There are 229 users in the forums

:::OFFICiAL::: 2012 NFL SCOUTING COMBINE THREAD

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
DB Notes:
The Good:
-Josh Robinson, Central Florida, 5'10 199lbs, 4.33 40 was the best physical prospect.
-Claiborne and Kirpatrick did as expected
-Janoris Jenkins ran a 4.4 40
-Ron Brooks of LSU ran a 4.37 40, should be late round pick now, a guy that never started at LSU but may have been a gem playing behind some outstanding corners
-Stephen Gilmore had the 2nd best combine, checked in at 6 foot and ran a 4.44 40, pretty impressive
-Coty Sensabaugh, Clemson, checked in at 5'11, ran a 4.42 40, late bloomer, should have punched his draft ticket for a late rounder
-Dwight Bentley, Louisiana Laffayette, checked in at 5'10 and ran a 4.43 40. A zone corner.

The Bad:
-Cliff Harris killed his stock, 4.64 40.
-Micah Pellerin of Hampton, popular sleeper, ran a 4.61 40
-Another popular sleeper, Josh Norman, ran a 4.66 40
-Casey Hayward ran a 4.57 40, I'd actually say its slightly better then expected
-Alfonzo Denard checked in at 5'10, 204 lbs (a lot for a corner), and a 4.55 40.

Do you think Denard could transition to safety instead? Still, as long as he runs a little faster at his pro day I'd still think he's draftable. Cliff Harris pretty much killed himself today. What round would you project for some of these guys now? Ron Brooks?(who played quite a bit this year when they would move Tyrann Matheiu around)

no, he's simply a system CB but a good one at that, cover 2, press CB, GM's need to be smart when picking him, but in the right system he'll be pretty good IMO

He kind of reminds me of Nate Clements. He was good in his soph and junior years, I have no idea why he kind of regressed this year and then ran slow other than he had a few injuries. But it's kind of dissapointing. Do you think he could be a good fit for us??? We play a lot of man though so I dunno...

don't see Baalke targetting that guy unless he gets good value if he falls
Originally posted by vrabbit:
DB Notes:
The Good:
-Josh Robinson, Central Florida, 5'10 199lbs, 4.33 40 was the best physical prospect.
-Ron Brooks of LSU ran a 4.37 40, should be late round pick now, a guy that never started at LSU but may have been a gem playing behind some outstanding corners
-Stephen Gilmore had the 2nd best combine, checked in at 6 foot and ran a 4.44 40, pretty impressive
-Coty Sensabaugh, Clemson, checked in at 5'11, ran a 4.42 40, late bloomer, should have punched his draft ticket for a late rounder
-Dwight Bentley, Louisiana Laffayette, checked in at 5'10 and ran a 4.43 40. A zone corner.

The Bad:
-Casey Hayward ran a 4.57 40, I'd actually say its slightly better then expected
-Alfonzo Denard checked in at 5'10, 204 lbs (a lot for a corner), and a 4.55 40.

Do you think Denard could transition to safety instead? Still, as long as he runs a little faster at his pro day I'd still think he's draftable. Cliff Harris pretty much killed himself today. What round would you project for some of these guys now? Ron Brooks?(who played quite a bit this year when they would move Tyrann Matheiu around)

no, he's simply a system CB but a good one at that, cover 2, press CB, GM's need to be smart when picking him, but in the right system he'll be pretty good IMO

He kind of reminds me of Nate Clements. He was good in his soph and junior years, I have no idea why he kind of regressed this year and then ran slow other than he had a few injuries. But it's kind of dissapointing. Do you think he could be a good fit for us??? We play a lot of man though so I dunno...

I'm personally not a fan of Dennard. Wouldn't mind taking a shot at Ron Brooks though. Maybe a 5th rounder? I dunno, I think projecting players in the later rounds is really just a matter of opinion. 1st-2nd rounders there seems to be objective consensus, but after that its totally up to the GM's eye. And to me its not about "value" with your picks, its about taking guys you believe will work. For example, Dennard might be a good "value" late in the 2nd, but you just don't take him based on that "value", you take a guy that you want and believe in. "Value" is the consensus of the "experts", but at the end of the day you gotta make a pick you can stand by.

Look at the corner we took from South Carolina. No one had him as a 3rd rounder, but our GM looked at his size, work outs, and the fact that was a 2nd team SEC selection at safety and with only 1 year at corner in his senior season. In hindsight it was a brilliant pick IMO, but the experts thought it was a "reach."

Every year it seems like there are surprise picks in the 3rd that seem to be made mostly on a player's athleticism. Last year we took the corner in the 3rd and the RB in the 4th who both had outstanding combines. So I think its a safe bet our GM is willing to throw the "consensus" out the window, draft athletes, and let the coaches teach them football.

Edit:
And some key corners did not run:
Chase Minnifield - probably around a 2nd rounder at the moment, meaning his 40 time could really change his value IMO
Omar Bolden - right now a late rounder, but if he can post a good 40 could be a mid rounder
Brandon Boykin - because he is only 5'9, he will fall in the draft even though he is a good player. Without a great 40, he will REALLY drop.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Feb 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM ]
I'm personally not a fan of Dennard. Wouldn't mind taking a shot at Ron Brooks though. Maybe a 5th rounder? I dunno, I think projecting players in the later rounds is really just a matter of opinion. 1st-2nd rounders there seems to be objective consensus, but after that its totally up to the GM's eye. And to me its not about "value" with your picks, its about taking guys you believe will work. For example, Dennard might be a good "value" late in the 2nd, but you just don't take him based on that "value", you take a guy that you want and believe in. "Value" is the consensus of the "experts", but at the end of the day you gotta make a pick you can stand by.

Look at the corner we took from South Carolina. No one had him as a 3rd rounder, but our GM looked at his size, work outs, and the fact that was a 2nd team SEC selection at safety and with only 1 year at corner in his senior season. In hindsight it was a brilliant pick IMO, but the experts thought it was a "reach."

Every year it seems like there are surprise picks in the 3rd that seem to be made mostly on a player's athleticism. Last year we took the corner in the 3rd and the RB in the 4th who both had outstanding combines. So I think its a safe bet our GM is willing to throw the "consensus" out the window, draft athletes, and let the coaches teach them football.

Edit:
And some key corners did not run:
Chase Minnifield - probably around a 2nd rounder at the moment, meaning his 40 time could really change his value IMO
Omar Bolden - right now a late rounder, but if he can post a good 40 could be a mid rounder
Brandon Boykin - because he is only 5'9, he will fall in the draft even though he is a good player. Without a great 40, he will REALLY drop.

Actually, I projected Culliver to go 80th overall, and he went...80th overall. One of the few times the planets aligned.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Actually, I projected Culliver to go 80th overall, and he went...80th overall. One of the few times the planets aligned.

haha, nice.

haha, nice.

I wasn't too far behind as well. I projected him to go 90th overall.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

haha, nice.

maddog wins by fatality.
DB Notes:
The Good:

The Bad:

I am still waiting to see Golden's results when he does his pro-day, but I would like to select a CB later in the draft, and the two guys I've had interest in the most (one more recently has grown on me) are Robert Golden and Ron Brooks. Brooks has football in his blood, and we could always use more speed in the backfield.

Golden strikes me as a very explosive player that, if developed, will be a starter or heavy contributor in the future. Cut down on his propensity to gamble, and you've got a technically sound DB who could do good things for a team.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Well, folks another year has gone by and another Combine has come and gone. That you for participating and everyone have a good night.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

haha, nice.

maddog wins by fatality.

Not to beat my chest or anything, but....

It has been another extraordinary draft, and was a crazy ride along the way. In a very abbreviated review of who had the most draft selections in the 254 draft, it appears that OTC once again pinned the MadDog for the second straight year, and once again beat every single draft prognosticator in the business. Yours truly coming in second once again. OTC is the draft king. At some point, when I can reclaim some bit of time from the universe, I hope to do a complete review for my records.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/154437-maddogs-final-wrap-grade-niners/search=OTC

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
whoa. where's ur mock for this year?

Waiting until after the combine to work all the numbers in, reshuffle, and post up a projection board. So over the next couple of weeks. Something should be posted before the start of Free Agency.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 28, 2012 at 4:02 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

Waiting until after the combine to work all the numbers in, reshuffle, and post up a projection board. So over the next couple of weeks. Something should be posted before the start of Free Agency.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Well, folks another year has gone by and another Combine has come and gone. That you for participating and everyone have a good night.

Maybe next year you could run the 40 for us as well

haha, nice.

maddog wins by fatality.

Not to beat my chest or anything, but....

It has been another extraordinary draft, and was a crazy ride along the way. In a very abbreviated review of who had the most draft selections in the 254 draft, it appears that OTC once again pinned the MadDog for the second straight year, and once again beat every single draft prognosticator in the business. Yours truly coming in second once again. OTC is the draft king. At some point, when I can reclaim some bit of time from the universe, I hope to do a complete review for my records.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/154437-maddogs-final-wrap-grade-niners/search=OTC

Haha, nice C grade for Aldon Smith MD.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Haha, nice C grade for Aldon Smith MD.

Ha, can't give him too hard a time on that since most hated the pick. The one thing to take away from his analysis of the pick: don't ever trust combine numbers.
Share 49ersWebzone