There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SteveYoung's Mock offseason version 3.0

I want Marvin Jones. I think he will be better than Dwight Jones. I like Jarius Wright though. Not bad. We need to keep things in tact and keep most of our guys.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
I'd rather keep Williams. May not be the best Returner we've got but honestly, I wouldve started him from day one at Reciever. should be the #2. Tired of him getting blamed for us losing. Maybe if the offense was producing, he wouldnt of felt like he had to try and win the game with a long return. Anyways
As far as recievers go, id draft Dwight Jones in first and T.Y Hilton in the 4-5. We need to address our secondary, O-Line and LBs with picks 2-4
We could pick up a RB in FA. (Im reaching for Montee Ball next season, a guy can dream)
Id take Trumaine Johnson in the 4th for the fact that he can play corner or FS. 6'2 and 204.
If Jones is gone I guess we go for Brian Quick? or Best Available Corner/Reciever

What do you mean "you would have started Williams at day one at WR" Surely you dont mean he should be our starter at WR next year do you? There is a reason he was a 6th round pick. He is nothing special. He is not a good returner as well. He let one drop with a fair catch when he had 30 yards to run then he fielded one when guys were in his face and he fumbled. He singlehandedly lost us that game and I see no way in which he will be back next year. A big reason our offense wasn't producing against NY was because he was our #2 WR. He is a #5 or #6 guy at best and should never, EVER be returning kicks every again.

I'd love to get TY Hilton but there is no chance he is available in rounds 4/5. His skill set is identical to Detroit's Titus Young drafted 44th overall last year and Green Bay's Randall Cobb drafted 64th overall last year.

I would also love Trumaine Johnson but like Hilton, there is no chance he is available in round 4. Mid 2/3 is where he goes.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 27, 2012 at 4:28 AM ]
Id rather have another OLB like Chase Thomas instead of Fleener or any TE. Thomas could actually come right in and compete for starting time since he knows the defense already. Its not like Fleener will be taking touches away from Vernon but I wouldnt complain if by some slim chance Fleener is still around when we pick.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
C'mon man, 16th against the pass, we could use an upgrade at the position and competition for Brown. Holcomb is unknown, Brock is a #4 and like I said, we could use an upgrade at the #2 spot.

Who cares what they were in pass yardage? What about points against and run defense?

Tarell Brown is a flat out stud and emerging star. There is a reason teams didn't throw his way. Rogers got picked on more than Brown this year. The last thing we need is an upgrade on Tarell Brown's position. And no 2nd/3rd round rookie will come close to his play anyways.

Of course a team is going to go pass heavy if they cant run on us.

If you look at the teams that went pass heavy on us, you'd see they win the TOP. Brown is very suspect in man-coverage, its when he knows he has Safety help he shines. Culliver, even though he was a rookie has been inconsistent throughout the season and still think hes not ready to step in as a starter. Brock and Holcomb are shaky, just don't believe you can't see how this is really is one of our needs.

this
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,325
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If you look at the teams that went pass heavy on us, you'd see they win the TOP. Brown is very suspect in man-coverage, its when he knows he has Safety help he shines. Culliver, even though he was a rookie has been inconsistent throughout the season and still think hes not ready to step in as a starter. Brock and Holcomb are shaky, just don't believe you can't see how this is really is one of our needs.

Can you count on one hand how many big plays Brown gave up this year? We are 3 deep at CB and Brock is a very solid #4. Holcomb showed good enough potential that we felt it was Ok to release Phillip Adams who had loads of potential as well. We are 5 deep at CB if Rogers comes back. I see two or three guys in this draft who would be a starter over Brown. And there is no way we spend a 1st on a CB if Rogers re-signs. None.

You must have missed Brown's INT on Devery Henderson. Pure 1 on 1 coverage against one of the fastest guys in the league.

As for the TOP, dont you think the fact that we were last in 3rd down % is a bigger reason we lost the TOP battle in some games?

Any DB can shine if our front 7 continues to play like they did last year. Ask the Steelers how many high picks then spend on their secondary. A good pass rush makes average DB's great.

Wow, so nevermind that we've been calling for an upgrade over Brown all year, but lets just bring up ONE of his big plays hes made. I guess you forgot about him being owned in Seattle and avoiding contact on two plays in that game.

LOL check out Brown in this vid, its like he completely opens the door for Baldwain: http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seahawks/09000d5d82562b5b/QB-Jackson-to-WR-Baldwin-13-yd-pass-TD

Seriously, your crazy if you think we're going into next season with Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock and Holcomb, I'll pretty much guarantee you that we won't.

Nobody is saying how come you don't have a first day pick spent on a CB or DB, its the fact that YOU didn't draft one period.

And your right the Steeler's don't spend high draft picks on CB's, WHY, because they were fortunate enough to find a starter in Ike Taylor in the 4th round and McFadden in the 2nd in '05. And trust me I'd take McFadden or Taylor over Brown any day of the week, oh and they just drafted Curtis Brown in the 3rd this past draft.

But whatever this is your Mock Draft, no since getting all worked up over moves you'd like to see.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
So Williams get you a 3rd round pick (129 point difference)? You draft 3 WR, resign 2, and have Crabtree on contract, while resigning everyone of importance, and have 4 TE including Bynum on contract. Love your enthusiasm.

Why cant we re-sign all our guys? 45 mil+ says we can.

And having 6 WR' is frowned upon now-adays? We have two under contract as of today. And Williams is a major question mark to even be back leaving us with Crabtree.

And yes, I think we carry 4 TE's. After all, a two and even three TE formation is what we field most of the time anyways.

I would love to have VD, Walker, and a guy like Fleener, all lined up together,,i think this would really help in the redzone..,,, but i dont know how much better Fleener would be then bynum,, or if is better.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
What do you mean "you would have started Williams at day one at WR" Surely you dont mean he should be our starter at WR next year do you? There is a reason he was a 6th round pick. He is nothing special. He is not a good returner as well. He let one drop with a fair catch when he had 30 yards to run then he fielded one when guys were in his face and he fumbled. He singlehandedly lost us that game and I see no way in which he will be back next year. A big reason our offense wasn't producing against NY was because he was our #2 WR. He is a #5 or #6 guy at best and should never, EVER be returning kicks every again.

I'd love to get TY Hilton but there is no chance he is available in rounds 4/5. His skill set is identical to Detroit's Titus Young drafted 44th overall last year and Green Bay's Randall Cobb drafted 64th overall last year.

I would also love Trumaine Johnson but like Hilton, there is no chance he is available in round 4. Mid 2/3 is where he goes.

You mention all these guys that wont be around due to similar measurables to NFL receivers but then have Fleener falling to the 2nd when a similar 6'6 TE named Gronk is taking the NFL and postseason by storm... dont see it happening.

Jones would be nice, but IMO there will be a run on receivers in the 1st so any WR left at our pick would be a reach compared to value at other positions like DB, OL, DL, and OLB. Not tryin to knock your draft, just think how it actually plays out will be more focused on BPA rather than need.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. We are 2 fumbles away from the Super Bowl.

Noo, we are 12 maybe 8 3rd down conversions away from a superbowl. The biggest "offensive play" of the 4th quarter was the 40 sumthn yard punt return by Williams. And why was that? because the offense couldnt get anything done. Soo ACTAULLY
We were one block away from the superbowl because on that return, Williams had already beat the kicker but somebody missed a block and clipped williams enough for him to go down. If somebody made tht one block, he woulda returned it for a TD

And despite the 3rd downs if we don't fumble 2 times and spot them 10 points we are in the Super Bowl. We won despite that. No way they beat us without us gift wrapping them 10 points deep in our own territory.
Even still. If Williams hadn't fumbled, we weren't moving the ball. if the score stayed tied in overtime we would have had to have another big play from VD. Our overtime offensive plays were crap. Neither Defense was budging in overtime so that game came down to the team that made a mistake. if it wasn't kyle williams, it would have been someone else sooner or later.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wow WR heavy in your Mock Draft, I'd be OK with this draft. But hey, where's the damn CB's at??

If we re-sign Rogers, he along with Brown and Culliver would settle it well. I fully believe that is what will happen.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by 49erfan3252:
LOL @ Trading Kyle Williams..get over it already

Can Harbaugh trust him?

as a punt returner? no. good thing he isnt a punt returner. hes a WR, and a promising one. keep him away from ST, and he'll be an asset.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Even the real Steve Young wouldn't spend 4 picks on receivers!!! (1 of which is a TE)

With Byham coming back and Reuland off the practice squad, I don't see the need to make the move for Fleener. I do agree with multiple WR picks. Everything I have read since the playoffs began is about how the 49ers need a big upgrade in that position if they are to contend seriously for the SB.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. We are 2 fumbles away from the Super Bowl.

Noo, we are 12 maybe 8 3rd down conversions away from a superbowl. The biggest "offensive play" of the 4th quarter was the 40 sumthn yard punt return by Williams. And why was that? because the offense couldnt get anything done. Soo ACTAULLY
We were one block away from the superbowl because on that return, Williams had already beat the kicker but somebody missed a block and clipped williams enough for him to go down. If somebody made tht one block, he woulda returned it for a TD

And despite the 3rd downs if we don't fumble 2 times and spot them 10 points we are in the Super Bowl. We won despite that. No way they beat us without us gift wrapping them 10 points deep in our own territory.
I agree with you SanDiego, but its old, he made a mistake, hes young, it happens, just be happy this wasn't the Super Bowl. I'm glad he had the courage to try and make a play, because the rest of our offense surly wasn't doing it.
We still would need another CB but otherwise I'd be happy with that.

Also you are not the 1st to suggest it but what is the past or league wide precedent with giving special teamers like Costanzo 4 year deals. Really? I thought those were guys who are happy to have a job? He had a great season, but 4 yrs for a ST guy that doesnt return, score touchdowns, ect....I say give Brad Seely a 4 yr deal

Seriously, do teams give special teamers that will never play anything else 4 yr contacts? Excluding kickers and return guys
I like the part when he traded Kyle Williams
Originally posted by RonRon:
I would love to have VD, Walker, and a guy like Fleener, all lined up together,,i think this would really help in the redzone..,,, but i dont know how much better Fleener would be then bynum,, or if is better.

Fleener is 6'6, so taller than Bynum and faster too. He's a pretty solid blocker, as well. I could see Fleener being our #2 TE very quickly.