LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

49ers WILL NOT Select A Wide Receiver In The First Round Of The 2012 NFL Draft

• VDSF
  • Veteran
The 49ers' most glaring weakness is obvious even to the most naked of eyes, they need recievers. They've needed receivers, and most experts and fans alike expect a first round draft pick to be spent on one without hesitation. But Bill Walsh once said, "You don't solve the receiver problem until everything else is fixed."

Coach of the Year Jim Harbaugh has been compared to Walsh again and again due to his quick success with San Francisco and Stanford ties. But it is the management of Trent Baalke that most compares to the legendary coach. Many people fail to realize that Walsh was not only a coach, but a general manager in his time with the Niners. In the 13 seasons he spent as the Niners head coach and general manager, Walsh used one first- or second-round pick on a wide receiver.

That one pick? After just dominating the Dolphins in the Super Bowl by 22 points(i.e. everything else fixed), San Francisco traded up in the draft to select Jerry Rice… so that worked pretty well.

In his 18 draft picks, Baalke has taken two wide receivers, both sixth-round picks in Kyle Williams and Ronald Johnson (2010 and 2011 respectively). So it would seem he has adopted Walsh's mantra.

Going all-in on a first or second round reciever has not worked for the 49ers. Since 1995, the Niners have used three first-round picks on wide receivers, netting two busts and one question mark: J.J. Stokes (1995), Rashaun Woods (2004) and Michael Crabtree (2009).

The 49ers main focus in the 2012 offseason will be in free agency. And they won't be looking far.

Should the Niners fail to re-sign CB Carlos Rogers, then cornerback will be a major area that needs addressing. There are not many free agent cornerbacks out there so a first round choice may very well be used here should Rogers leave.

OLB Ahmad Brooks has had a decent career in San Francisco, but he will most likely be left out of the re-signing priorities. Should Brooks be let go, the Niners will be looking to find the next Aldon Smith. Look for Smith to become a full-time starter, while a new rookie or free agent takes over for OLB Pary Haralson on situational passing plays, filling in for what Smith did last season.

DT Isaac Sopoaga had a good season with San Francisco in 2011, but he is quickly becoming the weakest link in what has become a steel chain of a defensive line with perennial pro-bowler Justin Smith and a rising stalwart in Ray McDonald. Baalke and Harbaugh may be looking to draft a DT to replace or split time with Sopoaga to make the line even stronger.

The 49ers are not known for being big players in the free agency and are even less known for spending big money on it. Many of the names being thrown around are Chiefs' WR Dwayne Bowe, Chargers' WR Vincent Jackson, and Giants' WR Mario Manningham. But in order to land one of these big fish, the 49ers will have to spend, leaving less money to re-sign current players and potential draft picks.

Link...
We dont know what the Niners are gonna do with the 1st pick

END THREAD
Originally posted by valrod33:
We dont know what the Niners are gonna do with the 1st pick

END THREAD

This
  • sfout
  • Veteran
lmao Coby Fleener at 30 or we trade back

/thread
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for midrdan.
It is an interesting blog, and a point of view that I tend to agree with. Baalke will draft BPA in the first round, even if that means selecting a position that is not a glaring need like WR. However I do think the team will sign a FA receiver. Most likely not the top names, but I could see them signing Meachem or Garcon. I could live with Meachem, Morgan, and Crabtree, resign Ginn as the returner, and a later round pick (or two) for depth.
Stupid article and stupid title.
When did Trent Baalke start writing articles?
People need to stop comparing us to the old niners teams and Harbaugh to Walsh. Different Eras
He wont go WR in the 1st because there will not be good value in the pick unless they trade up for one of the top three... its that simple.
I agree that we wont draft a WR in the first round, but I fail to see how Sopoaga has "quickly become the weakest link on the D line." He had a dominating season for NT and now he has to start splitting time? We even have good depth there with RJF in my opinion.

Originally posted by sfout:
lmao Coby Fleener at 30 or we trade back

/thread

Or a cornerback. After the combine Josh Norman could legitimately move up to the early 2nd round, he'd be a good choice, very physical, agile CB, runs and defends like a CB, is built like a safety.
Originally posted by 5280High:
He wont go WR in the 1st because there will not be good value in the pick unless they trade up for one of the top three... its that simple.

This. Randle might be well worth it but if he runs a 4.4, he'll be gone before the 49ers pick. In that case, you can go and pick a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round and get even better value considering the talent that will be available in the middle rounds.
If Kendall Wright makes it to 25, I would trade up for him. Would require a 1st and 3rd.

Agreed. 9ers have been burned a few times picking WRs in the 1st round. I like the idea of reinforcing the defense with a 1st or 2nd........
He wont go WR in the 1st because there will not be good value in the pick unless they trade up for one of the top three... it is that simple.

You....are correct, sir...

...and it is indeed, that simple.

This is precisely why there has been so much discussion in the zone lately about getting a guy like Fleener (or simply the BPA) at the end of the first round....because successful teams get great value from their picks. The Niners have other needs besides the WR position and will look to get the guy that can make the biggest contribution to the team in his first year, regardless of position.

Unless a guy like Randle falls to them at 30 (very unlikely), it seems pretty obvious they won't go for a wideout in the first.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone