There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers WILL NOT Select A Wide Receiver In The First Round Of The 2012 NFL Draft

  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,331
Sanu and Randle should be there at our pick, but if we can get them in the second round, I'm all for getting the higest rated TE or CB. But, I just don't see it playing out that way.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,334
lmao at the comment about ice. Ice is solid and has been solid. We were the best run defense. Doubt it would hae been the same without him. He is not the main reason he is just part of the reason. if we go dt in first i will throw up from the stupidity
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,687
Originally posted by mayo49:
Sanu and Randle should be there at our pick, but if we can get them in the second round, I'm all for getting the higest rated TE or CB. But, I just don't see it playing out that way.



go niners go!












Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by 5280High:
He wont go WR in the 1st because there will not be good value in the pick unless they trade up for one of the top three... it is that simple.

You....are correct, sir...

...and it is indeed, that simple.


This is precisely why there has been so much discussion in the zone lately about getting a guy like Fleener (or simply the BPA) at the end of the first round....because successful teams get great value from their picks. The Niners have other needs besides the WR position and will look to get the guy that can make the biggest contribution to the team in his first year, regardless of position.

Unless a guy like Randle falls to them at 30 (very unlikely), it seems pretty obvious they won't go for a wideout in the first.


lol Seriously dude? You have no idea who could be there when we pick, we haven't even had the combine yet. I could easily see them picking a WR at 30, like Randle or if a guy like Michael Floyd were to dropI could see the 9ers picking that WR. There is a lot of depth at DT and DE so if teams wanted a guy like that they could have one. Atleast 3 QBs are going to go in the first, and then there are 4 or 5 1st round calibre CBs. Teams always draft OLine too. So you don't know. But if the WR we want isn't there we could just trade back for another 2nd and 3rd or something anyway. I wouldn't mind doing that and getting a CB like Norman and 1 of the WRs in the 2nd.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,331
Originally posted by VDSF:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Sanu and Randle should be there at our pick, but if we can get them in the second round, I'm all for getting the higest rated TE or CB. But, I just don't see it playing out that way.



go niners go!













Originally posted by WillistheWall:
lol Seriously dude? You have no idea who could be there when we pick, we haven't even had the combine yet. I could easily see them picking a WR at 30, like Randle or if a guy like Michael Floyd were to dropI could see the 9ers picking that WR. There is a lot of depth at DT and DE so if teams wanted a guy like that they could have one. Atleast 3 QBs are going to go in the first, and then there are 4 or 5 1st round calibre CBs. Teams always draft OLine too. So you don't know. But if the WR we want isn't there we could just trade back for another 2nd and 3rd or something anyway. I wouldn't mind doing that and getting a CB like Norman and 1 of the WRs in the 2nd.

If we dont have anyone on our board rated as a 1st round pick then I agree Baalke should trade out of the spot for a team looking to grab the last top tier player at X position (like we did with Staley), or maybe a QB needy team wants to jump ahead to grab Tannehill, who knows.

But your right in the wrong way about not knowing what will happen and who could be there when we pick because there is still so much to play out. But all we have as fans is the information currently available... and currently if the top 3 are gone by our pick there is less value at WR then at other positions based on the current projections. Randle only cracks the 1st round if he blows up the combine, Floyd only falls if he gets busted, hell Jeffry could show up with a 6-pack and run high 4.4's low 4.5's and be taken before Wright, Floyd, or Randle... no one knows.

What we know right now is Ashlon's fat, Blackmon & Wright are fighting to be the 1st WR picked, Floyd is still #3 and has seperated himself the rest of the pack and the rest are fighting to be picked after those three. It could all change with one 40 time, an injury during a workout, positive drug test or dui within the next couple months but that info isnt available yet, and until then everyone is gonna have a different equally valid opinion... (unless you dont want Fleener at 30 cause then your just plain wrong, jk)
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
lol Seriously dude? You have no idea who could be there when we pick, we haven't even had the combine yet. I could easily see them picking a WR at 30, like Randle or if a guy like Michael Floyd were to dropI could see the 9ers picking that WR. There is a lot of depth at DT and DE so if teams wanted a guy like that they could have one. Atleast 3 QBs are going to go in the first, and then there are 4 or 5 1st round calibre CBs. Teams always draft OLine too. So you don't know. But if the WR we want isn't there we could just trade back for another 2nd and 3rd or something anyway. I wouldn't mind doing that and getting a CB like Norman and 1 of the WRs in the 2nd.

If we dont have anyone on our board rated as a 1st round pick then I agree Baalke should trade out of the spot for a team looking to grab the last top tier player at X position (like we did with Staley), or maybe a QB needy team wants to jump ahead to grab Tannehill, who knows.

But your right in the wrong way about not knowing what will happen and who could be there when we pick because there is still so much to play out. But all we have as fans is the information currently available... and currently if the top 3 are gone by our pick there is less value at WR then at other positions based on the current projections. Randle only cracks the 1st round if he blows up the combine, Floyd only falls if he gets busted, hell Jeffry could show up with a 6-pack and run high 4.4's low 4.5's and be taken before Wright, Floyd, or Randle... no one knows.

What we know right now is Ashlon's fat, Blackmon & Wright are fighting to be the 1st WR picked, Floyd is still #3 and has seperated himself the rest of the pack and the rest are fighting to be picked after those three. It could all change with one 40 time, an injury during a workout, positive drug test or dui within the next couple months but that info isnt available yet, and until then everyone is gonna have a different equally valid opinion... (unless you dont want Fleener at 30 cause then your just plain wrong, jk)

Yeah that is a lot of what I'm saying. BTW I'm pro Fleener at 30 if he's the BPA. I'm a big fan of Fleener actually,a 6'6'' TE opposite Vern would be amazing. I think Fleener could have the talent of a HOF TE. So if he's there and a better WR isn't I probably pick him. I'm not even sure he'll be there though, he could be a target for a team like Denver or Pittsburgh(ESPECIALLY if they lose Mike Wallace because they're capped out, they will want another option for Big Ben and could copy NE and our 2TE sets).
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by 5280High:
He wont go WR in the 1st because there will not be good value in the pick unless they trade up for one of the top three... it is that simple.

You....are correct, sir...

...and it is indeed, that simple.


This is precisely why there has been so much discussion in the zone lately about getting a guy like Fleener (or simply the BPA) at the end of the first round....because successful teams get great value from their picks. The Niners have other needs besides the WR position and will look to get the guy that can make the biggest contribution to the team in his first year, regardless of position.

Unless a guy like Randle falls to them at 30 (very unlikely), it seems pretty obvious they won't go for a wideout in the first.


lol Seriously dude? You have no idea who could be there when we pick, we haven't even had the combine yet. I could easily see them picking a WR at 30, like Randle or if a guy like Michael Floyd were to dropI could see the 9ers picking that WR. There is a lot of depth at DT and DE so if teams wanted a guy like that they could have one. Atleast 3 QBs are going to go in the first, and then there are 4 or 5 1st round calibre CBs. Teams always draft OLine too. So you don't know. But if the WR we want isn't there we could just trade back for another 2nd and 3rd or something anyway. I wouldn't mind doing that and getting a CB like Norman and 1 of the WRs in the 2nd.


I could see Randle falling to us as well. The more hightlights I watch of this guy the more he grows on me. He's young, only 20 and at 6-4 208 may still have some room to put on more muscle. I could see him topping out at 6-4 225 and being a beast. I worry that if he runs a time in the 4.4's he will rise above the 30th pick. Selfishly, my hope would be that he looks good at the combine, running a time in the 4.5's, while looking good in the agility drills and remains an option for us.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
lol Seriously dude? You have no idea who could be there when we pick, we haven't even had the combine yet. I could easily see them picking a WR at 30, like Randle or if a guy like Michael Floyd were to dropI could see the 9ers picking that WR. There is a lot of depth at DT and DE so if teams wanted a guy like that they could have one. Atleast 3 QBs are going to go in the first, and then there are 4 or 5 1st round calibre CBs. Teams always draft OLine too. So you don't know. But if the WR we want isn't there we could just trade back for another 2nd and 3rd or something anyway. I wouldn't mind doing that and getting a CB like Norman and 1 of the WRs in the 2nd.

If we dont have anyone on our board rated as a 1st round pick then I agree Baalke should trade out of the spot for a team looking to grab the last top tier player at X position (like we did with Staley), or maybe a QB needy team wants to jump ahead to grab Tannehill, who knows.

But your right in the wrong way about not knowing what will happen and who could be there when we pick because there is still so much to play out. But all we have as fans is the information currently available... and currently if the top 3 are gone by our pick there is less value at WR then at other positions based on the current projections. Randle only cracks the 1st round if he blows up the combine, Floyd only falls if he gets busted, hell Jeffry could show up with a 6-pack and run high 4.4's low 4.5's and be taken before Wright, Floyd, or Randle... no one knows.

What we know right now is Ashlon's fat, Blackmon & Wright are fighting to be the 1st WR picked, Floyd is still #3 and has seperated himself the rest of the pack and the rest are fighting to be picked after those three. It could all change with one 40 time, an injury during a workout, positive drug test or dui within the next couple months but that info isnt available yet, and until then everyone is gonna have a different equally valid opinion... (unless you dont want Fleener at 30 cause then your just plain wrong, jk)


That's a good point. Outside of the top three, the Wr rankings are very fluid at this point. The combine will help slot a lot ot those guys. Still, everyone's rankings will be different.
Originally posted by valrod33:
We dont know what the Niners are gonna do with the 1st pick

END THREAD



baalke has drafted need
last year we lost lawson in need for OLB and didnt have a premiere pass rusher.... we took aldin

year before we had a pretty porous o line

trade up for AD and then take iuapti


based on past trends im pretty sure we will take a WR and i wouldnt be surprised to see baalke trade up and grab wright or floyd if one of them drops to around 20
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by 5280High:
He wont go WR in the 1st because there will not be good value in the pick unless they trade up for one of the top three... it is that simple.

You....are correct, sir...

...and it is indeed, that simple.


This is precisely why there has been so much discussion in the zone lately about getting a guy like Fleener (or simply the BPA) at the end of the first round....because successful teams get great value from their picks. The Niners have other needs besides the WR position and will look to get the guy that can make the biggest contribution to the team in his first year, regardless of position.

Unless a guy like Randle falls to them at 30 (very unlikely), it seems pretty obvious they won't go for a wideout in the first.

That argument goes both ways. If we're talking value, we could get a top TE in the 2nd or 3rd also. For example, if Sanu runs and workouts out well, we could take him in the 1st, then come back to CB. A guy like Ladarius Green in the 3rd or Egnew in the 3rd-4th range would be excellent value.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
baalke has drafted need
last year we lost lawson in need for OLB and didnt have a premiere pass rusher.... we took aldin

year before we had a pretty porous o line

trade up for AD and then take iuapti


based on past trends im pretty sure we will take a WR and i wouldnt be surprised to see baalke trade up and grab wright or floyd if one of them drops to around 20

I have a feeling the team will make a play for Floyd if we don't get a FA. His game fits our needs perfectly. If I had to pick the standout WR from this class, he'd be my choice.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I could see Randle falling to us as well. The more hightlights I watch of this guy the more he grows on me. He's young, only 20 and at 6-4 208 may still have some room to put on more muscle. I could see him topping out at 6-4 225 and being a beast. I worry that if he runs a time in the 4.4's he will rise above the 30th pick. Selfishly, my hope would be that he looks good at the combine, running a time in the 4.5's, while looking good in the agility drills and remains an option for us.

I agree. I'm really liking Randle, he was under-utilized in their offense, the only concern I have has been the checkered past of some LSU WR's. Remember Craig "Buster" Davis who was drafted in the late 1st round by the Chargers a few years ago? Total bust-city.
Originally posted by strickac:
I have a feeling the team will make a play for Floyd if we don't get a FA. His game fits our needs perfectly. If I had to pick the standout WR from this class, he'd be my choice.

Don't want any part of Floyd, guy smells like a bust, just like Jeffery.


Rather than make a questionable pick on a guy like him, the 49ers could go with BPA and then pick a receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round as there will be plenty of talented guys who present great value in the later rounds.