LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

National Football Post - 1/30 mock

Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
If it goes down like that, that would be pretty cool. I was under the impression that Wright would be gone in the 20s, but he's honestly the only WR I would want ahead of Fleener at this point (that includes Blackmon, aka: Crabtree 2.0). I don't know anything about the intangibles on the kid (study habits, work ethic, love for the game, attitude, interaction w/teammates), but his tangibles are great!

U want Fleener over Blackmon? I want what you're smoking

I just don't get the vibe that Blackmon is the type of guy that is going to adjust well when he can't dominate w/superior talent. Dez manages to continue getting by w/talent, but he is more talented than Blackmon. Crab was supposed to be this trancendent talent, but he never adjusted to the increased talent at the NFL by honing his route-running. I don't think Blackmon offers much that Crab doesn't. Go look at the old scouting reports. Reach, hands, timing, positioning, strength, balance, agility, agressively snatches the ball, explosive burst out of breaks compensating for lack of elite speed... it's all the same stuff. People were comparing Crab to Fitz, for crying out loud! The draft brings hope, and we always over-exagerate the new posibilities. Blackmon is THE TRUTH because he is the best in a deep, but unspectacular class. In my opinion, he is a very good athlete w/good hands and balance that is exceptional in neither size nor speed (ie: Crabtree). Just my opinion, I could be wrong, but yeah, that's why I'd prefer Fleener. The guy (Fleener) is a great athlete w/comparable speed to Blackmon (prob a little slower, but not terribly) and hands, and he has elite height and a disciplined game. If the Niners draft Blackmon and he's awesome, I'll eat crow. Of course, they'll never catch a sniff of Blackmon, so meh.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
5'10" 190 lbs.......

Jeffery is 6'4" 230 or something like that, right?

you call the amount, I'll put down the money on Wright putting up better numbers right off the bat

That doesn't change the fact that we need bigger targets on this team. Brees is throwing to 6'7" 265 lb. targets. I don't see guys like that on this team.

You don't notice a difference in the QB throwing to Wright vs. the QB throwing to Jeffery?.... Not saying I want Jeffery btw. Just saying.
A lot of people are mocking us Wright or Sanu. Seen a few with Cordy Glenn.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Really going to need Kendall Wright to start beating up on some women for this to happen.

A friend told me that Kendall Wright smoked weed quite a bit in college. Feel free to tell 20 of your friends.

LMFAO
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wright will be gone to either the Jets, Bears or Browns, I also wouldn't doubt it if the Bills at #10 picked him if they lose Steve Johnson. But lasting all the way to the 30th pick..no way.

Just my opinion...it's a tricky proposition to say "no way this or that will happen" when it comes to the draft, especially when we're discussing things in late January. I mean, we pretty much know where/when the top 3-5 guys will be going, but everything else is a total crapshoot. The closer we get to the draft, the assumptions get a little tigher and more accurate, but even then, we really don't know...especially for a guy who is considered (right now) a top 15-25 talent like Wright.

I would say you're right Ghost, but add the fact that Wright could potentially run a 4.3 at the Combine and during private workouts like OTC says and that adds up to a top 10-15 selection for this kid. Let's hope something keeps his grades down for whatever reason so the Niners have a shot at him in the late first.

Thee only hope that we have of getting Wright is if two or three teams who take a wide receiver pass on him because of his height, or the lack of height.

I actually could see this happening. If the receivers are drafted in following order, Wright would fall to us.

1, Justin Blackmon
2. Michael Floyd
3. Mohamed Sanu
4.*Alshon Jeffery
5. Kendall Wright
Originally posted by vrabbit:
5'10" 190 lbs.......

Jeffery is 6'4" 230 or something like that, right?

you call the amount, I'll put down the money on Wright putting up better numbers right off the bat

That doesn't change the fact that we need bigger targets on this team. Brees is throwing to 6'7" 265 lb. targets. I don't see guys like that on this team.

You don't notice a difference in the QB throwing to Wright vs. the QB throwing to Jeffery?.... Not saying I want Jeffery btw. Just saying.

Big receiver would definitely be nice, but it doesn't mean guys like Wright won't succeed.

See: Steve Smith (5-9 185), 5th in receiving yards with 1394. Or Welker (5-9 185) 2nd in receiving yards with 1569. Antonio Brown (5-10 186) was 15th with 1100+ yards.

The receiver that can get open, regardless of size, is what people are recognizing these days. There are some things that smaller guys can do that Big guys can't and vice versa obviously. I just want a consistent threat to get open. You can get open, you can make a play.

As I have said many times however, I do agree it would be great to have a receiver so big that he's "open" whether covered or not.
If Floyd is still there at 26 I think that tradin up to get him may be our best bet.
It's clear that we need both, a big WR and a deep threat. IMO, the ideal scenario is signing Vincent Jackson and drafting a speed guy early (Kendall Wright or Joe Adams or Chris Rainey or Jarius Wright) and a development WR later.

My deal and fairly realistic WR corps:

- Vincent Jackson (FA): Big-play WR with size and speed
- Michael Crabtree: possession WR who can still get better/more consistent
- Josh Morgan (FA): re-sign to a reasonable contract, 3rd WR
- Kyle Williams - 4th WR, KR, just keep him away from punt returns
- Joe Adams (R) - main punt returner/gadget guy
- LaRon Byrd (R) - practice squad, development WR
Anything is possible but I'm doubtful.

I feel we could use 2 WR a speedster like Hunter, and a BIG target with speed and good hands. Maybe a FA WR like Cholston/Bowe and 2 more in the draft. A speedster and a guy like McNutt. Keep Morgan and trade Crabs for a 3rd to Dallas then use it on McNutt.

I know it's not reality but what the heck.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
It's clear that we need both, a big WR and a deep threat. IMO, the ideal scenario is signing Vincent Jackson and drafting a speed guy early (Kendall Wright or Joe Adams or Chris Rainey or Jarius Wright) and a development WR later.

My deal and fairly realistic WR corps:

- Vincent Jackson (FA): Big-play WR with size and speed
- Michael Crabtree: possession WR who can still get better/more consistent
- Josh Morgan (FA): re-sign to a reasonable contract, 3rd WR
- Kyle Williams - 4th WR, KR, just keep him away from punt returns
- Joe Adams (R) - main punt returner/gadget guy
- LaRon Byrd (R) - practice squad, development WR

I have another idea that is very similar, that I'll be putting out in the next mock.

Share 49ersWebzone