Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Just saw this on espn...

San Francisco 49ers
Top needs: RG, WR, S, CB, RB, OLB

Rd 1 (30) G Kevin Zeitler Rd 2 (61) WR Rueben Randle Rd 3 (92) DT Mike Martin

Analysis: Well, I know 49ers fans won't jump up and down about the guard pick, but let's be clear about San Francisco. Regardless who it adds in the passing game, it's clear to all that Alex Smith isn't going to become Aaron Rodgers, and if this team wants to be successful on offense, it simply has to be able to run the ball, and with power. In many years, Zeitler would be the top guard taken. He will come in capable of starting. I'm also really tempted by WR Stephen Hill in this spot. But instead of that, I get a nice value in the passing game with Randle, a guy with good size capable of stretching the field, late in Round 2. If Randy Moss provides something in 2012, Randle could develop late as a threat and then become a starter in 2013. Martin is insurance for the 49ers because Justin Smith played at such an incredible level in 2011 that the thought of him being injured should scare San Francisco. If Martin plays with Smith's motor, he could develop into a good 3-technique in that scheme.

Couple thoughts- Randle will be long gone before 61. Martin is going to be a 43 DT in the NFL. Don't thnk he has the frame to play NT or length to play the end. Not a good match for a 34 defense.

Yeah but one could have said that Ray McDonald's strengths were also more geared to 4-3 DT.