There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Drafting a TE This Year: Why it Would Possibly Be a GREAT Move

Originally posted by sfout:
Completely agree. If we re-sign Rogers we need a guy to compete with Brock for the #4 CB. Not a starter and even if we lost Rogers the team clearly thinks Culliver could start as soon next season meaning we could still be looking for a #3/#4 guy. We don't need a high end CB, which is kind of depressing because I love Casey Hayward in the 2nd/3rd round, not as fast as cully but he could be an excellent nickel back.

Walterfootball thinks Juron Criner WR has boosted his stock into the the near 2nd round status with his performance at the senior bowl practice. He could be the best available receiver at the end of round 2.

1. Fleener
2. Criner
3. Audie Cole(OLB depth)
4. Jordan White(receiver/PR)
5. Omar Bolden(CB depth)
6. Jerrell Young(FS depth)
7. Montori Hughes(DL depth)

This = pure win.

Find a way to get Kendall Reyes in there and it's all good. That guy is going to be a beast, he's got a non-stop motor, lots of power and would make for a damn good 3-4 end. Imagine being able to rotate that guy in and out throughout the game, keep Justin and Ray fresh....would make the DL even more monstrous.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Completely agree. If we re-sign Rogers we need a guy to compete with Brock for the #4 CB. Not a starter and even if we lost Rogers the team clearly thinks Culliver could start as soon next season meaning we could still be looking for a #3/#4 guy. We don't need a high end CB, which is kind of depressing because I love Casey Hayward in the 2nd/3rd round, not as fast as cully but he could be an excellent nickel back.

Walterfootball thinks Juron Criner WR has boosted his stock into the the near 2nd round status with his performance at the senior bowl practice. He could be the best available receiver at the end of round 2.

1. Fleener
2. Criner
3. Audie Cole(OLB depth)
5. Omar Bolden(CB depth)

This = pure win.

Find a way to get Kendall Reyes in there and it's all good. That guy is going to be a beast, he's got a non-stop motor, lots of power and would make for a damn good 3-4 end. Imagine being able to rotate that guy in and out throughout the game, keep Justin and Ray fresh....would make the DL even more monstrous.

They think Reyes had a good week as well, theoretically I could just insert Reyes into my #5 spot and push down my #4 and 5 picks to 6 and 7 and it would work. That way Reyes replaces Hughes.
They think Reyes had a good week as well, theoretically I could just insert Reyes into my #5 spot and push down my #4 and 5 picks to 6 and 7 and it would work. That way Reyes replaces Hughes.

Reyes isn't going any lower than the 4th round. I'd love for the 49ers to try and get him in the 3rd. A powerful guy with a non-stop motor, that would be the future replacement for Justin Smith right there and as a part-time player would have time to develop and get better while making this defense even tougher.

Tony Jerod-Edie is another good 3-4 DE prospect who should be able in rounds 5-6 as well.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM ]

1. Fleener
2. Criner
3. Audie Cole(OLB depth)
5. Omar Bolden(CB depth)

This = pure win.

Not to nitpick, but Criner in the 2nd would be downright shocking considering his character, injury history, inflated numbers due to system, and other physical limitations. I would be very upset if we spent anymore than a 3rd on him.
[ Edited by vrabbit on Jan 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

1. Fleener
2. Criner
3. Audie Cole(OLB depth)
5. Omar Bolden(CB depth)

This = pure win.

Not to nitpick, but Criner in the 2nd would be downright shocking considering his character, injury history, inflated numbers due to system, and other physical limitations. I would be very upset if we spent anymore than a 3rd on him.

word. I'm just going off the stupid stock reports, just tossed it out there. I highly doubt he goes in #2 either.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

1. Fleener
2. Criner
3. Audie Cole(OLB depth)
5. Omar Bolden(CB depth)

This = pure win.

word. I'm just going off the stupid stock reports, just tossed it out there. I highly doubt he goes in #2 either.

At the same time, I greatly agree that the perceptions that we need a starting CB immediately are overblown. With the team having strong confidence in Brown and then expecting Culliver to start soon, we have three starter-worthy corners according to our coaches. We only need potential FUTURE starters who can provide super-strong depth. Basically, we really don't need to look at CB early. BPA will take precedent, but I think we could wait til the 4th round or later, while addressing OL, WR, DL and/or OLB in the earlier rounds.
I'm thinking it's going to be Fleener. Get someone Jim Harbaugh knows who is 6 6, we need a big target and you know harbaugh likes TE's. So I think he drafts one in the first round and Fleener looks like a good fit there.
[ Edited by Oldschool9erfan on Jan 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM ]
I love mismatches.

Could you imagine a team seeing our three TEs in the huddle, think that we are going jumbo/goalline, then the TEs line up at WR and then a safety or a LINEBACKER has to guard them? We saw the results of that in the NFC Championship Game when Vernon lined up wide and ended up blowing past his defenders (both playing safety, if I'm not mistaken).

I'm all for it!
  • kush
  • Veteran
Welcome aboard the TE bandwagon, OTC, I'm glad you see what some of us have been talking about!

As for Criner in the 2nd, the idea seems to be picking up a lot of steam. It's not all that crazy to expect him to go 2nd round if he's around 4.55 in the 40 imo.
If there isn't a WR that Baalke thinks is good enough for us with our first round pick, I would be happen to land someone like Fleener.
How about Fleener and Green?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
How about Fleener and Green?

I've suggested this before. Green is the exact same size as Calvin Johnson(No I'm not comparing him to CJ) but what that tells me is that Green is actually lean enough to make the transition to WR.

VD - Walker - Fleener - Reuland/Byham

Colston/Bowe - Crabtree - Morgan - Green - Ginn

Imagine a TE/WR group like that
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Welcome aboard the TE bandwagon, OTC, I'm glad you see what some of us have been talking about!

As for Criner in the 2nd, the idea seems to be picking up a lot of steam. It's not all that crazy to expect him to go 2nd round if he's around 4.55 in the 40 imo.

Nice post
I'm totally fine with drafting Fleener. We need a 6'6" target. Everybody else has one. IMO Walker is overrated on this board. He is 6'0" and fast. But his hands are very inconsistent. Look at Jimmy Graham from N.O. They just chuck it up in the air and expect him to come down with it. And he does a lot of the time. What target like that do we have? I'd say Fleener is the #2 TE and Walker is #3. Fleener has better hands and is much taller and longer. Also underrated for speed IMO. Fleener is pretty quick. It goes without saying he already knows the offensive system and coaching. That makes him game ready day one.

However with the success of TE's it's a copycap league. It's possible Fleener isn't even available at #30. We may have to trade up a few slots. IMO it's worth it. This team no longer needs depth. We are a few players away. FA top tier WR and Fleener at TE and we are dangerous. I would try to get this done.