LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

OTC's Big 125 Board + 49ers Mock (3/5/12)

OTC, great job as always. Thanks for the updated board. If the draft fell this way I'd be tickled pink. The only thing missing is another running back, but I can live with that till next years draft.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Great job OTC, very solid overall ranking... a few comments from my own personal opinion.

1) Joe Adams should be on this list (IMO no later than a late 3rd round pick)

2) Chris Givens is rated too high (listed in the 2nd round)

3) Josh Norman is underrated

While I believe that Norman and Adams hurt their stock with unimpressive 40 times, I don't see either player falling out of the third round. They are much more explosive in pads and in game situations (see Kendall Wright) than their 40 times indicate and all it takes is one GM who doesn't put stake into the combine to rate these two players as 3rd round prospects at the latest. I believe the combine hype will die down and these players will each have a chance to redeem themselves at their pro days (and on film). Both players were extremely productive and explosive in college and both had outstanding performances in postseason games.

I think late 2nd early 3rd range is about right for Givens, who displayed outstanding speed and lightning quickness in drills at the combine. He, like Marvin Jones, is rising. Givens was more productive than Jones though (1330 yards, 9 TD on 83 catches).

I have Joe Adams at New England's pick in the 4th right now. I'll probably move him up at some point, as obviously this board is very much going to change.

When putting together these boards, there are points where you realize something, and it's this: SOMEbody has to fall. At some point, you see that there just isn't enough room for everybody that SHOULD go in a certain round, and that is how you get steals.

I can tell you right now, this draft is VERY deep. I'm talking there should be players in the 6th round that are worth much much more than that in terms of draft stock right now. Now, I know some players are overrated and will go higher than they should and I have to account for that when putting this projection board together, but those that are overrated that are overdrafted simply push better players to us, so...
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM ]
Very nice, but I prefer Fleener at #30. I think this decision will be based on what we do in Free Agency. If we land a marquee WR (or two of them, or keep Ginn and/or Morgan), then we go with Fleener and draft a late-round WR. If we fail to land a FA WR, we're taking a WR in the first round.

Oh, and Jared Crick is a great pick in the 2nd. Justin Smith clone.

would you take Crick or Alameda Ta'amu?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Very nice, but I prefer Fleener at #30. I think this decision will be based on what we do in Free Agency. If we land a marquee WR (or two of them, or keep Ginn and/or Morgan), then we go with Fleener and draft a late-round WR. If we fail to land a FA WR, we're taking a WR in the first round.

Oh, and Jared Crick is a great pick in the 2nd. Justin Smith clone.

would you take Crick or Alameda Ta'amu?

Crick. If we're going after a NT, I like Mike Martin a little more than Ta'amu, even though he's not as big of a clogger.
Watched some more of Ronnie Hillman the other night, I'm dropping him down the rankings. His running style will not work in the NFL IMO, way too much hesitation, constantly looking for cutback lanes. He went to the Reggie Bush school on how to run.

A RB that impressed me when I watched him was Tauren Poole of Tenn. Runs really low, great footwork, north-south runner. Looks a like a very powerful, natural runner.

High character guy as well, 3 time all academic team and nominated for the Lowe CLASS award, won the Pat Tillman Award.

Not very productive in college, buried in the depth chart much of his career as he went through 3 coaching changes.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

It's very possible this will change. We will have to see. We've got more than a month to go so I may lift him in that time span. Suppose Alshon Jeffery runs at his pro day and hits 4.4 or low 4.5? He'll skyrocket into the top 25. Much is yet to be decided at this point.

And half the Hill bandwagoneers will become Alshon Bandwagoneers.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Watched some more of Ronnie Hillman the other night, I'm dropping him down the rankings. His running style will not work in the NFL IMO, way too much hesitation, constantly looking for cutback lanes. He went to the Reggie Bush school on how to run.

A RB that impressed me when I watched him was Tauren Poole of Tenn. Runs really low, great footwork, north-south runner. Looks a like a very powerful, natural runner.

High character guy as well, 3 time all academic team and nominated for the Lowe CLASS award, won the Pat Tillman Award.

Not very productive in college, buried in the depth chart much of his career as he went through 3 coaching changes.

Not very high on Hillman either. His dancing negates much of his physical ability. I think he can be coached into an Ok player perhaps, but I am doubtful he'll ever be a star or starter in the NFL.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
It's very possible this will change. We will have to see. We've got more than a month to go so I may lift him in that time span. Suppose Alshon Jeffery runs at his pro day and hits 4.4 or low 4.5? He'll skyrocket into the top 25. Much is yet to be decided at this point.

Jeffery certainly had some surprising measurements at the combine, not just his weigh, but height. He didn't even hit 6-3. 6'2 7/8" 216. Still a measurement that shows good-to-great size, but not "physical freak" size like Vincent Jackson (6-5 235) or Calvin Johnson (6-5 240).

Jeffery certainly had some surprising measurements at the combine, not just his weigh, but height. He didn't even hit 6-3. 6'2 7/8" 216. Still a measurement that shows good-to-great size, but not "physical freak" size like Vincent Jackson (6-5 235) or Calvin Johnson (6-5 240).

True enough. He's a big question mark. He certainly looks like he can be productive...but who knows.

True enough. He's a big question mark. He certainly looks like he can be productive...but who knows.

It's hard to consider him going any later than the 2nd round, considering Sanu -- even with a 4.67 -- is still getting late 2nd to early 3rd round consideration at worst.

hard for me to see Josh Robinson falling that low. rather have him than crick
For those with questions or qualms of the placements of various players:

Not to worry, as I said would occur, I have already done some reshuffling and movement of several players around the board. After Hill's sharp Pro-Day, he has moved into the top 20 on the new Big Board.

As for wanting Robinson over Crick, I personally must disagree. Crick is a First round talent. Josh Robinson is not. Crick still dominated when Suh was gone. His injury is the only thing knocking him down now. Josh Robinson is thick, but very short for a CB. 5' 9 1/2" -- Ask the Lions or Saints how fun it is to have a short cornerback on defense (5-9 Aaron Berry was abused by the Saints, even when he had the coverage). Not to say it's impossible, but it's much more difficult.

It's why I am not a fan of Boykin for our defense which has only one CB under 5-11.
For those with questions or qualms of the placements of various players:

Not to worry, as I said would occur, I have already done some reshuffling and movement of several players around the board. After Hill's sharp Pro-Day, he has moved into the top 20 on the new Big Board.

As for wanting Robinson over Crick, I personally must disagree. Crick is a First round talent. Josh Robinson is not. Crick still dominated when Suh was gone. His injury is the only thing knocking him down now. Josh Robinson is thick, but very short for a CB. 5' 9 1/2" -- Ask the Lions or Saints how fun it is to have a short cornerback on defense (5-9 Aaron Berry was abused by the Saints, even when he had the coverage). Not to say it's impossible, but it's much more difficult.

It's why I am not a fan of Boykin for our defense which has only one CB under 5-11.

agreed. Crick would be a nice 2nd rd pick, and yeah his injury hurted his stock.

I prefer a 6'0 and above CB, I also am off the Boykin bandwagon, loved him, but too tiny.

It's hard to consider him going any later than the 2nd round, considering Sanu -- even with a 4.67 -- is still getting late 2nd to early 3rd round consideration at worst.

Hoping he turns in a shockingly good pro day. Not expecting it though.
LOL Dontari Poe a top 10 pick? Are you just looking at measurables?

If he's a top 10 pick, I'll give you a BJ
Share 49ersWebzone