LISTEN: What's Stopping The 49ers From A Super Bowl Run? →

There are 125 users in the forums

Drafting a TE This Year: Why it Would Possibly Be a GREAT Move

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Only if one of the top WRs is not available. Maybe TE in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, not sure about 1st.

Elite tight end>>>>>average WR.

6'6", 240, 4.6 40 vs 6'1, 205, 4.5 40.

we already have an elite TE id rather have a decent #1 WR now

If Fleener is projected to be an all-pro, then of course take him. But otherwise, there are a couple of very good looking TE's in round 3 or rd 4. Both have stats and measureables equal to Fleener:
Michael Egnew 6-6 / 245 lbs / 4.60 40
. . . Career: 147 catches 1332 yards 8 TD's
Ladarius Green 6-6 / 230 lbs / 4.65 40
. . . Career: 149 catches 2201 yards 22 TD's
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I like the idea, but I'm not crazy about it for couple reasons.

1) Harbaugh is a run-first guy. He was at Stanfurd with Andrew Luck and couple good TEs, and he will be with Niners. So, even if we have two good TEs, they will not put up stats like the Pats TEs. Harbaugh used the TEs in the run game first, and then as a threat in the passing game.That's his MO - he likes the power running game to set up the passing.

2) Bellichek is the complete opposite. He relies on the passing game, he did before he got the TEs, and he does it now. The biggest reason Pats have the highest production from their two TEs sets is because they have a guy who is best in business at running under-neath routes in Welker. Take away Welker and I bet both Hernandez and Gronk won't be setting records.

What we really need is a dominating RG and a Center to build the running game, and add a WR who fits WCO - like Bowe. We have two good TEs, but we lack a WR who will command double teams on 60-70% of passing plays and keep the safety out of the box. Then we can use Davis and Walker more effectively in the passing and the running game with the space created in the middle.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM ]
Commenting late on this but I would be ok if we got a big tall TE who can help us out in the red zone and on 3rd downs. We hardly ever run 3 WRs anyways. More two TE sets or even 3 in our case. That's if we don't feel like going all out on the WRs this year. Walker is a free agent after this year. He's a solid all around player but he isn't the receiving threat that some make him out to be. He's solid for a #2 but we can do a lot better. Even if that makes Walker a 3rd blocking TE who would be more of a receiving threat than Peele this year. I think Alex feels more comfortable with the TE's anyways. They are miss matches, they get better separation, and more reliable in our case. If not I am fine with that too. We can't be any worse than this year. Just re-signing Morgan alone gives Alex a comfortable target. If we go the WR route then I am comfortable with Davis, Walker and Peele/Byham/Reuland.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

we already have an elite TE id rather have a decent #1 WR now

This.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 30, 2012 at 4:31 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I like the idea, but I'm not crazy about it for couple reasons.

1) Harbaugh is a run-first guy. He was at Stanfurd with Andrew Luck and couple good TEs, and he will be with Niners. So, even if we have two good TEs, they will not put up stats like the Pats TEs. Harbaugh used the TEs in the run game first, and then as a threat in the passing game.That's his MO - he likes the power running game to set up the passing.

2) Bellichek is the complete opposite. He relies on the passing game, he did before he got the TEs, and he does it now. The biggest reason Pats have the highest production from their two TEs sets is because they have a guy who is best in business at running under-neath routes in Welker. Take away Welker and I bet both Hernandez and Gronk won't be setting records.

What we really need is a dominating RG and a Center to build the running game, and add a WR who fits WCO - like Bowe. We have two good TEs, but we lack a WR who will command double teams on 60-70% of passing plays and keep the safety out of the box. Then we can use Davis and Walker more effectively in the passing and the running game with the space created in the middle.

I don't disagree with this. I think there is just more than one way to accomplish success, and this is just another one of them. We could certainly do this.
Another question is whether Morgan has more of Smith's confidence to throw him open. I feel right now that Smith only has confidence in VD. I think that Smith feels that if he throws to Crabs that Crabs will not fight for the ball so unless Crabs is clearly open Smith is not going to throw it. So I am hoping for a couple of WRs, or a TE and WR that will fight for junk balls. To go down to the ground to catch a ball, or stretch out to catch an overthrown ball until Smith can develop some chemistry with those receivers. I think VD, and Morgan have a confident relationship with Smith. I think Crabs will only go up to catch a ball but not to the ground and not stretch out. I think K. Williams was beginning to develop that relationship and then lost it when he got injured. D. Walker is unpredictable and therefore uncomfortable for Smith to throw him open. So I am hoping that this offseason Smith can get some support in the WR arena, or a TE like Fleener, Green or whoever it may be.

I also hope that we do not forget the olines need for a RG/C. That is where the rub is going to come. BPA at #30. If Konz is there, can we get him, Fleener/Green, and Adams, and Curry and the rest of the players we need. This is going to be an exciting off season.
Fleener...book it!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Interesting premise, but drafting Fleener in the first? Seems like a reach to me, but anything is possible. Byham is the wild card in this whole scenario. If he comes back healthy, he is definitely a better blocker than Peele and would free Walker to get more involved as a pass catcher to create mismatches. Byham also showed decent hands last year, so that doesn't hurt either.

I agree with that. I had said last week I would love to have Fleener in the second round, but honestly, I'm not sure if he will be there when we pick. I saw one interesting mock that had the Colts taking Luck in the 1st and Fleener in the 2nd. IF they drop Manning, then that actually makes a lot of sense. Give the rookie QB a target - and in this case, one he is already familiar with.
WR, not TE, is where our biggest need is. Simple as that. If we draft anything other than a WR in the first I'll be worried (unless we pickup Colston in FA). A TE pick in the first is a luxury we don't have.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Interesting premise, but drafting Fleener in the first? Seems like a reach to me, but anything is possible. Byham is the wild card in this whole scenario. If he comes back healthy, he is definitely a better blocker than Peele and would free Walker to get more involved as a pass catcher to create mismatches. Byham also showed decent hands last year, so that doesn't hurt either.

I agree with that. I had said last week I would love to have Fleener in the second round, but honestly, I'm not sure if he will be there when we pick. I saw one interesting mock that had the Colts taking Luck in the 1st and Fleener in the 2nd. IF they drop Manning, then that actually makes a lot of sense. Give the rookie QB a target - and in this case, one he is already familiar with.

I guess Dallas Clark is chop liver?

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
WR, not TE, is where our biggest need is. Simple as that. If we draft anything other than a WR in the first I'll be worried (unless we pickup Colston in FA). A TE pick in the first is a luxury we don't have.

So you are saying the Niners should draft a WR in the first all costs, even if it is a reach and not the best player available? As has been stated over and over again, Harbaugh uses 2 TE sets more than any other set and often puts TE's out at WR.

People thought the Patriots were crazy when they spent two pretty high picks on Gronk and Hernandez when they needed a WR also. Not so crazy anymore.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by RDB4216:

With the Spread system they run, Clark -- who already plays hybrid TE/WR -- could be a monster paired with Fleener. They could be the next Gronk/Hernandez.

Wayne - Fleener (left) and Clark - Garcon (right)

Agree to disagree, dude. The absolute statements you make are still just your opinion, by the way. I would agree with the OPINION that our greatest need is a playmaker in the passing game, I just think there are several different ways to skin that cat.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

No, but he will be 33 when the season starts, and he's missed 15 games over the last two seasons. He's also due to make $4.53 million next year. Their thinking was if they let Manning go, the Colts might release Clark too in a cost-cutting move, and just start fresh.

This is sort of logic is how teams end up with busts and nothing to show for their draft pick. How would you feel if in 2 years the 49ers passed up Rob Gronkowski V2.0 for Rashaun Woods v2.0. WR isn't a need, playmakers on offense is a need, whether that playmaker is a WR or TE is irrelevant, in this case a big physical tight-end is a better red-zone threat and a bigger matchup problem for teams that are seldom prepared to deal with one top tight-end, let alone two.
Share 49ersWebzone