big plays on kick returns don't you think? Poe sucking is irrelevant. He'll be drafted higher than he should be. Remember Tyson Jackson going 3rd overall? Remember Vernon Gholston with his insane measurables going 6th overall?

It happens.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM ]
7th overall is a little high for almost nothing but big plays on kick returns don't you think? Poe sucking is irrelevant. He'll be drafted higher than he should be. Remember Tyson Jackson going 3rd overall? Remember Vernon Gholston with his insane measurables going 6th overall?

It happens.

All the guys you mentioned were productive college players are major programs to back up their nice measurables. Poe is not.

If it's just where you think people will go instead of where they deserve to go, then I guess theres no point to argue. I just don't see it happening.
7th overall is a little high for almost nothing but big plays on kick returns don't you think? Poe sucking is irrelevant. He'll be drafted higher than he should be. Remember Tyson Jackson going 3rd overall? Remember Vernon Gholston with his insane measurables going 6th overall?

It happens.

All the guys you mentioned were productive college players are major programs to back up their nice measurables. Poe is not.

If it's just where you think people will go instead of where they deserve to go, then I guess theres no point to argue. I just don't see it happening.

You are debating with one of the most accurate guys on this site who is correct more often then not.
Originally posted by jreff22:

It happens.

You are debating with one of the most accurate guys on this site who is correct more often then not.

And what's that have to do with Dontari Poe? It makes no sense to just follow what OTC and Maddog say. They don't have any tape the rest of us don't have access to. Form your own opinions based on what you see or else your opinion isn't worth a damn.

As for Poe, he's from a small school and he seems to have been pretty inneffective in college...That sounds nothing like Ted Ginn, Tyson Jackson or Vernon Gholston.

-Ginn played on a National CHampionship runner up team. He returned a kick for a td in that game. He was electric as a receiver and as a returner in college. He shouldn't have gone as high as he did but I think he was generally considered a first round talent before the draft.

-Jackson was a beast who didn't have big stats, but that's not what was asked of him in college and that's not his game. He was on a great team and a great defense in the SEC. I hardly think that he compares to Poe.

-Gholston beasted it up in college. He may have been one dimensional or whatever, but he was at a big time school and he produced. I think that's Engleburger's point.

I'll be shocked to see Poe go in the top 10. He does not have the credentials of the aforementioned 3 players.

It happens.

that shouldnt stop him from having his own opinion and sticking to his guns, even if he is wrong..... which in my opinion he is
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

It happens.

And what's that have to do with Dontari Poe? It makes no sense to just follow what OTC and Maddog say. They don't have any tape the rest of us don't have access to. Form your own opinions based on what you see or else your opinion isn't worth a damn.

As for Poe, he's from a small school and he seems to have been pretty inneffective in college...That sounds nothing like Ted Ginn, Tyson Jackson or Vernon Gholston.

-Ginn played on a National CHampionship runner up team. He returned a kick for a td in that game. He was electric as a receiver and as a returner in college. He shouldn't have gone as high as he did but I think he was generally considered a first round talent before the draft.

-Jackson was a beast who didn't have big stats, but that's not what was asked of him in college and that's not his game. He was on a great team and a great defense in the SEC. I hardly think that he compares to Poe.

-Gholston beasted it up in college. He may have been one dimensional or whatever, but he was at a big time school and he produced. I think that's Engleburger's point.

I'll be shocked to see Poe go in the top 10. He does not have the credentials of the aforementioned 3 players.

Every year some team pulls a dip s**t move and takes a combine king.
It's not a big deal, really. I think it'd be more of a debate if this was the "Final" Big Board, because at that point you could argue all you want, knowing my final call/opinion on the matter.

This is just the initial prognosis. So while there are other better examples, there's not much point in arguing about it, hence no more effort put in to making a point.
Originally posted by hofer36:

It happens.

that shouldnt stop him from having his own opinion and sticking to his guns, even if he is wrong..... which in my opinion he is

I'm wrong? Ted Ginn and Gholston weren't productive college players from top programs?

Or do you think Dontari Poe is a top 10 pick because OTC said so?

It happens.

I'm wrong? Ted Ginn and Gholston weren't productive college players from top programs?

i think poe is going to be a high pick, because he has generated tons of buzz with his combine performance...i dont see him being a top ten pick based on his play, but i think somebody will bite early

It happens.

Wes Bunting, a well known draft analyst for NFP released his mock today...

9. Carolina Panthers:
Memphis DT Dontari Poe The NFL Combine helped Poe as much as anyone. He's a massive kid with an elite combination of power, explosion and upside. His tape isn't great, but I think he's now a lock for the top 15.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mock-Draft-40-5010.html

It happens.

Neither did anyone see Raji being a top 10 pick before the Combine as well. Poe will not get passed KC, IMO.
Originally posted by ninertico:

It happens.

Neither did anyone see Raji being a top 10 pick before the Combine as well. Poe will not get passed KC, IMO.
Raji had tape backing up his rise to the top 10 though, he wasn't just a workout warrior.

Raji's last year in school he looked like a man on a mission. I saw him time and again blow up double or triple teams before breaking into the backfield and making a play. With Poe, I often see him getting blocked one on one by much smaller offensive players (think the RB or TE from a smaller college program).

I'm not saying there's no chance Poe could make it to the top 10, but if he does I don't think Raji is the perfect comparison either. Raji was a straight up beast and deserved to go that high.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Raji had tape backing up his rise to the top 10 though, he wasn't just a workout warrior.

Raji's last year in school he looked like a man on a mission. I saw him time and again blow up double or triple teams before breaking into the backfield and making a play. With Poe, I often see him getting blocked one on one by much smaller offensive players (think the RB or TE from a smaller college program).

I'm not saying there's no chance Poe could make it to the top 10, but if he does I don't think Raji is the perfect comparison either. Raji was a straight up beast and deserved to go that high.

Poe is not JUST a work out warrior though. Never said that Raji is a perfect comparison either, but it very similar. Raji made a name for himself at the SB, too. But if you take a look at the analysis of both players, their rise at this time of year is almost identical. I hear what you are saying, but Raji had issues at BC, too and some of his tape showed inconsistency. He rocked it after the season and made a name for himself at the SB and Combine.

I remember this well because I was real high on him, more so than Crabs to be honest. Was pissed when GB took him ahead of us.
Share 49ersWebzone