There are 269 users in the forums

MileHigh mock pre-combine

Wanted to join in on the fun and see where my opinions/predictions rank with those on the zone.

Offseason: Secondary gets continuity with the franchise tagging of Goldson and signing Rogers to a decent longterm deal with a good signing bonus but back weighted to hedge risk. Ginn leaves for another team that will overpay him thinking they have the magic to turn him into an NFL WR rather than just an ace return man. Brooks also departs to a team like the cardinals who needs OLB help and have been willing to pay top dollar for LB's in the past. Alex and Grant resign and Snyder hangs out on the market long enough for us to resign him at a bargain. The club also resigns Morgan.
Additions: Keeping it simple, Baalke signs Garcon from Indy and possibly a vet guard who fell through the cracks if Snyder gets an overpaid offer.

Draft: Baalke has shown the determination to address things that need fixing, like drafting 2 OL in the first or grabbing Aldon Smith. (I give Baalke credit since draft boards are typically set up to incorporate the teams "need" factor at a position when determining BPA... ie: BPA for that specific team and he hit a homerun there)
This draft will address the offensive efficiency and red zone threat.

Quick note: IMO Baalke will try to trade out of the 30 spot with a team looking to get back into the 1st round, leaving our first pick in the early 2nd round. I also think that the additional picks will then be traded away to move up from our 30th spot in the 2nd to the middle of the second round, leaving us with 2 picks in the 34-50 range. Based on how combines, pro-days and interviews the top two picks may flip flop.

Top of 2nd Round: Reuben Randle, WR, LSU: The combine will help this kid, and he is a big bodied WR with Speed. Also a tough kid and came from the SEC where he had to block a ton. If he catches everything in sight and runs a good 40... he will leap frog Fleener in value at the pick.

Middle of Round 2: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford - OLB is an option but in the end the value of Fleener as a target to move the chains and in the redzone is too big to ignore for a team that struggled in both areas the majority of the season. Fleeners ankle sprain will cause his stock to fall out of the first but not that far since he will run well at his pro day. Fleener adds a dynamic to this offense which is predicated on the 2 TE set. Byham becomes the #3 TE. Walker moves to an H-back role, taking the roster spot of Norris who wont be coming back.

3rd Round: Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana - Baalke likes himself those small schools, this year he turns to the small schools earlier in the draft than in the past and selects Johnson, who at 6'2 doesn't lose much athleticism for that height. He also returns kick offs if needed. Speed & injury concerns will cause him to fall to the late 3rd where Baalke will pounce.

4th Round: Shea McClellan, OLB Boise St. - He may not last this long (every mock has to have a lil bit of a stretch in thinking), but size concerns take him out of the NFL DE in a 4-3 conversation and teams may start going for projects with outstanding measurables over a player like Shea who does whatever he is asked and does it well. Another option who could be a sleeper at this position would be Tank Carder, TCU if he shows the ability to add weight without losing athleticism by the combine. Both of these guys are swiss army knife linebackers with excellent motors and the athleticism to line up both inside and outside with solid results at the next level. Chris Rainey is also an option if still available.

5th Round: Ryan Miller, G, Colorado - My bias pick, went to every Colorado home game this year and Miller was the only constant across a terrible line. Shows great strength to maul in the run game, as well as the athleticism to get position and stop the rush in pass protection. Could be a steal as his supporting cast was terrible and will overshadow how effective he actually was at his position.

6th Round: Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State - With the lack of big bruisers at the RB position, Turbin fits more in the Gore mold and is a hard-nosed runner. Turbin takes over Dixon's spot on the team.

7th Round: Janzen Jackson, FS, McNeese St.- Athletic Freak with allot of baggage. May or may not be available depending on his interviews but worth taking a shot on in the 7th round. Lavon Brazill, WR, Ohio is another option at this spot for his talents as a KR/PR and slot WR... Brazill could please allot of Niners fans by taking Kyle Williams roster spot.

The second round of this mock may be a little delusional, but if a team is calling at the end of the first and no one is there with a 1st round grade on the niners board, it could fall out that way and be the zone's wet dream.
I really don't see Fleener going that low, especially with the Giants and Colts needing a TE.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I really don't see Fleener going that low, especially with the Giants and Colts needing a TE.

this
Originally posted by valrod33:

this

I could see him dropping due to his ankle and then good showings by Allen and Charles. Again im not saying bottom of the second, but around the 45-50th pick, which if he isnt the first TE selected is definately possible.
[ Edited by 5280High on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM ]

this

id go Fleener then Randle for the fact that there's still other recievers on the board if Randle is gone. (Quick, Jones,Hill, Streeter etc)
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by martysofresh:

this

id go Fleener then Randle for the fact that there's still other recievers on the board if Randle is gone. (Quick, Jones,Hill, Streeter etc)

that arent as good
Originally posted by fan49:

this

that arent as good

I honestly think it's gonna come down to who's hotter at that moment. Which is why I stated they could flip flop. This time of the year teams start getting wowed with athleticism. Which is why Randle was the 1st pick, and Fleener the second on the assumption that either Allen or Charles show off their athleticism at the combine which has more drills than a typical proday therefor more time to shine. Fleener will have a good pro-day but could be seen as a lumbering TE compared to say Allen. So it's whether the teams like Indy or the Giants want a Vernon Davis type or a Gronk type.
I think Charles is gonna be the 1st tight end drafted so Fleener in the mid 2nd round is plausible.I would think they need to sign a veteran OLB as well.

this

I would also go Fleener first just because of the depth at WR and the lack of TE. Those would be great trades to pull off but you could just pick Fleener at 30 and then trade up in round 2 if we had to for Randle. Right now people have a lot of TE's and WR's going early in the draft because it's the craze right now but FA will come first and there are many proven WR's who will fill a need before the draft gets here. I think that will make some guys slide in the draft.

I like going hard core on offensive weapons in the draft. It is an aggressive move but it is cheaper for us to Resign Morgan since we didn't get to use him last year and then sign our draft picks. All signs point to resigning our own FA's and maybe Brooks? might be a casualty . Maybe we sign another FA WR but I don't think it's anything big. Braylon came on a cheap one year deal. I think it will be something similar to that. People might be worried about adding legit weapons but we have to be able to afford them. Resigning Morgan and our Def is the most important and then it would be cheaper to sign good offense weapons from the draft because we can get them to an initial 3 year deal at a cheaper rate.

Who knows??? FA will show us our missing pieces though...
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I'd love it to go like this but it's doubtful. This is a reactionary league and "the year of the TE" is going to have the less saavy GMs overdrafting them. I can easily seeing us trade out of the 1st though and in most cases I would totally agree with that.

• KID9R
  • Veteran

Rams, Vikings, Dolphins, Cardinals, Giants yes, Colts no way
Originally posted by KID9R:

Why not the Colts? Give him a weapon he is familiar with
Originally posted by KID9R:

Why wouldn't the Colts go after him? Dallas Clark is getting up there in age, has been injured, and if they do select Andrew Luck, why not supply him with a weapon that he's comfortable with?
Originally posted by TX9R:
I'd love it to go like this but it's doubtful. This is a reactionary league and "the year of the TE" is going to have the less saavy GMs overdrafting them. I can easily seeing us trade out of the 1st though and in most cases I would totally agree with that.

If nobody over drafts Tannehill, I think they trade out of the 30th spot for a team trading up to get him.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by TX9R:

If nobody over drafts Tannehill, I think they trade out of the 30th spot for a team trading up to get him.

This is what I am hoping will happen. swapping a late first for an early second and an additional pick in the 3-4 range would provide some extra ammo for moving around later rounds and target players that may have slipped. For example if we grab Fleener, but then Randles gone by the middle or later second round... Hill, Sanu, Streeter could all be viable options. If Fleener goes before we get a shot at him, then I think the FO starts considering moves to snag their top OLB available.
Share 49ersWebzone